White sauce pasta is every household favorite. The creamy, rich,…
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Puranpoli is a cherished Maharashtrian sweet flatbread that holds a special place in the hearts of devotees during Ganesh Utsav. This delectable treat is made with a flavorful chana dal (Bengal gram) filling, wrapped in a soft and thin dough, and cooked to perfection. Offering Puranpoli as Naivaidya symbolizes devotion, love, and the festive spirit of the occasion.
How To Prepare Puranpoli At Home?
1 cup chana dal (Bengal gram)
1 cup jaggery, grated
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
A pinch of salt
Ghee (clarified butter) for cooking
- Wash and soak the chana dal for a few hours. Then, cook it until soft and drain any excess water.
- In a pan, heat a teaspoon of ghee and add the cooked chana dal. Add grated jaggery and cook until the mixture thickens into a smooth consistency. This is the puran (sweet filling).
- Blend the puran mixture until it’s silky smooth. Allow it to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, turmeric powder, and a pinch of salt. Add water and knead the dough until soft and pliable.
- Divide the dough and puran into equal portions.
- Flatten a portion of the dough into a small disc and place a portion of the puran in the center. Enclose the puran by folding the dough over it.
- Roll out the stuffed dough gently to make a flatbread (poli).
- Heat a griddle (tava) and cook the poli on both sides, applying little ghee, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve the warm and aromatic Puranpoli as a divine Naivaidya to Lord Ganesha.
How Is Puranpoli Healthy?
Puranpoli, when prepared mindfully and with certain modifications, can indeed be a healthy and
nutritious treat. Let’s break the myth and understand how Puranpoli can be a part of a balanced diet:
- Whole Wheat Flour: Using whole wheat flour for the poli (outer layer) instead of refined flour (maida) adds dietary fiber, which aids digestion and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Chana Dal Filling: Chana dal (Bengal gram) used in the filling is a good source of protein and essential nutrients like iron, manganese, and folate. Protein helps in building and repairing tissues in the body.
- Natural Sweetener: Jaggery, used as a sweetener in Puranpoli, is a healthier alternative to refined sugar. Jaggery is rich in iron and contains minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- Moderation is Key: While jaggery provides natural sweetness, it should still be consumed in moderation as it contains calories. Controlling the quantity of jaggery used can help keep the overall sugar content in check.
- Portion Size: Eating Puranpoli in moderation and as part of a balanced meal ensures that you enjoy its taste without consuming excessive calories..
Remember, moderation and mindful preparation are key to enjoying Puranpoli as a healthy part of your diet. As with any sweet treat, it is essential to balance it with a variety of nutritious foods to ensure a well-rounded diet. Enjoy Puranpoli during festivals in controlled portions and savor the rich flavors while still maintaining a healthy lifestyle.