White sauce pasta is every household favorite. The creamy, rich,…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Winter is a magical time of year, filled with cozy sweaters, hot tea by the fire, and pleasant weather. However, along with all its charms, this season can also bring some not-so-charming effects on our skin – dry skin in winter being one of them.
As the temperatures drop and the air becomes drier, our skin often pays the price by becoming dehydrated and dull. So, how should we keep our skin soft and supple in winter?
In this blog, we will discuss skin dryness in winter – from its causes and symptoms to practical home remedies tips. So, let’s begin!
What Causes Dry Skin In Winter?
Winter season is beautiful, but it can wreak havoc on our skin. Many people experience dry and flaky skin during this time of the year. But why does this happen? Let’s discuss the causes:
1. Cold Weather: When temperatures drop, the air becomes drier, reducing moisture levels in our surroundings. As a result, our skin loses its natural oils and becomes dehydrated.
2. Low Humidity: Winter air in many parts of India tends to be drier, with lower humidity levels. This lack of moisture in the air can lead to the evaporation of skin’s natural moisture, causing dryness.
3. Indoor Heating Systems: While they keep us warm and cozy, they also contribute to drying out our skin. Heating systems remove moisture from the air, leading to further skin dehydration.
4. Hot Showers: Frequent hot baths may feel heavenly on a chilly day but can strip away essential oils from our skin’s surface. The frequent use of harsh soaps or cleansers can also hamper the natural balance of oils and cause dryness.
5. Insufficient Hydration: People often drink less water during winter, thinking they may not feel as thirsty as in warmer seasons. However, staying hydrated is crucial for maintaining skin moisture in any weather. You can try Fitelo’s skin glow shot beverage recipe for gleaming skin!
Also, certain skin conditions, like eczema and psoriasis, can worsen during winter due to cold weather and low humidity. Now that we know what causes dryness during winter, let’s explore some common symptoms now!
Symptoms Of Dry Skin In Winter
Many people experience dry and itchy skin when the winter chill sets in. Cold, dry air outdoors and heated indoor environments can strip moisture content from our skin, leaving it parched and dehydrated. Let’s understand the symptoms of dry skin:
- Flakiness: Dry skin often appears flaky or peeling, particularly in areas where the skin is prone to drying out, such as the hands, elbows, and knees.
- Tightness: Dry skin tends to feel tight, especially after cleansing or exposure to cold weather. This sensation may be accompanied by discomfort or a pulling sensation.
- Itching: Dry skin can be itchy, leading to a persistent urge to scratch. It can further irritate the skin and may cause redness or inflammation.
- Redness: Areas of dry skin may become red or inflamed. This is often a result of the compromised skin barrier, allowing irritants to penetrate more easily.
- Rough Texture: The skin may feel rough, lacking the smoothness associated with well-moisturized and healthy skin.
- Cracks or Fissures: In severe cases, dry skin can develop cracks or fissures, particularly in areas with repeated motion, such as the knuckles, fingertips, or heels.
- Ashiness: The skin may be ashy or whitish, especially in individuals with darker skin tones. It is due to the light-reflecting properties of dry skin.
- Chapped Lips: The delicate skin on the lips is particularly prone to dryness, leading to chapped or cracked lips.
- Increased Wrinkles And Fine Lines: Insufficient moisture can emphasize the presence of wrinkles and fine lines, giving the skin an aged appearance.
It is important to recognize these symptoms early on to take appropriate steps to prevent further damage and relieve your dry winter skin.
Home Remedies For Dry Skin In Winter
Fortunately, several home remedies can help soothe and moisturize your skin during this season.
1. Coconut oil: You can apply coconut oil daily on your face, hands, body, or other dry areas. Coconut oil is a source of vitamin E, fatty acids, and antioxidants to help your skin retain moisture and heal faster.
2. Oatmeal Bath: Oatmeal can help your skin restore its natural barrier and reduce inflammation. You can take an oatmeal bath by adding a cup of plain oatmeal to warm water and soaking it for 15 to 20 minutes.
Also, try making an oatmeal mask by mixing oatmeal with honey, yogurt, or milk and applying it to your face for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Apply Honey: Honey is a natural moisturizer that can attract moisture from the air and seal it into your skin. You can apply honey directly to your dry skin or mix it with other ingredients like olive oil, aloe vera, or milk.
4. Aloe vera Gel: Appy aloe vera gel as a mask or lotion to your skin after washing or bathing for soothing effects. Aloe vera can also help your skin fight bacteria, fungi, and inflammation.
5. Olive oil: Massage and cleanse your skin with olive oil to help your skin repair, regenerate, and prevent signs of aging.
6. Avocado Mask: Avocado is rich in natural oils and vitamins that hydrate and rejuvenate the skin. To make an avocado mask, simply mash a ripe avocado and apply it on your face or skin.
7. Consume Hydrating Foods: Include hydrating winter-season fruits and vegetables in your diet. Cucumbers, watermelons, and oranges are examples of hydrating foods.
8. Olive Oil: You can apply a thin layer of olive oil to dry skin, especially on elbows and knees, for extra moisture. Olive oil softens our skin because it is rich in antioxidants and healthy fats.
9. Use A Humidifier: Indoor heating during winter can reduce humidity levels, contributing to dry skin. Using a humidifier at home can infuse moisture into the air, protecting our skin against dryness.
As per Harvard Health Publishing, maintaining a winter humidifier setting at 60 percent can help restore moisture to the outer layer of your skin.
So, these simple yet effective home remedies can go a long way toward keeping your skin nourished and supple during the harsh winter months. Give them a try and say goodbye to dry winter skin!
As winter approaches, getting ready for the potential challenges that dry skin can bring is essential. Adopting a proper skin care routine for dry skin in winter that includes gentle cleansing, moisturizing, and protecting your skin from the elements is essential.
Implementing a well-balanced diet plan for glowing skin, incorporating fruits, vegetables, and antioxidant-rich foods, can enhance your skin’s radiance. You can also connect with our Fitelo experts for more guidance on this.
So, embrace the beauty of winter without worrying about parched or flaky skin by implementing these remedies into your daily routine. With proper care and attention throughout the chilly months ahead, you will have healthy-looking, radiant skin all season long!
Shourya Lost 7 Kgs In 45 Days Achieving Normal Diabetes Level!
Shourya, an Amazon professional from Varanasi, was worried about her higher BMI and pre-diabetic condition, and she sought help from Fitelo’s dietitian. With our customized diet plan, in just 45 days, she lost an impressive 7 kgs and shed inches off her waistline. Read her success story here:
Anti-Pimple Tea Recipe For Glowing Skin – Fitelo
Check out the video of this anti-pimple tea recipe curated for radiant skin by Fitelo. Packed with skin-healing ingredients, this concoction promotes a clear complexion and contributes to a healthy, glowing appearance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why In Winter Do Our Skin Get Dry?
In winter, cold air has lower humidity, leading to increased evaporation of skin moisture. Indoor heating further reduces humidity, contributing to dry skin by stripping away natural oils.
How To Avoid Dry Skin In Winter?
To avoid winter dry skin, moisturize regularly, stay well-hydrated, limit hot showers, use a humidifier indoors, and dress warmly to protect your skin from harsh winter conditions.
Contact Us Today
Get in touch with our expert team at Fitelo to kick-start your transformative journey! Let us guide you toward your weight loss goals and help you cultivate sustainable and healthy eating habits. So, contact us today and take the first step towards a healthier, happier you with Fitelo!
This blog was written to help you make healthy and better food choices. So, be aware and take care. The vital thing to consider is your health before starting a restrictive diet. Therefore, before starting, always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long, happy life.