Idli also called rice cake, is arguably one of the…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
When it comes to the world of weight loss, the search for the perfect food often feels like a difficult journey. We’ve all heard the proverb, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” but what about the bananas? In this blog, we’ll peel back the layers of this question: Is banana good for weight loss?
Bananas have long been a favorite among health-conscious individuals, athletes, and smoothie enthusiasts. But many think that bananas make them fat. Do they really make you fat? Let’s explore the nutritional goodness and explore how incorporating bananas into your diet might just be the secret ingredient you’ve been missing on your path to a healthier you.
Banana Vs Weight Loss
People think that bananas contain fat that can make you fatter. However, that is not true. Bananas contain only 0.3 grams of fat. They are healthy and provide a lot of nutrition to our bodies. As compared to other high-carbohydrate foods, bananas have a low to medium glycemic index. They can be your daily carbs to lose weight.
Many have a misconception that it is high in calories. Well, No! Bananas are high in fiber and low in calories. Eating bananas can provide you with fiber which is important for maintaining regular bowel habits and your digestive health.
High fiber reduces the risk of various diseases such as heart disease, diverticular disease, and even some cancers as well. The best part about fiber is that it makes you feel full for a longer time and hence you eat less. When you eat less, the amount of calorie count reduces and it helps you to lose weight.
So, eating bananas the right way and at the right time can actually help in weight loss.
Do you know why so many people think that bananas can cause weight gain? It is because they think that bananas contain high amounts of sugar which are not true.
Bananas contain carbohydrates that come from sugar, and starch and are a high fiber diet. A medium-sized banana contains about 14 g of sugar along with sugar bananas also have essential nutrients such as vitamin C and B6, as well as fiber.
This amount of sugar is less if compared to packaged foods such as digestive cookies which are preferred by people losing weight.
Nutrient Profile Of Banana
Banana contains the following nutrients:
|Potassium||9% of RDI|
|Vitamin B6||33% of RDI|
|Vitamin C||11% of RDI|
|Magnesium||14% of RDI|
|Copper||10 % of RDI|
|Manganese||14% of RDI|
|Net Carbohydrates||24 gm|
RDI- Recommended Daily Dietary
Health Benefits Of Banana For Weight Loss
- Bananas are packed with essential nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), vitamin B9 (folate), potassium, and manganese. Bananas contain small amounts of several vitamins and minerals that contribute to bone health, including calcium and vitamin K.
- The vitamin C in bananas supports collagen production, which is important for maintaining healthy skin. Bananas contain various antioxidants, including dopamine and vitamin C, which help protect cells from oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- The potassium rich food content in bananas helps regulate blood pressure and support heart health. Potassium helps neutralize the effects of sodium, which helps maintain a healthy blood pressure level. The high potassium content in bananas helps support kidney health and reduce the risk of kidney stones.
- Bananas contain dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble, which aids in proper digestion and can help prevent constipation. They slow down the absorption of sugar and prevent rapid spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels.
- Bananas are a great source of carbohydrates. They provide a quick and easily digestible source of energy. It is good for a pre-workout snack.
- Bananas contain tryptophan, an amino acid that gets converted into serotonin, the “feel-good” neurotransmitter. It improves your mood and reduces symptoms of depression.
- Bananas contain a small amount of iron, which can help prevent iron deficiency anemia.
- Bananas have natural antacid properties that can help alleviate heartburn and acid reflux symptoms.
Banana Benefits In Weight Loss Too!
- A Banana is low calorie fruit, and a medium banana has 105 calories which makes it a relatively low-calorie option. Having a low-calorie food can help you lose weight.
- They are a good source of fiber. After consuming a fiber-rich food we feel full and this prevents us from overeating and thus helps in weight loss.
- One of the important points to understand while losing weight is that weight loss does not depend on the inclusion of one particular food in your diet. It depends on what you eat throughout your day along with other factors such as your physical activities and your body’s metabolism.
Ways To Have Bananas In Your Diet
Here comes the most important part when people are skeptical about whether bananas are good for weight loss or not. Let’s learn how to include bananas in the diet.
- Bananas should be added to your diet plan as the main meal.
- It should not be added as a snack to the diet plan.
- Also, if you are suffering from any medical condition such as diabetes, you need to control your portion of bananas.
- You can add up to one medium-sized banana to your diet.
- While choosing a banana for your diet, try to choose a little green and raw banana. The reason behind this is that fully ripe and yellow bananas have more sugar and can raise your body’s sugar levels. Moreover, prefer a medium ripe-sized banana.
- If you love to work out and spend money on expensive pre-workout shakes, you can just replace those fancy shakes with just banana shakes or bananas.
Nutshell On Banana Good For Weight Loss
Next time you want to choose a banana for your weight loss diet, make sure you choose the banana size as per your diet requirement. It should not be overripe.
So, by now we know the answer to Is Banana Good for Weight Loss or not. Thus, remember that bananas do not make you fat. It is not high in calories but is high in fiber. Moreover, Bananas do not contain high sugar and have a low to moderate glycemic index. It contains resistant starch and fibers which help you feel full. Also, you can combine bananas with various foods to prepare desserts.
Banana Shake Recipe For Weight Loss
Did you know that there is another hidden superfood for weight loss? It is low in calories and has more calcium, magnesium, and potassium. These are qualities of drumsticks, try to include them in your food now and then. Click here to learn more about these tasty sticks.
Fitelo Changing People’s Lives
Mehak has been struggling with obesity since childhood. During her college days, she tried to lose weight but nothing worked. With Fitelo she lost 34 kg and 34 inches in 180 days. Find out how Fitelo helped her lose weight.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Know Which Banana Fits In The Right Glycemic Load Index?
The score of the glycemic load index is interpreted as < 55: Low, 56-69: Medium, and > 70: High. A moderate banana has a glycemic index of 55. The ripeness of the banana affects the glycemic index. A fully ripe medium-sized banana provides a high glycemic index which can increase your sugar levels. Thus, both the factors of ripeness and weight of the banana go hand in hand.
Does Banana Contain A Lot Of Starch?
Bananas contain starch and the type of starch that is present in it is resistant starch. They act like soluble fiber in the body and contain various potential health benefits which include weight loss and reduction in blood sugar levels. They also help to slow down the absorption of sugar from foods which have two advantages. One, it helps you feel full and second it helps to keep the blood sugar level stable.
Can Bananas Be Consumed By Diabetics?
Surprisingly Yes! The important point is that it should be consumed in moderate amounts. Banana comprises sugar and carbohydrates. However, it has a low glycemic index and is rich in fiber and thus can be consumed by diabetics.
Can People With Conditions Like PCOD And Thyroid Have Bananas?
If you are suffering from medical conditions like PCOD or thyroid, don’t hesitate to include bananas in your diet. Bananas are rich sources of potassium which helps in regulating blood pressure and they contain B vitamins which help in maintaining sugar levels. Thus, women suffering from PCOD are advised to have a moderate size of bananas.
Do Bananas Cause bloating?
No! Bananas are an excellent source of potassium. They prevent retention of water by maintaining sodium levels in the body and thus reduce salt-induced bloating. Bananas are high in fiber which thus helps relieve and prevent constipation.
It is important to note that every individual’s dietary needs and preferences are unique. It’s essential to consult a registered dietitian before introducing something new to your meal plan based on specific macronutrient goals and nutritional needs. So, contact us today if you are looking for a customized diet plan. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you make healthier and better food choices. So be aware and take care. The most important thing to consider is your health before starting any diet. Always seek advice from a doctor or dietitian if you have any concerns before starting.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long, happy life.