Kulcha, a mildly leavened flatbread variety, is an invention of…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 35,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Ramadan month is going on, and dates for weight loss are the most essential picks during the fasting month. Dates are a long-time celebrated food of Middle Eastern culture. Opening roza with dates is a cultural norm in Muslim culture.
However, in recent years, people have begun avoiding dates because of their richness in fat and calories. But the truth is quite the contrary, as dates are best for weight loss. Let’s find out how!
What Are Dates?
Dates, scientifically called Phoenix dactylifera, are the sweet fruits of palm trees. They are mainly found in the Middle East, Africa, India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. These dates have different types of varieties depending on the fructose, glucose, and sucrose content.
Dates are a great source of dietary fiber, protein, fats, and minerals such as iron, copper, calcium, sodium, etc. Also full of vitamins like A, B1, B2, C, and niacin.
So, it is quite clear from their nutrition profile that dates are not only super delicious but also highly nutritious. Here, we are sharing a detailed nutritional value table with you to help you understand.
Nutritional Value Of Dates For Weight Loss
Dates are a type of fruit that is extracted from palm trees. What we commonly consume is the dried version of the date fruit. It is a bit in the form of chewy and has a heavy amount of sweetness. But the presence of calories in dates is a bit higher than in fresh fruit because they are dried.
The nutritional value of 28 grams per serving of dates is as follows:
|Fat||Less than 1 g|
Please Note: Here 1g carbs= 4 Calories, 1g Protein= 4 Calories, 1g Fat= 9 Calories. And *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
After understanding the nutritional value of dates, let’s move on to how dates to aid in weight loss.
Should We Have Dates For Weight Loss?
Dates, or Khajoor for weight loss, have recently come to be known as a healthy superfood. This tropical fruit is known for its immunity-boosting properties.
Rich in potassium, iron, and vitamins, dates have a range of healthy health advantages. But the best part of this fruit is that it is a great source of weight loss. So, let’s see how:
1. Highly Fibrous
Dates are a good source of dietary fiber. The presence of fibers in dates keeps the human body full for a longer time, thus preventing us from snacking. Also, in this way, it helps in boosting metabolism.
2. Rich In Protein
As dates are rich in protein, they are great for weight loss. The presence of high protein in dates aids in maintaining a healthy mass and keeps your muscles strong. So, this goes a long way toward keeping your weight in check.
3. Great Source Of Unsaturated Fatty Acids
Many of us know that not all fats are bad for the body. An unsaturated fatty acid is an example of a healthy fat that is found in dates. These fatty acids help the human body reduce inflammation, which is linked to obesity, diabetes, etc. So, consuming such fatty acids will help you keep all these diseases at bay.
4. Full With Antioxidants
Dates are a great source of antioxidants, for example, phenolics, carotenoids, anthocyanins, etc. These antioxidants help flush out the toxins from the body and help boost metabolism and digestion. Antioxidants in dates also help to fight harmful free radicals in the body and help in stress management and inflammation. Thus, all these lead to weight loss.
5. Anti-diabetic Properties
Dates are high in natural sugar, which keeps the blood sugar level in check. However, the presence of rich flavonoids, phenolics, and saponins revitalizes insulin production in the body. Moreover, dates have a low glycemic index, which means they help regulate blood sugar levels in the body.
Also, Read: From Gut Health To Weight Management: Are Dates Good For Diabetes?
How To Include Dates For Weight Loss In Your Regular Diet
We can incorporate dates for weight loss into our regular diet in various ways. Such as:
- Breakfasts: You can add dates to oatmeal, granola, or cereal.
- Salads: Can add dates to fresh fruit or vegetable salads.
- Snacks: Easily grab 1-2 dates in the evening or add them to a trail mix.
- Lunches or dinners: You can have dates in your soups or stews.
- Smoothies: Prepare date smoothies, can use them as sweetening syrup in shakes, yogurt, etc.
- Desserts: Use as a topping in custards, crush them with peanuts, etc.
- Energy Balls: In a food processor, mix dates, unsweetened coconut, and walnuts. You can easily add a little vanilla and salt before forming the dough into balls. You can even refrigerate them until serving.
- Sugar Substitute: Date syrups are the best natural sweetener that can be used in many recipes. Thus, it is considered the best sugar substitute.
General Health Advantages of Consuming Dates
Here, we are sharing a few general healthy dates benefits of including them in our routine:
- Natural Birth: Several studies suggest that consuming dates in the last months of pregnancy may induce natural labor and ease the pain associated with it.
- Improve Bone Health: Dates are fully packed with calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus, which are all known to promote better bone health. Also, consuming dates prevents bone conditions such as osteoporosis.
