White sauce pasta is every household favorite. The creamy, rich,…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 25,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Sitting together and eating mangoes one by one, those siblings battle for the mango kernel. Spending summer vacations at Nani’s house and climbing up mango trees, dangling from branches in an attempt to pluck mangoes. Hurling stones at the high rise mangoes. Surely, we all have childhood memories with this wonder fruit mango. This is not only lip smacking, but holds magic inside. This article is all about the mango benefits. Let’s have a look at 25 healthy reasons to eat mangoes.
What is Mango?
Mango is a fruit, actually National Fruit of India, Mango is most popular one among all the tropical fruits. Mangoes belong to the family of drupe or stone fruits due to a large “stone” inside it.
Scientific Name Of Mango – Mangifera Indica
Not only is the mango fruit healthy, but different parts of whole tree provide various health benefits.
Mango Benefits And Side Effects
Everything holds its benefits and side effects too. So, same is with the mango.
- Despite, mango being sweet, tasty and tangy. It is loaded with antioxidants which can fight free radicals to prevent cell damage.
- Moreover, mango is also rich in vitamins and minerals, that fulfil our dietary requirements and promotes better digestion, and strengthens bones.
- On the other side, overconsumption of mangoes can be harmful too. It can irritate your bowel as it is high in fiber.
So, let’s find out mango benefits and side effects. Here we go.
What Are The Mango Benefits?
While satisfying your dessert cravings mangoes also have several benefits. Following mango benefits are:
1. Mango Benefits: Promotes Weight Loss
Mango is good for weight loss, but only in balance amount.
- Mangoes are rich in fiber. Therefore, they helps and promotes weight loss.
- According to studies, foods that are low in energy density also help in weight reduction and mangoes are one of them.
- In fact, mango is the best option to replace with an unhealthy snack for weight loss.
- One cup (165 grams) of fresh mango contains fewer than 100 calories and has a very low-calorie density. Hence, that is good to shed extra kilos.
- Mangoes lie at 56 on Glycemic Index which is neither high nor low. This indicates you can have mangoes in restricted portion size.
2. Mango Benefits: Best For The Eyes
Mango benefits the eyes too as it has several nutrients present in it.
- Mangoes have antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin. These are concentrated in the retina of eye and act as a natural sunblock. So, it protects our eyes from harmful blue light.
- This King of Fruits is rich in Vitamin A, it does not let your eyes get dry and night time blindness.
3. Mango Benefits: Get Glowing Skin
This is one of the most surprising mango health benefits. Vitamins in mango are so beneficial for skin. Here are some of these:
- Vitamin C content of mango reduces UV ray damage. Thus, keeps away free radicals.
- Vitamin B6 present in mango minimizes the oiliness of our skin as it is water soluble.
- Potassium is responsible for moisturizing the skin by keeping the cells hydrated.
- Copper mitigates wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. Further, lightening it up and keeping it protected against free radicals.
- Vitamin A also known as retinol reduces the lines on skin, fostering collagen production to lighten up the dark patches.
- Magnesium present in mangoes benefits people experiencing rosacea, acne, or oily skin. This is because of its anti-inflammatory and redness-reducing properties.
- Vitamin K in mango helps in doing away with spider veins and stretch marks on the skin.
- Vitamin E in mango keeps the skin hydrated.
4. Mango Benefits: Lowers The Risk Of Cancer
- Mango is high in polyphenols that have anticancer properties.
- Polyphenols, however, also help protect against a harmful process called oxidative stress, which is linked to many types of cancer.
- They further, destroy or stop the growth of various cancer cells, including leukaemia and cancer of the colon, lung, prostate, and breast.
5. Mango Benefits: Boosts Immunity
The mango benefits are several and boosting immunity is one of them.
- A 165 grams of mango provides 10% of your daily vitamin A. Which is good for boosting our immunity.
- Apart from this, 165 grams of mango provides nearly 75% of daily Vitamin C. And this further helps our body produce more disease-fighting white blood cells.
- Mango also contains other nutrients like copper, folate, vitamin E and several B vitamins.
6. Mango Benefits: Helps Prevent Diabetes
Yes, it is true that it helps prevent diabetes.
- Mango being rich in Vitamin C and carotenoids, helps in the prevention of diabetes.
- Moreover, it is recommended to have 1 or 2 slices of mango as a whole fruit instead of in the form of shakes or juices. The fibers of the fruit pulp, therefore, balance the sugar levels and delay sugar release in the blood.
