Idli also called rice cake, is arguably one of the…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Glow and grow this summer with the superfruit “musk melon.” Yes, melon alongwith giving you the sweet taste of satisfaction, has several health benefits and gives your body the nutrition that you might not be aware of. It is easily available in the summer and keeps you hydrated and satiated for a long time. There are several surprising facts about this fruit that you will get to know when you read this blog further. Let us go through it now.
What Is Musk Melon?
The super fruit that you must “musk” this season is the musk melon. Muskmelon is an incredibly refreshing snack of the summer. It has a mild sugary and watery taste that enhances as the fruit ripens. Muskmelon in India is also called kharbuja and belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. However, its scientific name is Cucumis melo var. Cantalupensis. Moreover, it is also referred to as ‘sweet melon,’ because of its strong musky smell. It is a yellow-colour fruit with tempting sweetness and a pleasant aroma. Muskmelon is said to have its origin most likely in a region from India to Africa and is a summer fruit and is best from April to August.
Musk Melon Benefits
Despite being tasty, there are many benefits of eating musk melon. Below are the advantages of musk melon that you should know.
1.Keeps The Body Hydrated
However, muskmelon is high in water content, which keeps your body hydrated in the hot summers. It also cools the body, protecting it against the heat. Consisting of several vitamins and essential minerals is one of the main musk melon benefits.
Muskmelon helps improve and strengthen the immune system, which makes it the body easy to fight diseases. Musk melon vitamins (vitamin A and vitamin C) boost immunity by stimulating the white blood cells in the body. While Vitamin A and phytochemicals help to keep your gut health that is directly associated with your immune system.
3.Good For Vision
While muskmelon is rich in vitamin A, it is beneficial for your eye health also. It helps improve your eyesight and prevent cataracts. Studies have proved that regular consumption of foods with high vitamin content reduces the risk of developing cataracts by 40%.
4.Good For Cardiovascular Health
Musk melons are rich in potassium which controls blood pressure, thus keeping your heart healthy. They are also rich in a compound called adenosine which is beneficial for the heart as it has blood-thinning properties. Moreover, it prevents blood clotting in the cardiovascular system.
5. Improves Gut Health
Muskmelon consists of high fibre and water content, which makes it an essential fruit for gut health. The fibre content in muskmelon helps in regulating proper bowel movements with a calming and cooling effect on the stomach.
6.Helps In Weight Loss
Muskmelon is low in fat and calories which makes it one of the best sources to lose weight. However, it takes a long time to leave your stomach and enter the digestive tract, thus making you feel full for a longer time.
7.Prevents Diabetic Nephropathy
Muskmelon extracts oxykine that prevents Diabetic nephropathy disease. It is, however, a dangerous complication of diabetes as in this the kidney cells get damaged. Musk melon has a low glycemic index (GI) which means that fructose and glucose present in melon is a simple sugar. Therefore, this fruit is safe for diabetic patients and those suffering from obesity.
8.Helps Combat Stress
Muskmelon is a stress buster fruit that helps relieve stress and keep your mind calm. It contains minerals such as potassium which is considered a stress-relieving food that helps you feel more focused and relaxed.
9.Musk Melon Benefits For Skin
However, musk melon contains Vitamin A which stimulates the production of sebum which further helps in keeping your hair healthy. Moreover, applying muskmelon pulp to your scalp boosts hair health resulting in long and lustrous hair.
10.Musk Melon Benefits For Skin
Muskmelon is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help keep your skin healthy and radiant. Moreover, it is also rich in collagen which is a protein and helps in keeping the skin tissues soft and tight thus, preventing them from withering. Also, you can make a paste out of the melon pulp, seeds and skin and apply it all over the body.
Side Effects Of Musk Melon
Despite having essential nutrients, fibres and vitamins that result in better health, it also has a few side effects that are too important to know. Let us go through them.
- Musk melon is a Guru or heavy in nature, so people with upset stomachs must avoid eating it, as it might cause gas.
- Also, as it is said excess of everything is bad, thus, excess consumption of muskmelon also causes stomach problems.
- Musk melon is Sita or cold in nature, therefore, people who have a cold should not at it.
Musk Melon Nutrition Facts
While, there are several carbs in musk melon, it also consists many rich nutrients that are necessary for healthy body functioning.
- Calories – 34
- Dietary fiber – 0.9 gram
- Fat – 0.19 gram
- Protein – 0.84 gram
- Carbohydrates – 8.6 grams
Can We Eat Musk Melon During Pregnancy?
Yes, muskmelon locally referred to as kharbuja is a very safe fruit to have during pregnancy if taken in moderation. While, the fruit is low in calorie count, and high in nutrients and fibre, it makes it a healthy snack for pregnant women. Moreover, they are rich in antioxidants and anticoagulants. However, sometimes, a strain of bacteria called Listeria bacteria is found on the outer peel of the fruit, which can be harmful to a pregnant woman. But the fruit itself is safe to consume if cleaned thoroughly.
Musk Melon Benefits During Pregnancy
Eating musk melon during pregnancy is very beneficial as it has plenty of essential vitamins and minerals that are good for the expecting mother and the baby. Following are the musk melon benefits during pregnancy.