- Maintain Diabetes: Dates are low on the glycaemic index and high on fiber. This causes a slower rise in blood sugar levels, which makes dates a great option for managing diabetes.
- Prevent Allergies: The presence of organic sulphur helps reduce allergic reactions.
- Improved Digestion: Richness in fiber helps promote bowel movements. If someone is suffering from constipation, drink a cup of milk with dates and mashed banana. Thus, you will get relief within an hour or two.
- Good Heart Health: Consuming dates regularly in your diet improves your heart health, and it contains many different minerals that help reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol, thereby making dates the ideal heart protectant.
Tips To Buy And Consume Dates
- Try to buy unbroken, smoothly wrinkled dates.
- They must smell fresh.
- Always check the expiration date before buying a pack of dates.
- Before eating dates, wash them thoroughly under running water to remove any dirt or bacteria.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Consume 4-6 dates regularly to lose weight.
Other General Weight Loss Tips
If you want to lose weight, then you can take several steps, such as:
- Reducing Calories: A person with excess body weight can follow a weight loss diet plan that results in a deficit of 500–1,000 calories per day.
- Include a Healthy Diet: Try to include nutritious foods, for example, fruits, green vegetables, and whole grains.
- Exercise Regularly: Always engage in moderately intense exercise for at least 60 to 90 minutes a day. Also, you can include yoga for weight loss and meditation.
A Word From Fitelo On “Dates For Weight Loss”
Including dates in your regular diet is a great addition to your weight-loss journey. Dates are a natural energy source, high in fiber, low on the glycemic index, and rich in antioxidants and minerals, making them a great partner in your weight loss journey.
Dates have value in preventing many other health conditions, such as Alzheimer’s disease and other types of cancer. However, adding dates to your diet regulates your blood sugar levels and provides a natural boost throughout the day.
Is Consuming Subway Healthy?
We often think that subway is a healthy diet to consume in our weight loss journey but did you know this is also one of the unhealthy diets? Surprised? But this is true. So, let’s watch this informative video by Dt. Mac Singh and understand the reason behind this.
Weight Loss Transformation Of A Young Mom
Sakshi Pushkarna, an IT professional from Gurgaon was facing difficulty losing weight especially after giving birth to her daughter. She reached out to a Fitelo dietitian for guidance. Our dietitian worked closely with her to understand her body type and provided a customized diet plan. So, let’s read about her briefly in our new transformation story section.
Ever since Google Baba and influencers have come into the picture chocobar (ice cream) has become a villain and oats cookies are the new heroes. But what is the reality behind all these? To find out the answer click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How Many Dates Should A Person Consume A Day To Lose Weight?
Ans: Dates may help in weight loss only when you consume them in moderation. Excess of anything can lead to weight gain. Thus having 4 to 5 dates every day to satiate your sweet tooth and keep your hunger pangs at bay.
Q: Are Dates Good For Weight Loss?
Ans: Yes, due to the high fiber content, dates may help in effective weight loss. Fibre slows down digestion and keeps you feeling full and satiated for a long time. So, this prevents you from overeating and curbs hunger pangs. Your overall calorie intake is lowered, which may help with weight loss.
Q: When Should A Person Consume Dates To Lose Weight?
Ans: Dates can be an excellent way to add natural sweetness and fiber to your diet in the early morning. High fiber content can keep you full and satisfied throughout the morning. As an afternoon snack. thus, dates are a good source of fiber and are high in natural sugars.
Q: Do Dates Help Burn Belly Fat?
Ans: Can dates reduce belly fat? Dates may contribute to fat loss but may not help with belly fat loss. So, high fiber content helps promote satiety and reduces food consumption, which may trigger weight and fat loss.
Q: What Are The Benefits Of Consuming 2 Dates A Day?
Ans: Dates are rich in fiber, so intake of 2-3 dates everyday morning on an empty stomach can cure you of constipation. Dates help in bowel movement controlling/ directing the formation of normal stool & thus prevents you from constipation.
Q: Why Should We Soak Dates?
Ans: Soaking overnight removes tannins/phytic acid present in dates making it easier for us to absorb the nutrients from them easily. Soaking also makes them laghu (easy to digest).
Contact Us Today
We understand it is a bit tricky which diet plan will work for you and which will not, it can be complicated and confusing, hence you need to consult a professional. So, contact us today if you are looking for a customized diet plan or any diet plans, and we will help you fulfill your new year’s resolution.
This blog post was written to help you to make healthy and better food choices altogether. So, be aware and take care. The important thing to consider is your own health before starting a restrictive diet. Always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.