Mango Benefits: Nutritional Facts Of Mango (100g)
The nutrients and vitamins in mango make it a perfect summer fruit. Vitamins and water content in mango benefits in various ways.
- Vitamin A – 54 microgram
- Vitamin C – 36.4g
- Water – 83.5g
- Fat – 0.38g
- Calcium – 11mg
- Protein – 0.82g
- Fiber – 1.6g
- Potassium – 168mg
Types Of Mangoes
India is a land of ‘mangoes.’ there are several types of mangoes that vary in taste, shape and their availability. So, apart from mango benefits, let’s search out its different types.
Alphonsos Hapoos – Ratnagiri, Maharashtra
- Ratnagiri and its coastal regions are one of the finest and exclusive hotspots for mangoes, widely famous for their Alphonso mangoes.
- These mangoes are available during mid-july. Therefore, internationally loved for their golden yellow appearance and delightful taste and also its aroma.
Kesar Mangoes – Gir Junagadh, Gujarat
- While Girnar hills of Junagadh are famous as a land of lions, it is also known for the juicy Kesar mangoes of talala.
- However, this variety of mango is popularly known as the “queen of mangoes” in India. Kesar mangoes owe their name to their saffron (Kesari) appearance and their great taste.
- They are available from May to July and are a highly preferred variety for exotic Gujrati and other dishes.
Himsagar Mangoes – Murshidabad, West Bengal
- Murshidabad in West Bengal is very popular for a variety of tasty and juicy mangoes. Therefore, out of the popular mango varieties Nawab pasand and Begum pasand, Kishan Bhog are the most preferred mango hotspot of Bengal.
- These types of mangoes are usually available in the period between May to Early June.
Dashehari Mangoes – Lucknow And Malihad, UP
- Lucknow the land of Nawabs that is famous for its royal and Nawabi Dashehari mangoes, and all its adjoining towns is a very popular belt for their mango also.
- The major grower of these mangoes is Mahilabad which is located around 30km from Lucknow and these mangoes are mainly available from mid-May to late August.
- These mangoes are known for their green peels and very delicious taste.
Chaunsa Mangoes – UP
- This is a very famous type of mango found in Uttar Pradesh normally in the parts of Haredi.
- Moreover, these mangoes are beneficial for health and are used in home recipes.
- However, Chaunsa comes mostly in June and is available up to the month of August.
- It has 3 variants in itself: Honey, Sweet, and White Chaunsa.
Safeda Mangoes – Andhra Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh is one of the popular belts for mangoes. Banganpali or Safeda is available from March to July.
- Due to suitable climatic conditions, this state is also a premier supplier of high-quality mangoes around other Indian metro cities majorly.
Bombay Green Mangoes – Punjab
- Well, Punjab is another region for a wide variety of mango lovers, which itself is famous for its Bombay Green mangoes.
- The Bombay Green Mangoes are a little smaller in size compared to the other varieties like Kesar & Alphonso. This variety mainly available from May to July as per the summer season.
Bagnapalli – Andhra Pradesh
- This one is none other than the royal Bangnapalli mangoes from the land of Andhra Pradesh widely sold all over India at a distant place.
- Moreover, most of the juices and pulp are made out of this variety of mango because of its taste and juiciness. They have very pale skin on the top but are juicy inside.
Mulgoba – Tamil Nadu
- This variety is called Hapoos of South. These mangoes are available between the summer seasons of South India and grown mostly in Tamil Nadu.
- These varieties are a huge part of Indian food widely used in Indian recipes, juices, pickles, daily meals, chutneys, ice cream etc.
Totapuri Mangoes – Bangalore
- These are the mangoes with a little thick thread, very sweet and delicious to eat.
- Moreover, they are also used for pickles when they are raw. Their shape is oval and the pulp is a little different compared to other varieties as it’s not very juicy but has a thick texture.
- They are available between the season of May to July.
Langra Mangoes – Varanasi
- This mango is one of the most popular among all the others.
- Langra is quite famous because of its availability and best prices and have exotic aromas.
- They are available in major metro markets mainly in Varanasi, cultivated by farmers from around the area and shipped to other places in the state.
- The skin tone of these mangoes is yellowish and very pale which gives them a very fresh look and identity.
Badami Mangoes – Karnataka
- Badami mangoes are very famous in Karnataka and are called Hapus of Karnataka.