However, Vitamin A in musk melon plays an integral role in the baby’s kidney, heart, lung, and eye development. Moreover, it is considered instrumental in the development of the fetus’s cognitive abilities, making sure there are no birth defects or disabilities.
2.Get Healthy Bones
As muskmelon contains calcium, it is, however, very beneficial for the baby as it aids a healthy bone and tooth structure.
Muskmelons aid in healthy haemoglobin production which improves iron levels among pregnant women and leads to a healthy count of red blood cells in the body with a fresh supply of oxygen for the baby.
4.Improve Kidney Function
Muskmelons are rich in phosphorus, that further supports nerve and kidney function, and repairs damaged tissues in the body. Moreover, it plays a vital role in bringing about active muscle contractions when a pregnant woman goes into labour.
Vitamin C in melon is helpful to combat common colds, coughs, and viral flu and enhances immunity. Moreover, drinking muskmelon juice replenishes the presence of Vitamin C in the body.
While muskmelon has high water content, it makes sure there is no loss of electrolytes or fluids from the body.
However, medical professionals suggest that pregnant women must consume about 2-4 servings of fruit, wherein one serving amounts to a medium piece of the entire fruit.
Weight Loss Recipes Of Musk Melon
While people prefer eating muskmelon raw, there are some other mouths watering muskmelon recipes that you should know that helps in weight loss, especially when consumed as the first meal of the day.
1. Musk Melon Mint Slush
- Muskmelon – 2 cups (cut into small pieces)
- Black salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Mint leaves
- First, make a smooth puree by blending pieces of muskmelon and mint with black salt into a blender.
- Now, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Then take a shallow container, and pour the puree into it.
- Freeze it for 3-4 hours then again take the blender and liquidize the mixture till it turns slushy.
- Finally, pour the slushy mixture into glasses, garnish it with mint leaves and serve chilled.
2. Green Salad With Musk Melon Dressing
- Lettuce leaves torn – 1 cup
- cucumber – 1 (cut in cubes)
- capsicum – 1 (cut into cubes)
- broccoli florets – 1 cup (blanched)
- Chopped muskmelon – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Mint leaves – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, combine finely chopped veggies in a bowl and add chopped musk melon to it.
- Then pour all the dressings mentioned above and mix them well and serve.
3. Musk Melon Banana Smoothie
- Muskmelon – 1 cup
- Banana – 1 (frozen)
- Curd – ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- First cut banana and musk melon into very small pieces, so that they are easy to blend.
- Then in a blender, add chopped banana and melon with curd and water. Blend them well. Then serve the smoothie chill.
Various Ways To Consume a Musk Melon
- Musk Melon Fruit Salad: Musk melon is sweet and you can directly consume it by cutting them into pieces. Also, you can add other fruits to make a delicious fruit salad.
- Musk Melon Juice: Musk melon juice is a hydrating drink in the summers. You just have to put pieces of melon in a juicer and drain the juice. Further, add some salt or rock salt for taste
- Musk Melon Seeds: The seeds of melon are rich in potassium and minerals. Therefore, you can directly eat them or use them as a scrub on your face to clear your skin.
- Musk Melon Pulp: Musk melon can be used for skin purposes. You can make a paste of its pulp and use it as a face pack. It will, therefore, keep your skin moisturized and nourished.
Can We Eat Musk Melon at Night?
Well, this is the most common question asked by melon lovers. However, yes, you can have it in the late evening as kharbuja benefits the body when you have it at night. The only thing you should take care of is to avoid muskmelon and any fruit with a high glycemic index just before bedtime as it can spike up your blood sugar level, keeping you awake.
Can Diabetics Eat Musk Melon/ Kharbuja?
Yes, this is a safe fruit for people with diabetes if taken in moderation. It does not cause any harmful risings in blood sugar levels as the carbohydrate content in muskmelon is a safe number for diabetics. Therefore, it can enrich the body with many health supplements that keep many unwanted ailments, diabetic symptoms, health discomforts, etc., away.
Is Muskmelon Good For Weight Loss?
Muskmelons are rich in potassium which helps maintain the overall body weight. Moreover, it has fewer calories and more nutrients, which include beta carotene, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, potassium, protein, vitamin A and vitamin C which helps in weight loss.
Who Should Not Eat Musk Melon?
Well, people who have a weak stomach should avoid taking muskmelon as it can cause gas. Also, eating Muskmelon while having a cough and cold is not recommended as it is cold.
Yummy Recipes From Our Kitchen
Inspiring Transformation Stories
- Here’s How Our Online Weight Loss Coach Helped Manik
- Need Some Help With Weight Loss? Join Now.
- Read Aarti’s journey of following our Pcod Diet Chart for Weight Loss
Blogs Ka Pitara
- Post-Pregnancy Weight Loss | Tips & Diet plan to lose weight
- Papaya fruit- Health Benefits, Nutritional Value, and Risks
- Do Potatoes make you fat? | Benefits of Potatoes
Want to know more about the benefits of having Musk Melon? Check out our dedicated post on this miracle summer weight loss fruit.
Contact Us Today
Your search for a weight loss consultant ends here. So, Contact us today if you are looking for a Diet Plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you in achieving your weight loss goals.
All recipes from FITELO’S kitchen are devised to suit specific needs. And what may suit one condition may not be applicable to the other. Hence always consult your nutritionist or dietitian before adding these recipes to your diet.