White sauce pasta is every household favorite. The creamy, rich,…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Once upon a time, in a small village which is surrounded by rolling hills, there lived an elderly woman named Grandma Hazel. She was renowned far and wide for her wisdom and vibrant health which is from the benefits of walnuts. Also, she is well known for a mysterious secret she carries with her every day – a pouch filled with walnuts.
The villagers often wonder at her energy and radiant skin, and it wasn’t long before they sought her guidance. With a twinkle in her eye, Grandma Hazel would share tales of the magical walnut benefits that had been passed down through generations.
Then the villagers come to know the power of walnuts to enhance memory, protect hearts, and bestow a natural glow upon those who embrace them. So, let’s unravel the enchanting story of walnuts and the incredible benefits, they offer to those who savor their wonders.
What Are Walnuts?
Walnuts or akhrot (in Hindi) are edible seeds or nuts that are harvested from the fruit of the walnut tree. Scientifically known as Juglans regia. Thus, these nuts are enclosed in a hard, woody shell and are characterized by their distinct, wrinkled, and light brown or tan-colored kernels.
So, here we are sharing the two main types of walnuts commonly consumed:
- English Walnuts (Juglans regia): These are the most commonly found walnuts in stores and are known for their mild, sweet flavor. They have a thin shell that is relatively easy to crack open, revealing the edible kernel inside.
- Black Walnuts (Juglans nigra): Black walnuts are native to North America and are known for their stronger, earthy flavor. They have a thicker, harder shell that can be challenging to crack open compared to English walnuts also found in Bharat (India).
Did you know walnuts are highly nutritious and are a good source of healthy fats, particularly omega-3 fatty acids?
They also provide essential nutrients like vitamins (such as B vitamins) and minerals (such as magnesium). However, walnuts also come under a list of foods rich in antioxidants.
Benefits Of Walnut Fruit: Nutritional Value
So, here’s a table providing an overview of the approximate walnuts nutrition value of 28 grams of English walnuts:
|Nutrient||Amount per 28g|
|Total Fat||18.5 grams|
|Saturated Fat||1.7 grams|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 grams|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||13.4 grams|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids (ALA)||2.5 grams|
|Omega-6 Fatty Acids||10.9 grams|
|Total Carbohydrates||3.9 grams|
|Dietary Fiber||1.9 grams|
|Vitamin E||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.2 mg|
|Niacin (Vitamin B3)||0.2 mg|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)||0.1 mg|
|Thiamin (Vitamin B1)||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin K||0.8 mcg|
Walnuts are a nutrient-dense food and are particularly rich in healthy fats, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and various vitamins and minerals, making them a valuable addition to a balanced diet.
What Are The Overall Health Benefits Of Walnuts (Akhrot Benefits)
So, here are the benefits of eating walnuts explained in detail:
1. Heart Health
Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Walnuts are one of the omega 3 rich foods. Also, a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a type of omega-3 fatty acid. Consuming ALA has been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease by lowering bad cholesterol levels (LDL) and improving overall cholesterol profiles.
2. Walnut Benefits For The Brain Function
Omega-3 fatty acids, particularly ALA, are known to support cognitive function and protect against age-related cognitive decline. They may also reduce the risk of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.
3. Antioxidant Properties
Antioxidants: Walnuts contain polyphenols, vitamin E, and other antioxidants that combat oxidative stress, reducing inflammation and the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and cancer.
4. Weight Management
Satiety: Despite their calorie content, walnuts can help control appetite due to their high protein, fiber, and healthy fat content, making them a satisfying and nutritious snack that aids in weight management.
5. Control Blood Sugar
Improved Insulin Sensitivity: Some studies suggest that incorporating walnuts into a balanced diet may improve insulin sensitivity. Also, potentially helping individuals with diabetes regulate blood sugar levels.
6. Anti-Inflammatory Effects
Reduced Inflammation: Walnuts’ antioxidants and healthy fats have been associated with reduced inflammation in the body, which is beneficial for overall health and chronic disease prevention.
