Make the most of your mushrooms with this hearty mushroom…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 35,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Obesity is an ever-growing health concern for many countries, but now it has reached India as well. Advancements in technology, the introduction of AI, etc. are all signs that humans are evolving day by day. But in all this hustle, we are compromising our health. The ease of accessing foods through different food ordering apps has played a huge role in changing our diet and lifestyle patterns. Do you know that for men’s obesity, India ranks 5th in the world and 3rd for obesity in women? Undoubtedly, we are all well aware of the risks and problems associated with being overweight or obese. As a result, there has been an increase in the volume of searches for an obesity diet plan.
Apart from knowing that being obese or overweight can affect the quality of life, it is also known to be a factor that causes several long-lasting conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease, etc. Thus, we must understand how we can tackle obesity through a healthy diet and make effective changes in our lifestyle.
What Is Obesity, What Causes It, And What Are Its Symptoms?
Obesity: When fat inside the human body piles up in an excess proportion, it leads to an unhealthy condition called obesity. Obesity is calculated with the help of a parameter called Body Mass Index (BMI). It is a measurement that is derived by dividing an individual’s weight by the square of their height.
So, if any individual’s BMI is between 25 – 30kg/sq.m, and over it, then the person is termed overweight or obese.
Causes Of Obesity
Obesity is typically caused by a diet high in unhealthy foods and a lack of physical activity. So, here are a few reasons that cause obesity.
- Genes and Environmental Factors: These two factors play a significant role in the development of obesity. Mutations in genes like FTO (fat mass and obesity-associated gene) control appetite and metabolism, leading to obesity.
- Hormonal Imbalance: A hormone named leptin is produced by fat cells. This hormone sends signals to the hypothalamus (the part of our brain that controls food intake) that we’re full and need to stop eating. But when leptin isn’t working as it should, your brain becomes resistant to the signals, and the human body doesn’t understand when to stop. So, these hormonal disturbances are also one of the causes of obesity.
- Junk Foods: Eating too much junk food is one of the leading causes of obesity. Consumption of heavy cheese loaded burgers, pasta, crispy fries, noodles, and sugar-added drinks can take a toll not just on your weight but also on your heart and glucose level.
- Side Effects of Medication: Obesity or being overweight could be a side effect of certain medications too. Some certain diabetes medications, antidepressants, etc. have been infamously linked with weight gain in the past.
Symptoms Of Obesity
So, some of the symptoms of obesity are:
- Back and joint pain
- Feeling isolated
- Feeling tired all the time
- Inability to perform any physical activity
- Low confidence and self-esteem
- Increased sweating
Effects Of Obesity
As we discussed above, obesity can lead to many health issues, ranging from mild to severe. So, the extra fat and weight can affect all parts of the body, including essential organs:
- Strokes And Heart Diseases: Obesity or being overweight puts people at higher risk for high blood pressure, which leads to heart strokes.
- Affect Digestive System: Obesity is linked to heartburn, liver problems, and gallstones. Also, it increases the risk of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD occurs when our stomach acid leaks into the esophagus.
- Gynecological or Sexual Issues: Wondering how obesity affects your fertility? Being overweight can cause irregular periods due to an imbalance of hormones whereas, men can experience erectile dysfunction. In this case, females can include foods for irregular period to improve their menstrual cycle.
- Breathing Problem: Excess fat stored around the neck makes the windpipe too small, which can cause difficulty breathing at night. This condition is called sleep apnea. In fact, people with sleep apnea stop breathing for brief periods of time.
- Skin Issues: When you are obese, your skin begins to develop rashes where the skin of your body fat folds. This condition is known as acanthosis nigricans. It is characterized by discoloration and thickening of the skin in the folds and creases of your body.
Type Of Obesity
Different types of obesity are classified below:
*Please Note: In the above table, abdominal or central obesity gives a classical apple-type appearance to the human body when excess fat is distributed in the abdomen. Whereas, peripheral obesity, also called female obesity, causes pear-type obesity when excess fat is distributed around the hips and thighs.
What Foods To Eat And Avoid On An Indian Obesity Diet Plan
The Indian weight loss diet plan offers the right foods for obesity control. Following a diet high in nutrients and low in processed foods can go a long way in helping you manage your weight. So, let’s look into the various foods that can be included in the Indian obesity diet plan.
Foods To Eat In an Obesity Diet Plan:
So, here listing a few foods to include in your obesity diet plan:
Fruits are a wonderful source of vitamins and dietary fiber. There are various studies that correlate higher fruit consumption with lower weight, most likely because fruits contain lots of fiber. Also, the presence of fiber in fiber rich food, helps you stay full. Furthermore, fruits have a false reputation that they do not help in losing weight because they contain sugar, but this sugar is natural and causes no harm to the human body.
2. Green Vegetables
India is home to a variety of green vegetables that are high in vitamins and antioxidants. Several studies have found that people who eat more leafy green vegetables over time lose weight. Vegetables like spinach, broccoli, etc. have lots of calcium and fiber that also help in fat burning.
3. Legumes And Beans
Legumes and beans are the best to include in vegan diet plan or plant-based diet plan. Also, a rich source of protein. They are highly nutritious, which makes them a perfect staple in any diet. As they contain lots of protein and fiber, they can help you feel full and reduce your food intake, which leads to long-term weight loss.
