Everyone is aware of dry fruits’ benefits for health, however,…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Sitting together and eating mangoes one by one, those siblings battle for the mango kernel. Spending summer vacations at Nani’s house and climbing up mango trees, dangling from branches in an attempt to pluck mangoes. Hurling stones at the high-rise mangoes. Surely, we all have childhood memories of this wonderful fruit mango. This is not only lip-smacking but holds magic inside. This article is all about the mango benefits. Let’s have a look at 25 healthy reasons to eat mangoes.
Mango And Its Types
Mango is a fruit, actually the National Fruit of India, Mango is the most popular one among all the tropical fruits. Mangoes belong to the family of drupe or stone fruits due to a large “stone” inside it.
Scientific Name Of Mango – Mangifera Indica
Not only is the mango fruit healthy, but different parts of the whole tree provide various health benefits.
Mangoes are versatile fruits and the uses of mango are diverse. You can eat them fresh or make drinks in the form of smoothies, juice, or mango lassi. In Indian houses, mangoes are preserved in the form of dry or made pickles. Mango chutney is amazing when made of raw green mangoes. Mangoes are used in salads, jams, soups, and curries in South India.
Types Of Mangoes
India is a land of ‘mangoes.’ There are several types of mangoes that vary in taste, shape, and availability. So, apart from mango benefits, let’s search out its different types.
Alphonsos Hapoos – Ratnagiri, Maharashtra
- Ratnagiri and its coastal regions are one of the finest and exclusive hotspots for mangoes, widely famous for their Alphonso mangoes.
- These mangoes are available during mid-July. Therefore, internationally loved for their golden yellow appearance and delightful taste and also its aroma.
Kesar Mangoes – Gir Junagadh, Gujarat
- While the Girnar Hills of Junagadh is famous as a land of lions, it is also known for the juicy Kesar mangoes of Talala.
- However, this variety of mangoes is popularly known as the “queen of mangoes” in India. Kesar mangoes owe their name to their saffron (Kesari) appearance and their great taste.
- They are available from May to July and are a highly preferred variety for exotic Gujrati and other dishes.
Himsagar Mangoes – Murshidabad, West Bengal
- Murshidabad in West Bengal is very popular for a variety of tasty and juicy mangoes. Therefore, out of the popular mango varieties Nawab pasand and Begum pasand, Kishan Bhog is the most preferred mango hotspot of Bengal.
- These types of mangoes are usually available in the period between May to Early June.
Dashehari Mangoes – Lucknow And Malihad, UP
- Lucknow the land of Nawabs that is famous for its royal and Nawabi Dashehari mangoes, and all its adjoining towns is a very popular belt for their mango also.
- The major grower of these mangoes is Mahilabad which is located around 30km from Lucknow and these mangoes are mainly available from mid-May to late August.
- These mangoes are known for their green peels and very delicious taste.
Chaunsa Mangoes – UP
- This is a very famous type of mango found in Uttar Pradesh normally in the parts of Haredi.
- Moreover, these mangoes are beneficial for health and are used in home recipes.
- However, Chaunsa comes mostly in June and is available up to the month of August.
- It has 3 variants in itself: Honey, Sweet, and White Chaunsa.
Safeda Mangoes – Andhra Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh is one of the popular belts for mangoes. Banganpali or Safeda is available from March to July.
- Due to suitable climatic conditions, this state is also a premier supplier of high-quality mangoes around other Indian metro cities.
Bombay Green Mangoes – Punjab
- Well, Punjab is another region for a wide variety of mango lovers, which itself is famous for its Bombay Green mangoes.
- The Bombay Green Mangoes are a little smaller in size compared to the other varieties like Kesar & Alphonso. This variety is mainly available from May to July as per the summer season.
Bagnapalli – Andhra Pradesh
- This one is none other than the royal Bangnapalli mangoes from the land of Andhra Pradesh widely sold all over India at distant places.
- Moreover, most of the juices and pulp are made out of this variety of mango because of its taste and juiciness. They have very pale skin on the top but are juicy inside.
Mulgoba – Tamil Nadu
- This variety is called Hapoos of the South. These mangoes are available between the summer seasons of South India and are grown mostly in Tamil Nadu.
- These varieties are a huge part of Indian food widely used in Indian recipes, juices, pickles, daily meals, chutneys, ice cream, etc.
Totapuri Mangoes – Bangalore
- These are the mangoes with a little thick thread, very sweet and delicious to eat.
- Moreover, they are also used for pickles when they are raw. Their shape is oval and the pulp is a little different compared to other varieties as it’s not very juicy but has a thick texture.