7. Reduce The Risk Of Certain Cancers
Cancer Protection: Emerging research indicates that compounds in walnuts, such as ellagitannins, may have protective effects against certain types of cancer, including breast and prostate cancer.
8. Walnuts For Anti-Aging
Cellular Health: Many health nutritionists involve walnuts in anti aging diet plan due to their antioxidant properties. The antioxidants in walnuts may help protect cells from damage, potentially slowing down the aging process.
Benefits Of Walnuts: What Is The Best Way To Consume Them?
Walnuts are incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed in various forms. So, here are some popular and nutritious ways to incorporate walnuts:
1. Raw Snacking: Eating a handful (about 1 ounce or 28 grams) of raw walnuts as a snack is one of the simplest ways to enjoy their natural flavor and nutritional benefits. Keep a small container of walnuts with you for a quick and convenient on-the-go snack.
2. Roasted Walnuts: Roasting walnuts can enhance their flavor and texture. To roast walnuts, spread them on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 8-10 minutes or until they become fragrant.
3. Chopped And Toppings: Chop walnuts and use them as toppings for salads, yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal. They add a satisfying crunch and nutty flavor to your meals.
4. Walnut Butter: Make your own walnut butter by blending raw or roasted walnuts in a food processor until smooth. You can enjoy it on whole-grain toast, in sandwiches, or as a dip for fruits and vegetables.
5. Trail Mix: Create a homemade trail mix by combining walnuts with other nuts, dried fruits, and a touch of dark chocolate for a balanced and nutritious snack.
6. Baking And Cooking: Incorporate chopped walnuts into muffins, pancakes, waffles, or bread recipes for added texture and nutty flavor. They can also be used in stuffing, meatloaf, and various savory dishes.
7. Smoothies: Add a tablespoon or two of walnut butter or a handful of walnuts to your morning smoothie for an extra boost of healthy fats, protein, and a creamy texture.
8. Walnut Pesto: Prepare a flavorful walnut pesto by blending walnuts with basil, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and a dash of lemon juice. Serve it as a pasta sauce, on sandwiches, or as a dip.
What Are The Benefits Of Soaked Walnuts?
Consuming soaked walnuts in the morning offers several potential health benefits due to the unique properties of walnuts and the advantages of soaking them. So, here’s are some soaked walnuts benefits for you:
1. Improved Digestibility
Soaking walnuts overnight can make them easier to digest. Thus, this process reduces the phytic acid content, which is an anti-nutrient that can interfere with the absorption of minerals like calcium, iron, and zinc. Also, soaking helps neutralize phytic acid, making the nutrients in walnuts more bioavailable.
2. Enhanced Nutrient Absorption
By reducing phytic acid, soaking walnuts can enhance the absorption of essential minerals and vitamins from both the walnuts themselves and other foods you consume during the day.
3. Digestive Health
Soaked walnuts can be gentler on the digestive system, potentially reducing the risk of digestive discomfort, bloating, or gas that some individuals may experience when consuming raw or unsoaked nuts.
4. Walnuts For Hydration
Soaked walnuts are higher in moisture content, contributing to your daily hydration needs. This can be especially beneficial when consumed in the morning to kickstart your day with proper hydration.
5. Nutrient Retention
While some nutrients may leach into the soaking water, the majority of essential nutrients remain in the soaked walnuts, ensuring that you still benefit from their nutritional value.
6. Walnuts Benefits For Brain Health
Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is beneficial for brain health and cognitive function. Also, consuming soaked walnuts in the morning may provide an early boost to brain function and focus. Walnuts are one of the best brain boosting food for young ones.
Enjoy Benefits Of Walnuts With These Recipes
From savory salads to delectable desserts, let’s explore a variety of creative ways to incorporate this:
1. Pear And Walnut Salad Recipe
A delightful fusion of crisp, juicy pears, crunchy walnuts, and vibrant greens, all brought together with a zesty dressing. This refreshing salad is not only a symphony of flavors and textures but also a nutritious and visually appealing addition to your dining table.
2. Walnut-Crusted Salmon
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Firstly, preheat your oven to 190°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Secondly, in a bowl, combine crushed walnuts, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, mix yellow mustard and honey.
