Table of content
PCOS is quite common among girls and women nowadays. The hormones of a woman are a complex system that functions in a delicate balance. This means that a slight hormone imbalance can become the underlying issue. That too for a number of health concerns, including irregular periods, acne, PCOS, etc.
Usually, when women come to know about PCOS, they choose to run to the doctors and get on medications. Surely, they might not be aware of natural treatments and medicines and seed cycling for PCOS. Do you know what it is? Well, if not, let us now know all about this.
What Is Seed Cycling For PCOS?
- Seed cycling for PCOS is a natural way of supporting women’s reproductive system. And is one of the top trending wellness practices. It is also called the seed rotation diet as it involves eating healthy seeds during PCOS.
- It is a natural medication for regulating women’s reproductive hormones and is very effective against irregular menstruation cycles and PCOS.
- This simple practice, however, helps support balanced hormone levels, reduces PMS symptoms, boosts fertility, and stimulates menstruation if it’s absent.
- Thus, seed cycling for PCOS is the best-known remedy for infertility and symptoms of menopause like hot flashes, fatigue, etc.
Process Of Seed Cycling For PCOS
The process of seed cycling is not complicated or scientific as it seems when read. It basically involves the consumption of 2 tablespoons of raw and freshly grounded seeds. These seeds have hormone regulation properties and help maintain estrogen and progesterone levels in the body. Moreover, you can also mix them with milkshakes or cornflakes.
Most importantly, seed cycling in PCOS should be followed as per the following two phases of the reproductive cycle:
1. Follicular Phase Of Seed Cycling:
In this phase, a woman should eat one tablespoon of pumpkin, flax, and chia seeds. From the first day of her period until ovulating. However, this phase is 2 weeks long for most women.
2. Luteal Phase Of Seed Cycling:
This is another phase of the reproductive cycle. It begins from day 1 of ovulation and ends with the start of periods. In this phase, a woman per day should eat 1 tablespoon of sunflower and sesame seeds till the specified period. However, this lasts for approximately 2 weeks.
Types Of Seeds
Seed cycling for PCOS involves the consumption of 4 types of seeds.
- Flax Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
Let’s go through their benefits and role in seed cycling for PCOS.
Flax Seeds Benefits
Flax seeds being mild, nutty in flavour, crispy, and crunchy is a versatile ingredient. It thus enhances the taste and texture of almost any recipe. They have several benefits and play a vital role in seed cycling for PCOS.
1. Loaded With Nutrients
- Flaxseed is, however, one of the world’s oldest crops. They are of two types, brown and golden, both of which are equally nutritious.
- They provide a good amount of protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids, along with several important vitamins and minerals.
- Additionally, they are high in thiamine which is a B vitamin. This plays a key role in energy metabolism as well as cell function.
- Moreover, flax seeds are a great source of copper, which helps in brain development, immune health, and iron metabolism.
2. High In Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Flaxseed is rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which is a type of omega-3 fatty acid, important for heart health.
- Alpha-linolenic acid in flaxseed helps reduce inflammation and also prevents cholesterol from being deposited in your heart’s blood vessels.
- Moreover, the intake of ALA decreases cholesterol levels and lowers the risk of ischemic heart disease and stroke.
3. Helps Protect Against Cancer
- Flaxseed has a content of lignans, which are plant compounds with cancer-fighting properties.
- The intake of these seeds lowers the risk of breast cancer, particularly for postmenopausal women.
- Moreover, they protect against colorectal, skin, blood, and lung cancer.
4. Rich In Fiber
- Flaxseeds are rich in fibers and further contain two types of fiber that are soluble and insoluble.
- These get fermented by the bacteria in your intestines to support gut health and improve bowel regularity.
- Soluble fiber absorbs water in your intestines and slows down digestion. This further, help regulate blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol.
- Whereas, insoluble fiber adds bulk to the stool, which prevents constipation and promotes regular bowel movements.
5. Reduce Blood Pressure
- The renowned ability of these seeds is that it helps decrease blood pressure levels.
- Moreover, they help lower levels of both systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- These seeds are very beneficial for people with high blood pressure levels. The consumption of 4 tablespoons of flaxseed per day reduces blood pressure.
- According to the studies, flax seeds decrease the BP by 2 mmHg. Further, decreases the risk of stroke and coronary heart disease by 14% and 6%.
Sunflower Seeds Benefits
Sunflower seeds are, however, popular in trail mix, multi-grain bread and nutrition bars. They have a number of benefits that can be useful in the seed cycling of PCOs.
1. Immunity Booster
- Sunflower seeds are rich in vitamin E, zinc and selenium which boosts immunity.
- The presence of Vitamin E enhances immune responses and protects against several infectious diseases.
- Moreover, it is also a powerful antioxidant and prevents free radicals from damaging healthy cells in our bodies.
- Whereas, the presence of Zinc protects the body from inflammation, allergies and invading pathogens.
- Selenium in sunflower seeds reduces inflammation, enhances immunity and helps to reduce oxidative stress from free radicals.
2. Reduces Cholesterol
- The fiber content present in sunflower seeds decreases levels of LDL cholesterol in the blood.