- They are available between the season of May to July.
Langra Mangoes – Varanasi
- This mango is one of the most popular among all the others.
- Langra is quite famous because of its availability and best prices and has exotic aromas.
- They are available in major metro markets mainly in Varanasi, cultivated by farmers from around the area and shipped to other places in the state.
- The skin tone of these mangoes is yellowish and very pale which gives them a very fresh look and identity.
Badami Mangoes – Karnataka
- Badami mangoes are very famous in Karnataka and are also known as Hapus of Karnataka.
- Moreover, they are very delicious and the sweetest. It is quite sugary in taste and is available between the months of May to July.
Mango Benefits And Side Effects
Everything holds its benefits and side effects too. So, the same is true with the mango. Despite this, mango is sweet, tasty, and tangy. It is loaded with several benefits which can improve our overall health.
On the other side, overconsumption of mangoes can be harmful too. It can irritate your bowel as it is high in fiber. So, let’s discuss the mango benefits and side effects in detail.
What Are Mango Benefits?
While satisfying your dessert cravings mangoes also have several benefits. The following are mango benefits.
1. Mango Benefits In Weight Loss
Mango is good for weight loss, you can include mangoes in your weight loss diet chart but only in a balanced amount.
- Mangoes are rich in fiber. Therefore, they help promote weight loss.
- According to studies, foods that are low in energy density also help in weight reduction and mangoes are one of them.
- In fact, mango is the best option to replace with an unhealthy snack for weight loss.
- One cup (165 grams) of fresh mango contains fewer than 100 calories and has a very low-calorie density. Hence, that is good to shed extra kilos.
- Mangoes lie at 56 on the glycemic Index which is neither high nor low. This indicates you can have mangoes in restricted portion sizes.
2. Mango Benefits Are Best For The Eyes
Mango benefits the eyes too as it has several nutrients present in it.
- Mangoes have antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin. These are concentrated in the retina of the eye and act as a natural sunblock. So, it protects our eyes from harmful blue light.
- This King of Fruits is rich in Vitamin A, it does not let your eyes get dry and nighttime blindness.
3. Mango Benefits For Skin
This is one of the most surprising mango health benefits. Vitamins in mango are beneficial for the skin. Here are some of these:
- The vitamin C content of mango reduces UV ray damage. Thus, keeps away free radicals.
- Vitamin B6 present in mango minimizes the oiliness of our skin as it is water soluble.
- Potassium is responsible for moisturizing the skin by keeping the cells hydrated.
- Copper mitigates wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. Further, lightening it up and keeping it protected against free radicals.
- Vitamin A also known as retinol reduces the lines on the skin, fostering collagen production to lighten up the dark patches.
- Magnesium present in mangoes benefits people experiencing rosacea, acne, or oily skin. This is because of its anti-inflammatory and redness-reducing properties.
- Vitamin K in mango helps in the removal of spider veins and stretch marks on the skin.
- Vitamin E in mango keeps the skin hydrated. You can add other vitamin E-rich foods for better health.
4. Mango Benefits In Lowering The Risk Of Cancer
- Mango is high in polyphenols that have anticancer properties.
- However, polyphenols also protect against a harmful process called oxidative stress, which can cause many types of cancer.
- They further, destroy or stop the growth of various cancer cells, including leukemia and cancer of the colon, lung, prostate, and breast.
5. Mango Benefits In Boosting Immunity
The mango benefits are several and boosting immunity is one of them.
- 165 grams of mango provides 10% of your daily vitamin A. Which is good for boosting our immunity.
- Apart from this, 165 grams of mango provides nearly 75% of daily Vitamin C. And this further helps our body produce more disease-fighting white blood cells.
- Mango also contains other nutrients like copper, folate, vitamin E, and several B vitamins.
6. Mango Benefits In Preventing Diabetes
Yes, mango is good for diabetes it helps prevent diabetes.
- Mango being rich in Vitamin C and carotenoids, helps in the prevention of diabetes.
- Moreover, it is recommended to have 1 or 2 slices of mango as a whole fruit instead of in the form of shakes or juices. The fibers of the fruit pulp, therefore, balance the sugar levels and delay sugar release in the blood.
Side Effects Of Mango
Along with benefits, mango also has some side effects that are important to know.
- However, mangoes contain a high amount of fiber, which can cause diarrhea, when excessively consumed. Therefore, it is advisable to eat this fruit in a balanced proportion.
