White sauce pasta is every household favorite. The creamy, rich,…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Generally, green leafy vegetables are preferred for diets because they offer several benefits, and people often wonder about this leafy vegetable, asking, is cabbage good for weight loss?
Cabbage has a long history of cultivation and has been grown for over 4000 years. It was a staple to ancient Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans. However, today India is the second largest producer of cabbage after China.
It belongs to the family of Brassica which also includes broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. It is widely cultivated and consumed worldwide. Cabbage comes in varieties such as green cabbage (the most common one), red cabbage, savoy cabbage, and napa cabbage (Chinese cabbage).
In this blog, we will understand the correlation of cabbage with weight loss by exploring its health benefits, and nutritional value.
How Cabbage Can Help You Lose Weight?
Cabbage and weight loss, what do you think how does it work? The answer lies in the valuable health benefits of cabbage for weight loss, which stand out in several ways. Following are the 8 reasons why cabbage is good for weight loss and a Weight Watcher’s best friend:
- Low In Calories: Cabbage is incredibly low in calories, making it an ideal choice for those looking to shed pounds. One cup of shredded cabbage contains only about 25 calories (per 100 gm), allowing you to fill up on a generous portion without consuming excessive calories.
- High In Fiber: Cabbage is rich in dietary fiber, which aids in weight loss. Fiber adds bulk to your meals, promoting a feeling of fullness and reducing the temptation to overeat. It also helps regulate digestion and prevents constipation.
- Good For Hydration: With its high water content, cabbage is hydrating and can contribute to weight loss. Foods with high water content tend to be filling and can help control appetite.
Also, research from NIH states that hydration is good for weight loss. So, include more water rich foods like cabbage in your diet.
- Low In Fat: Cabbage is naturally low in fat, making it a great choice for those aiming to reduce fat consumption and promote weight loss.
- Loaded With Nutrients: Cabbage is packed with essential vitamins and minerals while being low in fat and cholesterol. It is a good source of potassium, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin C, and vitamin K. These minerals and vitamins support overall health and happiness.
- Helps In Detoxification: Cabbage contains sulfur compounds that enhance the body’s natural detox processes by supporting liver function and aiding in detoxification. A healthy liver is crucial for efficient metabolism and weight management.
- Have Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Anti-inflammatory substances found in cabbage may aid in reducing inflammation in the body. Obesity and overweight problems have been linked to inflammation.
Nutritional Value Of Cabbage
When it comes to weight loss, cabbage emerges as a true champion due to its exceptional nutritional profile and unique properties.
|Nutrient||Value Per 100 Gm|
|Vitamin K||76% Daily Value|
|Vitamin C||36% Daily Value|
Cabbage’s health benefits and nutritional value clearly answers the question- is cabbage good for weight loss? Now moving on to the ways you can include it in your diet.
7 Creative Ways To Add Cabbage To Your Daily Meals
Cabbage is a versatile and nutritious vegetable that can be incorporated into your daily meals in various creative ways. Here are seven ideas to help you enjoy cabbage more often:
- Cabbage Stir-Fry: Create a healthy and colorful stir-fry by combining thinly sliced cabbage with other vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, and snap peas. Add your choice of protein (tofu, chicken, shrimp, or beef) and stir-fry with your favorite sauce, such as soy sauce or teriyaki.
- Cabbage Slaw: Make a refreshing coleslaw by shredding cabbage and mixing it with grated carrots and a creamy coleslaw dressing. Serve it as a side dish at a barbecue or alongside sandwiches and burgers.
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls: Prepare a delicious stuffed cabbage roll recipe by blanching cabbage leaves, then filling them with a mixture of ground meat (beef or turkey), rice, and seasonings. Roll them up and cook them in tomato sauce for a hearty meal.
- Cabbage and Sausage Soup: Create a hearty cabbage and sausage soup by sautéing cabbage, onions, and garlic with your favorite sausage (such as Italian or smoked sausage). Add broth, tomatoes, and seasonings for a comforting soup.
- Cabbage Wraps: Use cabbage leaves as a low-carb alternative to tortillas or bread for making wraps. Fill the cabbage leaves with your choice of fillings, such as grilled chicken, hummus, and veggies, then roll them up and secure them with toothpicks.
- Cabbage Chips: Make a healthier alternative to potato chips by baking cabbage leaves in the oven. Toss the leaves with olive oil, salt, and your preferred seasonings, then bake until crispy.
- Cabbage and Noodle Stir-Fry: Combine cabbage with cooked noodles (such as udon or soba) in a stir-fry. Add some protein (like tofu or shrimp), your favorite stir-fry sauce, and a mix of vegetables for a tasty and filling dish.
Delicious Cabbage Recipes From Fitelo’s Kitchen
You don’t have to give up flavor or fun when you start a weight loss journey. With cabbage, you can savor delicious recipes that will also aid in your weight loss efforts.
