Make the most of your mushrooms with this hearty mushroom…
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 35,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Kerala idiyappam recipe with rice flour, also known as nool puttu. Idiyappam is sevai or seviyan made with rice flour dough. This recipe is South Indian and includes steamed rice flour as a main ingredient. Mainly, this recipe is for breakfast.
It is called by many different names such as rice noodles (fresh), string hoppers, in Tamil, Idiyappam (இடியப்பம்) & nool puttu (நூல் புட்டு) as well as nool appam. Also in Malaysia, it is well known as Putu Mayam and serves with Gula Melaka (मलक्का चीनी- which is a cousin to jaggery).
About Idiyappam Recipe
In idiyappam, the main ingredient is rice flour, but there can also be variations with other flours and millet.
Traditionally, this recipe is prepared with fresh rice flour. But nowadays, the easiest and most common way is to buy idiyappam flour commercially. In ancient times, ladies used to prepare idiyappam flour specifically and store it for later use.
Preparing idiyappam the traditional way is a bit tedious but gives the softest results. To cook the recipe, ladies, process the rice flour in several steps where rice is soaked, grind to flour, sieved, steamed, and again sieved, dried, and stored.
The process of steaming gives it extra softness, but let’s learn how to make idiyappam at home by simply following the below steps:
How To Prepare Idiyappam Recipe Step-by-Step
- First, to begin, take a small pan and add a cup of flour to the pan. Roast the flour on a low flame until it is very hot to the touch or changes colour to a light yellow. Remove and set aside.
- Secondly, take a pressure cooker and add 1–1.5 cups of water, a teaspoon of olive oil, and salt to taste. Cook for at least 1-2 whistles after that remove the pressure manually.
- Add the roasted rice flour right away and thoroughly combine.
- Now, cover the cooker, put the whistle on, and let it rest for 10-15 minutes (remember the stove is off). Here, we are just resting the dough for 15 minutes.
- Then, after 10-15 minutes, open the cooker and mix the dough.
- Further, prepare small balls and load them in the idiyappam press (a tool used to prepare seviyan).
- Following this, press the idiyappam strings onto idli plates.
- Once the dough is pressed, transfer the plates to a steamer and steam the idiyappam for 10-15 minutes.
- After a few minutes of steaming, rest the idli plates for 5–7 minutes before removing the idiyappam and garnishing it with grated coconut.
- Finally, serve it with sweet coconut milk and enjoy your meal.
Nutritional Value Of Idiyappam Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Variations of Idiyappam Recipe
In this idiyappam recipe, many different variations can take place, such as:
- Traditionally, this recipe is prepared with rice flour, but now wheat flour is also used.
- Idiyappam can also be prepared in a pressure cooker or in an idli steamer. But traditionally, the flour is pressed into banana leaves.
- In Sri Lanka, it is prepared without adding desi ghee or olive oil to it.
- Also, the idiyappam recipe is garnished with powdered sugar or stevia. And if you allow it to cool down, then you can break it down and fry it with onions, and green chilies. In this way, this recipe is served warm or cold with lemon juice, coriander, and grated coconut.
Health Advantages Of Rice In Idiyappam Recipe
Here, let’s have a look at a few health benefits of rice in this recipe:
- Good Energy Source
Rice is also one of the main energy sources for most humans in Asia. Also, the presence of carbohydrates is perfect for the human body to act as fuel to do their activity.
It is a myth many people say that consuming white rice will make you fat. Of course, rice is carbohydrate-rich food, but it’s not the main reason for you to gain weight. Any food could make you gain more weight if you ate it for a huge amount.
3. Good Diet Food
Red rice is the kind of rice that we could use as a diet food because red rice had 10-14% of our daily need for fiber. As it has fewer calories and less fat than white rice. It is a perfect option when we are on diet. Also, rice has more magnesium, zinc, and vitamin B than white rice, and recommended by many dietitians to use especially in male weight loss diet plans.
White Rice VS Brown Rice
White rice is more common and popular among people. This is because white rice is a refined grain while brown rice is a whole grain. Do most fitness gurus suggest that Brown rice is the way to go but is it true? What is the reality? So, to know the truth about white rice vs brown rice refer to the below video by Mac Singh.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is Idiyappam Recipe Healthy?
Ans: Yes, the idiyappam recipe is a healthy and rich cuisine of the Malabar region, which has several nutritional values, for example, proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
Q: Did You Use Plain Rice Flour For Idiyappam?
Ans: Yes, use plain flour and roast it at medium heat until it is hot to the touch. You can even use other flours, such as ragi or wheat.
Q: What Is Ragi Idiyappam Recipe?
Ans: The ragi idiyappam recipe is a healthy and quick breakfast that gets ready in a few minutes. This recipe has many different health advantages.
Q: What Is Idiyappam in Tamil?
Ans: The Idiyappam in Tamil: இடியாப்பம் is a rice noodle recipe originated from South India and Sri Lanka. It consists of rice flour (or other flour as well) pressed into noodle form and then steamed.
Q: What Is Idli And Idiyappam?
Ans: Like Idli, idiyappam is another harmless and light dish. Idiyappam also called as string hoppers is a traditional Tamil, Kerala and Sri Lankan food consisting of rice flour pressed into noodle form and then steamed.
Q: What Are The Pros And Cons Of The Idiyappam Press?
Ans: This press has no interchangeable plates. Never let it soak in water. Dry immediately with a kitchen towel and then sun dry it. Apply oil and keep it shiny. Pros: Friendly to hands. Gives best looking thin idiyappam Cons: You can only use it for making idiyappam, sev.
Recipes by Fitelo, are, however, the best and easy to make for people on their weight loss journey. They are tasty, filling, healthy, and make weight loss interesting. So, here is the salad recipes to lose weight that you can try at home and enjoy.
Contact Us Today
So, your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
All the recipes from Fitelo kitchen are devised to suit specific needs. And what may suit one condition may not be applicable to the other. However, always consult your nutritionist or dietitian before adding any of these recipes to your diet. Read More.