- These seeds contain Niacin or vitamin B3 which reduces total cholesterol levels and the risk of heart diseases.
- Being rich in Vitamin B5 increases HDL cholesterol and reduces total serum cholesterol levels.
3. Cardioprotective Effects
- Sunflower seeds are rich in oleic, and linoleic acid and low in saturated fats and sodium.
- These seeds are also rich in magnesium, potassium, and fiber.
- Most importantly, they help to lower blood pressure and serum cholesterol levels.
- The consumption of these seeds reduces the occurrence of arrhythmias and protects the body from the occurrence of cardiovascular disorders.
4. Reduce Risk Of Cancer
- Well, these seeds contain Beta-sitosterol, a phytosterol that helps to prevent breast cancer.
- They further, inhibit the growth of tumour cells, decreases the size of the tumour and also prevent metastasis.
- Being rich in strong antioxidants reduces the risk of cancer and colon cancer.
5. Boosts Function Of The Brain
- Sunflower seeds contain vitamin B6 which improves mood and concentration.
- It moreover, enhances memory and releases serotonin and norepinephrine in our body.
- Most importantly, these seeds help to ease symptoms associated with premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
Sesame Seeds Benefits
Although sesame seeds are tiny but have many benefits. They are basically oil-rich seeds that grow in pods on the Sesamum indicum plant. Following are the essential benefits of sesame seeds.
1. Lowers Cholesterol And Triglycerides
- Sesame seeds consist of 15% saturated fat, 41% polyunsaturated fat, and 39% monounsaturated fat.
- However, eating more polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat helps lower your cholesterol and reduce heart disease risk.
- These seeds also contain two types of plant compounds that are lignans and phytosterols which helps with cholesterol-lowering effects.
- They help reduce heart disease risk factors, including elevated triglyceride and “bad” LDL cholesterol levels.
2. Nutritious Source Of Plant Protein
- Sesame is rich in proteins that are essential for your health, as it helps build everything from muscles to hormones.
- Additionally, these seeds are low in lysine, which is an essential amino acid more abundant in animal products.
- Sesame seeds are moreover, high in 2 amino acids that are methionine and cysteine. These are not provided by legumes in large amounts.
3. Helps Lower Blood Pressure
- Sesame seeds being high in magnesium help lower blood pressure.
- Additionally, the presence of lignans, vitamin E, and other antioxidants in them helps prevent plaque buildup in your arteries.
- Potentially maintaining healthy blood pressure.
4. Support Healthy Bones
- Sesame seeds, both unhulled and hulled, are rich in several nutrients. These boost bone health, though the calcium is mainly in the hull.
- However, sesame seeds contain natural compounds called oxalates and phytates, antinutrients that reduce the absorption of these minerals.
- Unhulled sesame seeds are rich in nutrients essential for healthy bones, including calcium. Soaking, roasting, or sprouting sesame seeds, however, improve the absorption of these minerals.
5. Reduce Inflammation
- Sesame seeds help fight inflammation and chronic conditions, including obesity and cancer, as well as heart and kidney disease.
- The sesame seed oil also has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Sesame seeds are a good source of thiamine, niacin, and vitamin B6. Which are further, necessary for proper cellular function and metabolism.
Pumpkin Seeds Benefits
Pumpkin seeds are also called pepita in North America. They are the edible seeds of a pumpkin and have several nutrients. Let us read the amazing benefits that plays important role in seed cycling for PCOs.
1. Full Of Valuable Nutrients
- Pumpkin seeds have valuable nutrients like fiber, carbs, proteins, Vitamin K, phosphorus, and many more.
- Additionally, they also contain antioxidants and a decent amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids, potassium, vitamin B2, and folate.
- Pumpkin seeds have plant compounds that further provide health benefits.
- These seeds are rich in antioxidants, iron, zinc, magnesium, and many other nutrients.
2. High In Antioxidants
- Pumpkin seeds contain antioxidants like carotenoids and vitamin E.
- Antioxidants further reduce inflammation and protect cells from harmful free radicals.
- Consumption of foods that are rich in antioxidants helps protect against many diseases and also has positive effects on health.
3. Reduce Risk Of Certain Cancers
- Foods that contain pumpkin seeds reduce the risk of stomach, breast, lung, prostate and colon cancers.
- Also, these seeds have lignans that reduce the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- Also, they have the potential to slow down the growth of prostate cancer cells.
4. Improve Prostate And Bladder Health
- Pumpkin seeds also help relieve symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH.)
- Consumption of these pumpkin seeds reduces symptoms and improves the quality of life.
- Further research suggests that taking pumpkin seeds or their products as supplements can help treat symptoms of an overactive bladder.
- Moreover, they reduce symptoms of benign prostate enlargement and an overactive bladder.
5. Very High In Magnesium
- Pumpkin seeds are the best natural source of magnesium that helps control blood pressure and reduce heart disease risk.
- Magnesium forms and maintains healthy bones and regulates blood sugar levels.
How To Make Seed Cycling A Habit?