So, some popular examples of beans and legumes include:
- Black beans
- Kidney beans
4. Low-Fat Dairy
Dairy foods such as milk, cheese, eggs, curd, etc. contain rich amounts of protein and lots of essential vitamins like calcium. Low-fat curd or yogurt, freshly prepared at home, is a part of most Indian diets to enhance gut health. Also, you can include cottage cheese because it provides energy to the human body. One study examined the fact that those who consumed dairy products had lower belly fat, less inflammation, reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, etc. So, it is right to consume dairy products in moderate amounts.
5. Lean Protein
High protein diet in the human body is known to boost levels of the hormone peptide YY (a hormone that makes you feel full) and reduce levels of ghrelin (a hormone that makes you feel hungry). The effect of these hormones on your body is powerful.
Lean protein also helps the human body build muscles and strengthen them. These proteins include fish (salmon), chicken, etc. The reason for recommending these foods is that they are lower in saturated fat. Red meats like pork, beef and lamb are higher in saturated fat, which increases cholesterol levels and other health risks.
Foods To Avoid In an Obesity Diet Plan:
So, here sharing a list of foods to avoid in obesity diet plan:
- Fast food includes items such as burgers, pizza, and fries.
- Deep-fried foods include samosas, pakoras, and chips.
- Sweets such as mithai, gulab jamun, and others.
- Processed Food
- High-fat and high-carb foods
- Beverages include sweetened beverages, alcoholic beverages, and sodas.
Healthy Snack Options In Obesity Diet Plan
We all munch in the evening for snacks, correct? But frequently consuming fast food can cause obesity due to its high sugar and fat content. However, there are a few perfect alternatives for times like these. So, here is a list of healthy Indian snacks that can be included in your diet plan.
- Oats Omelette Recipe
This vegetarian oat omelette is very similar and tastes like an omelette. All this recipe requires are finely chopped onions, veggies, and tomatoes. Also, this recipe is diabetic-friendly.
- Brown Bread Sandwich
If you’re trying to lose weight and are on a strict diet but want to satisfy your cravings, then a brown bread sandwich is the perfect recipe to enjoy.
- Rava Uttapam
Rava uttapam is a great breakfast, brunch, or snack that you can enjoy guilt-free. This recipe is a delicious breakfast for South Indians made with Rava (semolina) and served with chutney or sambar.
- Corn Cutlet
Corn cutlet is a popular Indian snack. This recipe is a perfect snack for your evening. These are tangy and mouth-watering.
Sample Diet Plan For Obese People
Here we are sharing a basic guideline in terms of where to start planning your diet. Thus, you can use this sample to see what works and what doesn’t for you.
|Breakfast||Unsweetened milk/ tea/ coffee or aloe vera juice + toast or eggs/porridge/ oatmeal/ beetroot oats chilla /|
|Lunch||salad + whole wheat roti + vegetables + brown rice + dal|
|Evening||Green tea/ fox nuts/ fruits/ nuts|
|Dinner||whole wheat roti / soup + salad / rice + dal|
Note: If you are looking for a detailed healthy weight loss diet plan, please contact us for our expert diet plans and nutritionists/dietitians for consultation.
Pro Tips From Fitelo Dietitians On Obesity Diet Plan
It is difficult to create a food chart and diet plan for obesity on our own. A dietitian can be one of your most powerful allies when it comes to weight loss or weight management. A dietitian will conduct a full analysis of individual medical records, understand your body’s calorie requirement, and prepare a diet plan accordingly.
Dietitians frequently recommend the following tips, which are listed below:
- Proper Fiber Intake: Fibers will help you to digest food properly and create a feeling of fullness.
- Intermittent Fasting: In this, short-term fasting is involved. This helps in proper digestion of food.
- Maintaining Good Gut Bacteria: Include probiotic and prebiotic foods in your diet plan so that they can help you grow gut bacteria.
Diet Vs Exercise For Weight Loss
As you know, your calorie intake must be lower than the calories you burn to lose weight. What helps in your weight loss journey? Diet or exercise? So, let’s watch the video if you need clarity!
Word From Fitelo Dietitians For Obesity Diet Plan
Start including healthy snacks, a balanced diet, and nutrient-dense food in your obesity diet plan. And replace all processed and high-carb foods with healthy alternatives. Thus, this will aid you to maintain a healthy lifestyle as far as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What Are the 5 Obesity-Reducing Strategies?
Ans: So, the 5 ways to reduce obesity, along with having a solid overweight diet plan, are:
- Choosing healthier food options
- Limiting unhealthy foods
- Increasing physical activity
- Controlling any health issues
- Cutting down on stress.
Q: Who Suffers From Obesity?
Ans: People with a lack of physical activity suffer the most from obesity. Also, unhealthy eating habits lead to obesity.
Q: Is Obesity A Disease?
Ans: Yes, obesity is a complex disease caused by an abnormally large amount of body fat. So, it is a medical issue that can increase more health problems.
Q: In Obesity, Is Dieting A Good Way To Lose Weight?
Ans: Yes, but a diet combined with exercise is an effective way to lose weight. Even you can even start your exercise at your home itself. So, here sharing a few weight loss tips at home with you.
Pizza is one of the most common cravings you have while on a diet, and you are waiting for that cheat day to arrive as soon as possible. Surprisingly, there are a lot of healthier and more satisfying options available. However, for your convenience, we made a list of healthy swaps for Domino’s that you can have while enjoying your cheat day.
Contact Us Today
Your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you to make healthy and better food choices altogether. So, be aware and take care. The important thing to consider is your own health before starting a diet that is restrictive. Always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.