White sauce pasta is every household favorite. The creamy, rich,…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Good health requires healthy food, but people think healthy food is not as tasty as unhealthy or junk is. And because of this thought process, they start following the wrong track when it comes to eating.
However, a simple question for you is, “Whatever you eat, do you always think about how it tastes?” Well, surely 80% of people do that because food should be yes of course tasty but what about healthy?
So, here the point is, that whatever you eat, decides your span of life. The more unhealthy you eat, the more you will fall sick, ending up visiting a doctor and eating medicines.
But you can avoid this situation, by start eating a healthy diet, and for this, you just need to make a small change in your lifestyle by adding the right foods. So, let us start with barley because it is easy to add to your diet and, moreover, barley benefits are several in number which are discussed below in this blog.
What Is Barley?
Barley is a whole grain rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. However, this cereal grain is mostly used in bread, beverages, stews, and other dishes. Barley is a member of the grass family which is grown in temperate climates globally. It is, however, one of the first cultivated grains, particularly in Eurasia as early as 10,000 years ago.
Nutrition Of Barley
Here is the table for you to go through the nutrients that barley contains and how much should be the intake of it in adults. In this, it also mentioned hulled and pearl barley, and right below is the definition of them.
Hulled barley: It is covered barley that is minimally processed to remove the tough inedible outer hull. It’s difficult to remove the hull carefully and therefore, then it is considered to be a whole grain.
Pearl barley: However, pearl barley is processed to remove its fibrous outer hull and polish to remove a few or all of the bran layer.
|Nutrient||Hulled Barley||Pearl Barley||Recommended Intake In Adults|
|Energy||354 g||352 g||1,600–3,000 g|
|Protein||12.5 g||9.9 g||46–56 g|
|Fat||2.3 g||1.2 g||20–35 g|
|Carbohydrate||73.5 g||77.7 g||45–65 g|
|Fiber||17.3 g||15.6 g||22.4–33.6 g|
|Calcium||33 mg||29 mg||1,000–1,200 mg|
|Iron||3.6 mg||2.5 mg||8–18 mg|
|Magnesium||133 mg||79 mg||320–420 mg|
|Phosphorus||264 mg||221 mg||700 mg|
|Potassium||452 mg||280 mg||4,700 mg|
|Sodium||12 mg||9 mg||2,300 mg|
|Manganese||1.9 mg||1.32 mg||1.8–2.3 mg|
|Selenium||37.7 mcg||37.7 mcg||55 mcg|
|Folate||19 mcg||23 mcg||400 mcg|
Benefits Of Eating Barley
Dietitians recommend adding Barley to the weight loss diet because of some reasons. However, these reasons are the health benefits of barley for your body. So, read below to know about them.
1. Packed With Nutrients
Barley is packed with nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and other plant compounds that are essential for the body. Also, keep in mind, barley does not contain antinutrients that will impair nutrient absorption or digestion.
2. Barley Benefits Heart
Barley contains flavonoids, which are highly-researched phytochemicals and substance in whole grains that further, protects you against heart diseases, like heart stroke, and even certain types of cancer. However, blue and purple barley grains contain the highest amount of flavonoids among the different barley varieties.
3. Contains Lignans
Barley, however, contains lignans which are a phytochemical that is an antioxidant according to the research. It further helps you protect from tumors, viral, and bacteria, and against coronary heart disease.
4. Barley Benefits Weight Loss
Barley is high in fiber which helps food move through your gut and further, promotes a good balance of gut bacteria. This further, plays an important role in digestion and aids in weight loss.
5. Prevents Gallstones
However, barley contains a type of insoluble fiber that helps prevent the formation of gallstones and reduces gallbladder surgery. For your information, the formation of the gallbladder in the gallbladder can lead to intense pain though.
6. Lower Cholesterol Levels
Barley, apart from being rich in nutrients, also, contains beta-glucans that further, help reduce the cholesterol levels in your body. It prevents the formation and increases its excretion through the feces.
7. Barley Benefits Diabetes
Intake of barley, however, improves insulin secretion, and reduces blood sugar levels, further, protecting you against the risk of type 2 diabetes. Therefore, it is safe to add barley to the diet of people suffering from diabetes.
8. Easy To Add To Diet
Barley is, however, easily available in the market and is very affordable. It is versatile and easy to add to your diet. You can use it in any of your dishes to garnish like soups, salads, stews, etc.
9. Barley Benefits Arthritis
Barley also contains Copper, which further, helps reduce the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Moreover, Copper disarms free radicals, helps cell regeneration, and is also, essential in cross-linking collagen and elastin, which makes bones and joints flexible.
10. Barley Benefits Body Tissues
Barley is rich in phosphorus which aids in cell regeneration and helps in forming bone. It is, however, important for the building block of the genetic code. Therefore, it also plays an important role in your nervous system and healthy cell membranes.
How To Use Barley
Well, barley is used in various ways and there are many recipes also, for it. Let us discuss some best recipes of barley that you can try.