- Moreover, they are very delicious and the sweetest. It is quite sugary in taste and is available between the months of May to July.
Recipes For Mangoes For Weight Loss
Despite being rich in calories, mango benefits those who wants to get in shape. If you use mangoes in your diet in a certain and proportionate quantity it is surely a good source for weight loss.
1. Mango-Banana Nice Cream
2. Mango-Beetroot Smoothie Recipe
3. Mango Salad Recipe
Side Effects Of Mango
Along with benefits, mango also has some side effects that are important to know.
- However, mangoes contain a high amount of fiber, which can cause diarrhoea, when excessively consumed. Therefore, it is advisable to eat this fruit in a balanced proportion.
- In some cases, people may be allergic to mangoes and may complain of a runny nose, difficulty in breathing, stomach pain, and sneezing. Therefore, it is advisable to get tested for allergies and stop consuming the mangoes for some time.
- Moreover, this fruit can often cause indigestion, especially raw mangoes. Therefore, avoid eating raw mangoes in large quantities. Similarly, ripe mangoes contain a chemical called carbide that also may not be safe for consumption.
- Consuming Mango in lunch and dinner along with the main meal is not advised as it might gain weight and a spike in post-meal glucose levels.
What is the right time to eat mango?
Well, the summers are here and so are the mangoes. However, the right time to eat mango as a snack is between 11 am and 4 pm independently as fruit.
Can mango be eaten at night?
Consuming mangoes after meals increases the overall calorie intake. Therefore, you should avoid having mangoes at night.
How many mangoes can you eat in a day?
Mangoes are high in sugar. Therefore, too much consumption of mangoes can be harmful, especially, for diabetic people. So, it’s best to limit mango to about 2 cups (330 grams) per day.
Is it good to eat raw mangoes?
- Raw mangoes are rich in vitamin C, calcium, and magnesium which are useful for releasing toxins from the body. Moreover, they are also high in niacin, which helps boost cardiovascular health, further, healthy cholesterol levels lower the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and heart attacks.
- But raw mangoes also can cause indigestion. Therefore, avoid eating raw mangoes in large quantities.
Does mango helps reduce belly fat?
Yes, mangoes also help you reduce belly fat and improve your mood. Since they contain natural probiotics promoting ‘a smart gut. Consuming mangoes, in fact, prevent you from gaining weight since the fruit contains high levels of pectin which help lower cholesterol as well as detoxify bowels.
Can mango gain weight?
- No, having mangoes in appropriate quantity doesn’t make you fat.
- Yes, if you are having mangoes in the form of Aamras, Packed Milkshakes Juices, Ice Cream, Mango, Cream and Mango pies, then it leads to weight gain. Because all these forms have added sugar and preservatives, which are not safe. In fact, the nutritionist also suggests eating the fruit and not drinking it to get maximum benefits.
Let’s play a game now. What’s your favourite addition to your food. That one thing with which you are ready to eat your any Daal and Sabzi. What I heard, It sounds like Achaar. Obviously its Achaar yaar. What if we tell you Pickle can helps you to get in shape. Yes, it can. Let’s find out, how?
Nowadays, we have ample dessert options be it cakes, pastries, doughnuts, etc. And we ignore nature’s best foods thinking that they can make us fat. Even if you want to make a dessert out of mango, you should limit the quantity even further. Mango is a healthy fruit and we can have it without worrying about weight loss, we just have to be a little cautious.
So, on the basis of your searches for mango health benefits, vitamins in mango, benefits of eating mango, mango nutritional benefits, mango for weight loss, mango benefits and side effects, mango benefits for skin, we have structured this article.
Yummy Recipes From Our Kitchen
Inspiring Transformation Stories
- Read How Megha From Delhi Lost 10 kg With PCOS Weight Loss Specialist
- Shourya from Varanasi took our pre diabetic diet plan and lost 7 kgs!
- Get Toned Body Like Mahalakshmi With Our Best Diet Planner. JOIN FITELO
Our Blogs Ka Pitara
- Best Diet Plan For Kidney Stones
- Diet Plan For Heart Patients
- Best Nutritionist for Weight Loss in India
Contact Us Today
Your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, Contact us today if you are looking for a Diet Plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you in achieving your weight loss goals.
All recipes from FITELO’S kitchen are devised to suit specific needs. And what may suit one condition may not be applicable to the other. Hence always consult your nutritionist or dietitian before adding these recipes to your diet.