1. Cabbage Soup:
The flavors of this trendy cabbage soup recipe aid weight loss, boost metabolism, and satisfy your taste buds. It is made with a combination of low-calorie ingredients, vibrant vegetables, and thus aromatic spices.
2. Fish Taco Bowls With Green Cabbage Slaw
This delicious healthy fish taco will provide you with the goodness of fish and aid with the benefits of cabbage too. Enjoy them during your evening snacks and curb your appetite.
3. Tomato Cabbage Soup
If you love the tanginess of tomatoes then add them to your cabbage soups and enjoy the richness of tomatoes along with cabbage to get fit with tasty foods.
Who Should Avoid Eating Cabbage?
Here are some scenarios where individuals should be cautious about consuming cabbage:
1. Thyroid Conditions
Firstly, cabbage belongs to the cruciferous vegetable family, which contains compounds called goitrogens. They can interfere with thyroid function and the absorption of iodine, particularly in individuals with an underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism.
So, people with thyroid conditions should moderate their cabbage consumption and ensure adequate iodine intake.
2. Gastrointestinal Sensitivities
Some individuals may have gastrointestinal sensitivities to cabbage, experiencing symptoms like bloating, gas, or also stomach discomfort.
If you have a sensitive digestive system or conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), it may be best to limit or avoid cabbage to prevent discomfort.
3. Blood-Thinning Medications
In fact, cabbage is a good source of vitamin K, which plays a role in blood clotting. If you are taking blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin, it is important to maintain a consistent vitamin K intake.
Consult with your healthcare provider to determine if you need to adjust your cabbage consumption or monitor your medication dosage accordingly.
In rare cases, individuals may have allergies to cabbage or other cruciferous vegetables. Allergic reactions can also range from mild symptoms like itching or hives to severe reactions like difficulty breathing or anaphylaxis.
Moreover, if you suspect an allergy to cabbage, it is crucial to seek medical advice and avoid cabbage to prevent allergic reactions.
5. Interactions With Medications
Some compounds in cabbage may interact with certain medications, such as anticoagulants, thyroid medications, or certain antibiotics.
If you are taking any medications, it is recommended to consult with your healthcare provider to understand potential interactions before consuming cabbage.
Hidden Sugar: Top 8 Foods To Avoid For Weight Loss By Dietitian Mac
Discover the hidden sugar culprits in your diet with Dietitian Mac Singh’s expert advice. Learn about the top 8 foods to avoid for weight loss and gain valuable tips to make healthier choices. Watch the video for insightful weight loss tips and strategies.
Ayesha’s 12 Kg Weight Loss: Incredible Results In 90 Days
Discover Ayesha’s incredible weight loss journey as she sheds 12 kg in just 90 days with Fitelo’s personalized diet plan custom made for her. Further, read about her inspiring story, challenges faced, and effective strategies employed for successful weight loss. Also, visit the below link for more details on her transformation.
A Word From Fitelo
In a nutshell, is cabbage good for weight loss? Yes, it is, and it truly lives up to its reputation as a leafy miracle for weight loss.
Its low calorie content, high fiber and water content, with beneficial nutrients make it an excellent addition to a weight loss diet.
In fact, embrace the power of cabbage and enjoy its slimming effects on your journey to a healthier weight.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Eat Cabbage For Weight Loss?
To incorporate cabbage into your weight loss journey, try adding it to salads, stir-fries, or as a side dish. Steam or lightly sauté cabbage to retain its nutrients and flavor. Experiment with different recipes, such as cabbage soup or coleslaw, to make it more delicious.
Why Cabbage Is Good For Weight Loss?
In terms of weight loss, cabbage is a fantastic option because it is low in calories and high in fiber. It provides bulk to your meals, keeping you fuller for longer and reducing calorie intake.
Can I Eat Cabbage Everyday For Weight Loss?
Eating cabbage every day as part of a diverse meal plan can contribute to your weight loss goals. Also, be sure to include other vegetables, protein sources, and whole grains for a well-rounded diet.
What Is The Healthiest Way To Eat Cabbage?
Consuming it raw or only gently cooked is the healthiest way to eat cabbage. Raw cabbage in salads or coleslaw retains most of its nutrients. Avoid overcooking cabbage to maintain its crunch and maximize nutritional benefits.
Contact Us Today
We’re never leaving you hanging with doubts, queries, as well as confusing questions. We understand how all this information gets overwhelming as well as a little confusing on your way to a healthy lifestyle. Hence, you can always contact us at any time as our experts are here to guide you 24/7. Also, we will help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you to make healthy and better food choices. So, be aware and take care. The important thing to consider is your health before starting a restrictive diet. Always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy as well, and Enjoy a long happy life