- Brush each salmon fillet with the mustard-honey mixture.
- Press the mustard-coated side of each salmon fillet into the walnut mixture to create a walnut crust.
- Place the salmon fillets on the prepared baking sheet, walnut side up.
- Drizzle olive oil over the salmon.
- Bake until the salmon is cooked. And turns the walnut crust golden brown.
- Serve hot with your favorite side dishes.
3. Walnut And Spinach Salad
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- In a large salad bowl, combine the fresh spinach leaves, chopped walnuts, crumbled feta cheese, dried cranberries or raisins, and thinly sliced red onion.
- Drizzle with your preferred dressing and toss the salad to evenly coat the ingredients.
- Serve immediately as a delicious and nutritious side salad or add grilled chicken or salmon for a complete meal.
A Word From Fitelo On Benefits Of Walnuts
Walnuts offer a multitude of health benefits, making them a valuable addition to your diet. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, they promote heart health by reducing bad cholesterol levels and supporting overall cardiovascular well-being. These nuts are also known for their brain-boosting properties.
It potentially enhances cognitive function and protects against age-related decline. Their fiber content aids in weight management and blood sugar control, making them a smart choice for those with diabetes. With vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients that offer a holistic approach to improving your overall health.
Incredible Weight Loss Journey – Fitelo
Today, let’s read about the incredible transformation of Komal and know that we have recommended she follow a diet plan for weight loss for females. This success story of Komal whose full name is ‘Komaldeep’ who lost 14 Kg in just 90 days without any workout.
Homemade Banana Walnut Brownies | No Sugar Added | Weight Loss Recipe
We love chocolate brownies. It’s a stress buster and mood uplifter for all those who have a sweet tooth. But a lot of us have to ignore our taste buds for our health or to lose weight. So, here is the healthy recipe for you straight from Fitelo Kitchen.
Is poha the best weight loss snack? Interested in finding out the answer? If yes then learn more about this fact through our social platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Impact Of Incorporating Walnut For Diabetes?
Walnuts are a good source of healthy fats, fiber, and protein, which can help stabilize blood sugar levels. Thus, the fiber in walnuts slows down the absorption of carbohydrates, leading to better blood sugar control.
How Does Walnut Oil Benefits Heart Health And Brain Function?
The benefits of Walnut oil mainly include heart health and brain function due to its high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties. Omega-3s support cardiovascular health by reducing cholesterol levels and lowering the risk of heart disease.
How Can Walnut Benefits For Hair Health?
The presence of rich content of nutrients like biotin, vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids plays an important role. Also, biotin promotes hair growth, vitamin E protects hair from oxidative stress, and omega-3 fatty acids nourish the scalp and hair follicles, leading to healthier, shinier, and potentially stronger hair.
What Are The Key Walnut Benefits For Skin Health?
Walnuts for skin health include providing essential nutrients, such as omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Also, helps in maintaining skin moisture, reducing inflammation, and promoting a healthier and radiant complexion.
How Many Walnuts To Eat Per Day?
The recommended daily serving of walnuts is approximately 28 grams, which is equivalent to about 14 halves or a small handful per day.
What Are The Specific Health Benefits Of Walnuts For Females?
It includes potential support for hormonal balance, nourishment for skin and hair, and a source of nutrients like folate and iron important for women’s health.
Are There Any Walnut Benefits For Men?
The benefits of this fruit for men include improved heart health due to their omega-3 fatty acids. Also, it provides potential support for prostate health and enhanced brain function. Moreover, a great source of protein and healthy fats for overall nutrition and energy.
Contact Us Today
Get in touch with our expert team at Fitelo to kick-start your own transformative journey! Let us guide you toward your weight loss goals and help you cultivate sustainable & healthy eating habits. So, contact us today and take the first step towards a healthier, happier you with Fitelo!
This blog post is written to help you make healthy and better food choices. So, be aware and take care. The vital thing to consider is your own health before starting a restrictive diet. Therefore, always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long, happy life.