Weight loss has always been linked wrongly with difficult diets and exotic cuisines. We are into believing that for weight loss, we need to leave our traditional foods. And also we are mislead to follow the era of fad diets to lose weight. But, the good news is- You do not have to make a switch from your regular diet. Sticking to the roots works best, even during weight loss. So, the dish we are specifically talking about is – Upma. Now the question is : Is Upma good for weight loss?
Our beloved upma is here to stay. This will also help you to lose weight. Not just this, we have more recipes of Upma but with a twist.
Upma is one of the healthiest breakfast options in India. Although it is originally a South-Indian recipe, it is now relished all over the country.
Uppuma, Uppittu, Uppumavu, Uppindi, Kharabath, Upeet, Rulanv- upma is known by different names in different regions of India. Thus, Upma not only stands out in the taste, but it is a COMPLETE MEAL for those struggling to lose weight.
The most common type of Upma is suji or ava upma. Also, the main upma ingredient- suji or semolina. It is a coarse flour that is formed after crushing durum wheat. So, it is much healthier than refined wheat or maida. Semolina can thus be used to make delicious suji upma for weight loss.
ROLE OF SUJI AS AN UPMA INGREDIENT
Suji/Rava or semolina is abundant in a lot of minerals, including:
Semolina has 1.23 mg of iron per 100 grams, as per the USDA. It will thus help keep iron deficiency at bay.
Magnesium aids the control of blood pressure, blood sugar. It also helps in the biosynthesis of protein.
Folate is necessary for the creation of DNA and RNA, as well as for amino acid metabolism.
Semolina is high in selenium, an antioxidant that protects DNA cells from oxidation. Thus, lowering the risk of several diseases.
Semolina contains protein, and including it in your diet promotes weight loss.
THE X-FACTOR OF SUJI UPMA
IT HAS ZERO CHOLESTEROL
Although it is rich in Carbs, suji contains zero cholesterol, making it ideal for frequent consumption.
VEGETABLES PROVIDE FIBER
Vegetables added to upma are an excellent source of fiber. So, they make up for the fiber content that is missing in suji. And, raw or semi-cooked onions provide Vitamin C in ample amounts. Also, the role of other upma ingredients –
- Provide selenium
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Vitamin C source
- Soluble fiber (pectin)
SUJI UPMA FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Total time – 30 Minutes
Cooking time – 15 Minutes
- 1 cup suji/rava (semolina)
- One (1) tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- Oil (mustard/olive)
- An onion
- A green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger
- Lemon juice
- Curry leaves
- A pinch of Haldi (turmeric)
- A pinch of Hing (asafoetida)
- Salt as per taste
- Take a pan, heat it. Dry roast the suji (rava) on a low to medium flame until it turns light brown.
- Then, transfer it to a bowl.
- Now chop onions, green chillies and ginger.
- Take a hot pan and add mustard and cumin to it.
- Put hing, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves as well.
- Then, sauté for about a minute.
- Now add the chopped onions and cook until transparent.
- Add water as required and salt as per taste.
- Then, mix well.
- When the water comes to a boil, add sooji and keep stirring.
- Also, remember there should not be any lumps.
- Cover and cook on a low flame until the water evaporates.
- Now remove the lid and stir the upma once again.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Also, you can replace half of the water used with curd or buttermilk. This is because Curd helps in better digestibility and is also a great probiotics source.
Is upma healthy in diabetes?
Rava upma goes fine with diabetes patients, but when consumed in controlled portion size. This is because semolina comes under foods that moderately increase the Glycemic Index after consumption.
I am gluten-intolerant. Can I have it?
The regular Rava upma is not for the ones that are suffering from Celiac Disease. This is because it has gluten present in it.
DOES THAT MEAN I CANNOT EAT UPMA?
Worry not. We have got you covered. It is not just suji that makes delicious upma. Apart from the suji upma for weight loss, we have several other recipes too. And these can be enjoyed by gluten-allergic persons as well as diabetics.
TYPES OF UPMA FOR WEIGHT LOSS
- If you have diabetes, you can replace a large portion of suji with ragi. Also, make ragi upma for weight loss. Ragi upma is also a great source of:
- Dietary fiber
- Calcium (Ragi contains 344 milligrams of calcium per 100 grams)
- It is a rich source of
- Protein (contains all the nine essential amino acids)
- Magnesium (About 30% of the RDA is provided by 85 grams)
- Oats upma is the preferred recipe for those wanting to lose weight. It ticks all the right spaces-
- Full of soluble fiber
- Low on fat
- Rich in Vitamin B
- Abundant in minerals (thiamine, manganese, phosphorous etc.)
- It Provides calcium and phosphorous
- Provides fiber
- Rich source of antioxidants
Upma is an excellent food choice for weight loss as it digests slowly and also gives you a feeling of fullness. It also has the goodness of vitamins and minerals, making it a nutrient-packed meal. Thus, you can have upma for weight loss in many different forms. That means tossing from the choice of grain to the variety of vegetables, as per your liking or requirement. And from Rava upma to oats upma, from people having diabetes to gluten intolerance, upma is for everyone to relish.
Upma is generally treated as a breakfast meal, but due to its filling nature, can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Check out another recipe of upma made up of millets.
- Post-Pregnancy Weight Loss | Tips & Diet plan to lose weight
- Papaya fruit- Health Benefits, Nutritional Value, & Risks
- Honey For Weight Loss? True or False?