- In some cases, people may be allergic to mangoes and may complain of a runny nose, difficulty breathing, stomach pain, and sneezing. Therefore, it is advisable to get tested for allergies and stop consuming the mangoes for some time.
- Moreover, this fruit can often cause indigestion, especially raw mangoes. Therefore, avoid eating raw mangoes in large quantities. Similarly, ripe mangoes contain a chemical called carbide that also may not be safe for consumption.
- Consuming Mango in lunch and dinner along with the main meal is not advised as it might gain weight and a spike in post-meal glucose levels.
Mango Nutritional Value
The nutrients and vitamins in mango make it a perfect summer fruit. Vitamins and water content in mango benefits in various ways.
|Vitamin A||54 mg|
|Vitamin C||36.4 mg|
Recipes For Mangoes For Weight Loss
Despite being rich in calories, mango benefits those who wants to get in shape. If you use mangoes in your diet in a certain and proportionate quantity it is surely a good source for weight loss.
1. Mango-Banana Nice Cream
2. Mango-Beetroot Smoothie Recipe
3. Mango Salad Recipe
Mango Benefits In Nutshell
Nowadays, we have ample dessert options be it cakes, pastries, doughnuts, etc. And we ignore nature’s best foods thinking that they can make us fat. Even if you want to make a dessert out of mango, you should limit the quantity even further. You can also try making mango mojito, a healthy drink with amazing flavors. Mango is a healthy fruit and we can have it without worrying about weight loss, we just have to be a little cautious.
So, on the basis of your searches for mango health benefits, vitamins in mango, benefits of eating mango, mango nutritional benefits, mango for weight loss, mango benefits and side effects, and mango benefits for skin, we have structured this article.
Let’s play a game now. What’s your favorite addition to your food? That one thing with which you are ready to eat your any daal and sabzi. What I heard is that it sounds like Achaar. Obviously, it’s Achaar yaar. What if we tell you pickles can help you get in shape? Yes, it can. Click here to find out how.
Fitelo Transforming Lives
With the help of Fitelo’s experts, many lives changed, one such story is of Shivani. She is a homemaker and mother. She lost 7.4 kg in just 30 days! It’s amazing right? Read her complete transformation story to know how she achieved her goals in such a short time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Right Time To Eat Mango For Its Benefits?
Well, the summers are here and so are the mangoes. However, the right time to eat mango as a snack is between 11 am and 4 pm independently as fruit.
Can I Eat Mango At Night?
Consuming mangoes after meals increases the overall calorie intake. Therefore, you should avoid having mangoes at night.
How Many Mangoes Can You Eat In A Day?
Mangoes are high in sugar. Therefore, too much consumption of mangoes can be harmful, especially, for diabetic people. So, it’s best to limit mango to about 2 cups (330 grams) per day.
Can Raw Mango Benefits In Improving Health?
Raw mangoes are rich in vitamin C, calcium, and magnesium which are useful for releasing toxins from the body. Moreover, they are also high in niacin, which helps boost cardiovascular health, Furthermore, healthy cholesterol levels lower the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and heart attacks.
But raw mangoes also can cause indigestion so, avoid eating raw mangoes in large quantities.
Do Mango Benefits In Reducing Belly Fat?
Yes, mangoes also help you reduce belly fat and improve your mood. Since they contain natural probiotics promoting a smart gut. Consuming mangoes, in fact, prevents you from gaining weight since the fruit contains high levels of pectin which helps lower cholesterol as well as detoxify bowels.
Can Mango Gain Weight?
No, having mangoes in appropriate quantity doesn’t make you fat. But yes, if you are having mangoes in the form of Aamras, Packed Milkshakes Juices, Ice Cream, Mango, Cream, and Mango pies, then it leads to weight gain cause they have added sugar and preservatives, which are not safe. In fact, the nutritionist also suggests eating the fruit and not drinking it to get maximum benefits.
Related Blogs That You Will Love Reading
- Black Grapes Benefits: Are They Really Good For Health And Diabetes?
- Durian Fruit Benefits | What Makes This Tropical Fruit Unique?
- Exploring The Immune-Boosting Power Of Lemon Myrtle Benefits
It is important to note that every individual’s dietary needs and preferences are unique. It’s essential to consult a registered dietitian before introducing something new to your meal plan based on specific macronutrient goals and nutritional needs. So, contact us today if you are looking for a customized diet plan. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you make healthier and better food choices. So be aware and take care. The most important thing to consider is your health before starting any diet. Always seek advice from a doctor or dietitian if you have any concerns before starting.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long, happy life.