There are a few habits that are important to form. These habits can help you improve your health and keep you away from certain diseases. Women suffering from PCOS should make it a point to form a habit of eating seeds. If they want a better reproductive system. Although, seed cycling is a simple practice, but any new habit can be challenging at first. Following these steps will help you make seed cycling a daily habit and part of your long-term routine.
1. Track Your Cycle And Take Ovulation Tests
The first step for following seed cycling is to track your period cycle through a smartphone app or calendar. Predicting your cycle can not always be correct, so make sure you know the exact dates of your period. While taking ovulation tests is also helpful. As you will know when you’ve switched from the follicular phase to the luteal phase. This is, however, the best way to know whether seed cycling is working or not.
2. Buy Seeds In Bulk
Seeds like sunflower seeds, flax seeds and others are a little expensive. So it is better you buy these seeds in bulk as you can save money. Also, you will not have to rush to the market, again and again, to buy them when required. To store them you can also make powder out of them. Store them in a jar and keep them in a fridge for freshness.
3. Add Seeds To Your Diet
The best way to form a habit of eating seeds is that you add them to your meal. If you get bored of eating them raw, you can sprinkle them onto your food and have them. Women with PCOS should get creative about how to consume seeds. Along with this make sure you keep daily track of how many seeds you are consuming. As they might affect your daily intake of calories, carbohydrates, fat and protein.
4. Get Organized
Organizing yourself is, however, a key to staying healthy. Also, following the seed cycle for PCOS will be less challenging for you. You can prepare your meals accordingly and add these seeds to them. Also, the easiest way to keep track of the quantity you can label the jars and refrigerate them.
5. Support System
Well, for a healthy you, it is important you surround yourself with a positive environment. You can take motivation from your close family members or maybe the bloggers. As you get motivated more it will become easy for you to follow a healthy lifestyle.
Safety Tip Before You Start Seed Cycling For PCOS
Seed cycling for PCOS is a very safe and smooth habit to form. There are no major side effects or any risks involved. But people who have allergies to the seeds should, however, avoid this practice. Or should consult their dietitian or doctors for better guidance. All over, this natural way of getting rid of PCOS is a better choice than eating strong medicines.
Secret To A Healthy Lifestyle: Health Is Wealth
People who look slim and toned do not mean they are completely healthy. If just by looking at them you think they are fit then you might be wrong. However, good health does not only involve looking perfect and beautiful in clothes because that is just the outside beauty. Good health, therefore, involves the inner body also. This includes physical wellness, mental wellness, and social wellness. Let us see what Dietitian Mac has to say about this.
How To Consume Seeds During This Process?
- The best time to start seed cycling for PCOS is in summer. However, in the first half of the cycle- Day 1-14:
- Consume seeds rich in estrogens like flaxseeds or pumpkin seeds.
- In the second half of the cycle- Day 15-30:
- Consume seeds rich in progesterone- sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.
Is Seed Cycling Good For PCOS?
Well, yes, Seed cycling boasts a healthy reproductive cycle and helps women maintain a normal estrogen and progesterone level.
How Long Does It Take For Seeds Cycling For PCOS To Work?
Seeds cycling is a slow process. However, it takes approximately 3 months to work. Although one can see an improvement in the reproductive cycle in the second month.
Does Seed Cycling For PCOS work?
However, this process is an alternative medicine practice that helps regulate reproductive hormones. Although evidence on seed cycling is non-existent, the practice has been around for a long time.
What Is The Difference Between PCOS and PCOD?
PCOD is a condition in which ovaries produce many immature or partially mature eggs. This could be due to poor lifestyle, obesity, stress and hormonal imbalance. While PCOS is a metabolic disorder and a more severe form of PCOD. As that can lead to anovulation where ovaries stop releasing eggs.
Yummy Recipes From Our Kitchen
- Egg Curry Recipe (Dhaba Style) | Quick And Easy Anda Curry – Fitelo
- Amritsari Kulcha: Make Healthy Aloo Kulcha At Home [Weight Loss]
- Chickpea Salad Recipe: How To Make Black Chana Salad [High Protein]
Ice cream is love, especially in summers. Everyone relishes it and never finds satisfaction in one scoop, they want more. But, wait a minute! Are you even eating real ice cream or is it a frozen dessert in a name of real ice cream? Well, know about what are you eating as Fitelo tells about the real and fake ice creams. Time to pick real ice cream and enjoy its creaminess with yummy flavours.
PCOS being common in today’s generation among females, it is important to know about its cure. However, it is true that there are several medicines for it. But you can choose a natural remedy for curing this problem. Fitelo, tells you all about the natural medicine called seed cycling for PCOS which is easy and effective. The consumption of seeds in this process has other health benefits also. Moreover, Fitelo has helped a number of clients to reach their goal of losing weight while suffering from PCOS. To know more about this or a proper diet for it you can contact Fitelo.
Contact Us Today
Your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you in achieving your weight loss goals.
All recipes from Fitelo’s kitchen are devised to suit specific needs. And what may suit one condition may not be applicable to the other. Hence, always consult your nutritionist or dietitian before adding these recipes to your diet.