1. Barley Water
This recipe is excellent for you and is perfect to add to your Indian weight loss diet plan also. Barley water, also, has several health benefits.
2. Barley Tea
However, this is the easiest recipe to make – the barley tea. Follow the below steps.
- Take 1 tsp of barley seeds and roast them on a non-stick pan without using oil.
- Then, add 250 ml water and allow it to boil, and then add roasted barley seeds to it.
- Now switch off the stove and let it cool down a little.
- Then, sieve it and pour it into a cup and drink or also, or you can refrigerate it until needed.
3. Masala Barley
This is another yummy recipe that you can have in your lunch as eating barley benefits in many ways. Follow the method to cook.
- Firstly, add the soaked barley to a pan, saute for a few minutes and then add water to it. Continue cooking.
- Secondly, take a pan, add some 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 8-10 curry leaves, 1 tsp garlic, 1 inch chopped ginger, and 2 chopped green chilies. Saute for a minute
- Thirdly, add chopped 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 capsicum, 1 tomato, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp red chili powder and a pinch of garam masala. Continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add the barley and squeeze some lemon in it, and cook until it is ready to eat.
- You can also, garnish it with coriander leaves before serving.
4. Barley Dalia
Dalia has always been a great option to eat during the weight loss journey. However, try this barley dalia this time.
- Firstly, on a medium flame, dry roast 1/2 cup dalia until it turns brown and transfer to a bowl.
- Secondly, in a pressure cooker, add 1 tsp ghee, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 cup green peas, 1/4 cup chopped carrot/ 1/4 cup chopped cauliflower, 1 tsp grated ginger, and 1 chopped green chili. Now saute well.
- Thirdly, add roasted dalia and mix all ingredients well.
- Now add chopped tomato, also, make sure you do not add it before as it is not supposed to be mashed. Again mix well.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup water, and salt to taste. Cook until one whistle and then serve hot.
5. Barley Soup
So, soup can be enjoyed in any season. So, here is presenting you with a recipe for barley soup which you can add to your low carb diet as well.
- Firstly, soak 1/2 cup of barley for 4 hours then pressure cook it by adding 2 cups of water.
- Secondly, after they are cooked, strain them from water and add to a blender and form a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile, thirdly, in another pan, add 1 tsp olive oil, 1/2 inch ginger, 1/2 tsp garlic, 1 bowl of vegetables of your choice like green peas, carrot, 3 tsp of cooked barley, and you can also add boiled corn.
- Now add the barley water, salt to taste, and the blended barley mixture. Mix well and allow it to cook for a few minutes.
- Your barley soup is ready. Also, if you want you can squeeze some lemon into it.
Lose 4 Kg By Following 4 Tips
If you are in a hurry to lose weight, then follow these simple 4 tips by Dietitian Mac and remember them for your whole life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do Barley Benefits Weight Gain Also?
Ans: Well, barley can help you in gaining weight but you will have to tell your dietitian so that he adds barley recipes according to your goal.
Q. Do Barley Benefit PCOS Patients?
Ans: Barley is rich in fiber, benefits women with PCOS, and moreover, helps them lose weight during this concern.
Q. What Is Barley In Hindi?
Ans: जौ को हिंदी में जौन के नाम से जाना जाता है और यह फाइबर, विटामिन, खनिज और अन्य पोषक तत्वों से भरपूर एक साबुत अनाज है।
Q. Do Barley Juice Benefits Weight Loss?
Ans: Yes, it is good for weight loss and besides this, it also, enhances heart health and improves blood sugar levels. Moreover, you can add this to the menu of your breakfast recipes.
Q. Does Barley Benefit Anemia?
Ans: Yes, because barley, however, contains iron which increases the blood volume, and prevents anemia and fatigue.
Q. Does Barley Benefit Kidneys?
Ans: Yes, barley water is great for kidney stones and cysts also.
Q. Do Barley Benefits Diabetic Patients?
Ans: Yes, barley helps lower the insulin level and blood sugar level further, reducing the risk of diabetes.
Watch This Transformation
Here is Khushi’s transformation who lost 19 kg with PCOD, in just 80 days. Take a look at this.
Just adding barley to the diet without knowing its benefits, is, however, of no use. It is, therefore, important to have knowledge about it and then take a step towards using it. So, Fitelo, tells you how barley benefits your health apart from weight loss and moreover, mentions 5 recipes of it that you can of course try and cook at home.
Are searching for a diet that can help you lose weight in just 1 week? Well, then here it is. Follow this free 7 day diet plan by Fitelo, and notice the inches gone on the last day. It is, however, easy to follow and the meals are super easy to cook. Go check now.
Contact Us Today
If you’re searching for the right guidance as well as better assistance, then your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you to make healthy and better food choices altogether. So, be aware and take care. In addition, it is important thing to consider your health before starting a restrictive diet. However, always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy and also Enjoy a long happy life.