Make the most of your mushrooms with this hearty mushroom…
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
A popular Gujarati ‘Khaman Dhokla recipe’ is a dish that can be enjoyed at any time. Traditionally, this recipe is made with besan or chickpea flour. Gujarat has a long stretch of beautiful coastline and an endless supply of shellfish. But strict Jainism followers and orthodox Hinduism in the state encourage widespread vegetarianism. On the other hand, the cuisine of this state is not heavily spiced but slightly sweeter than the neighboring states.
Gujarati cuisine is distinctively vegetarian, with about 70% of its population shunning meat. The remaining 30% of the state’s population consists of Bohra Muslims and Parsis. Bohra Muslims are the followers of Abdullah, who were Hindus but adopted the Muslim religion. Whereas Parsi cuisine on the other hand is a blend of western influences.
Dhokla is a tangy steamed cake usually made with fermented rice and lentil batter. The color of dhokla can range from light yellow to cream. There are various types of dhokla: quinoa dhokla, sooji dhokla, Khaman dhokla, khatta dhokla, instant dhokla, mixed dal dhokla, etc. However, khaman is the most popular Indian snack recipe.
About Khaman Dhokla
Khaman dhokla is a vegetarian, steamed, salty snack with a tangy flavor. It is prepared with a batter of besan. So, the texture of khaman dhokla is very soft, fluffy, and mouth-melting.
How To Prepare Khaman Dhokla Recipe
1: Prepare The Dhokla Batter And Let It Ferment
- To begin with, take a large mixing bowl and add gram flour, salt, stevia drops (for sweetness), water, lemon juice, and curd to it. And mix all these ingredients well.
- Also, allow the batter to ferment for 1-2 hours (if you are making it in the winter, this might take longer).
- In the meantime, pour boiled water into a steamer and grease the utensil with desi ghee.
2: Cook The Fermented Batter for At least 10-15 Minutes In The Idli/Dhokla Cooker
- Now, pour the dhokla batter into the greased utensil and cook on a low flame in a steamer for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Then, check with a knife or toothpick after 15 minutes by inserting it inside the dhokla.
- If the knife or toothpicks come out clean, remove them from the stove. Allow the dish to cool, and then cut it into squares or any shape of your choice.
3: Prepare The Tempering
- After it cools, cut it into squares and keep it in a serving bowl/plate.
- Now, heat the remaining desi ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and green chili. Also, adding hari mirchi or green chili benefits in weight loss apart from adding spiciness.
- When the mustard seeds begin to crackle, remove them and pour them over the dhokla. Garnish with coriander leaves and coconut before serving.
- If the batter becomes frothy, stop whisking it more. It should have a thick consistency.
- Make sure to pre-heat your steamer for at least 5–7 minutes before placing the plates filled with batter. Otherwise, it will take more time to cook, and the dhokla won’t be spongy.
Nutritional Value of Dhokla
Calorie Details of Dhokla: Per serving (1 Piece)
|Food||Calories (1 pc)||Fat gm||Fiber gm||Carbs gm||Protein gm|
Health Benefits of Eating Khaman Dhokla
There are so many good things to know about Dhokla. Here are a few of the most essential health benefits of the Khaman Dhokla recipe:
- Weight Loss: Khaman Dhokla contains besan which is a great source of protein. And since dhokla is steamed and not fried, considered the perfect weight loss snack to include.
- Better Digestion: The presence of bacteria in dhokla break down all the fats and carbohydrates, which improves bowel movements and boost the energy level in the human body.
- Maintain Blood Pressure Level: The presence of magnesium content in the besan helps maintain vascular health and regulate good blood pressure.
- Diabetic Friendly: Dhokla is rich in iron and eliminates iron deficiency. It also controls sugar levels, due the presence of besan.
- Boost Immunity: Dhokla is prepared with high levels of probiotic, which stimulates the immune system and prevents viral infections.
Now that you know about the health advantages of consuming Khaman dhokla, make a plate for yourself and relish this simple, tangy, and energetic snack.
How To Burn The Calories After Consuming A Plate of Dhokla?
Since there are not many calories present in dhokla, you can easily burn them without any exercise but still you want to burn the calories you’ve consumed, here are some options:
- 15 Minutes of Rope Skipping
- 30 Minutes of Stair Climbing
- 30 Minutes of Swimming
Now that you know about the benefits of eating dhokla, make a plate for yourself and relish this simple, flavorful, and energetic snack. It is also appropriate for weight watchers and fitness enthusiasts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is Khaman Dhokla Recipe Good For Losing Weight?
Ans: Yes, khaman dhokla is good for weight loss. It is made by the fermentation of besan and provides good bacteria for your gut. Fermented foods, on the other hand, are easier to digest. So, that’s the reason why this recipe is good for weight loss.
Q: Is Khaman Dhokla Difficult To Digest?
Ans: No, khaman dhokla is easy to digest. If you are trying to lose weight, then dhokla is one dish you can continue to eat as much as you wish. Because the steaming process breaks down microorganisms into simple particles that are easy to digest. So, that’s why khaman dhokla is safe to include in a weight loss journey.
Q: What’s The Distinction Between Khaman And Dhokla?
Ans: Dhokla is a fermented batter of rice and lentils like urad and chana dal. while the khaman dhokla recipe is made only with gram flour (besan). Khaman and dhokla are both trendy vegetarian Gujarati snacks and can be consumed for weight loss.
Q: How Should Khaman Be Stored?
Ans: You can easily store the leftover khaman in a large, air-tight container in the refrigerator.
People buy all the expensive and fancy products these days to lose weight and stay in shape. What if we tell you, you don’t need all these products. There is a product which is natural, way cheaper and is easily available almost everywhere. Are you interested to finding out? Click here to know the answer.
Contact Us Today
Your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you make healthier and better food choices altogether. So, be aware and take care. The important thing to consider is your own health before starting a diet that is restrictive. Therefore, always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long happy life.