Idli also called rice cake, is arguably one of the…
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Most loved sweet which is there in most of the Indian festivals as well as served as Naivaidya. But let’s avoid the outside shrikhand and try making Shrikhand at home for our festive season
What Makes Store-Bought Shrikhand Less Healthy?
Store-bought shrikhand may not be as healthy as homemade shrikhand for several reasons:
- Added Sugar: Commercially prepared shrikhand often contains high amounts of added sugar to enhance its sweetness and taste. Excessive sugar consumption can lead to health issues such as obesity, diabetes, and tooth decay.
- Artificial Flavors and Colors: Some outside shrikhand may use artificial flavors and colors to achieve the desired taste and appearance. These additives may not be beneficial for health and could cause adverse reactions in some individuals.
- Preservatives: Packaged shrikhand may contain preservatives to extend its shelf life. These preservatives can be harmful in the long run and may cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Quality of Ingredients: The quality of ingredients used in commercial shrikhand may not be as fresh and wholesome as homemade shrikhand. Homemade shrikhand allows you to control the quality of ingredients and choose healthier options.
- Calories and Fat Content: Some commercially prepared shrikhand can be high in calories and saturated fats, which can contribute to weight gain and affect heart health if consumed in excess.
- Processing Methods: The processing methods used in commercial shrikhand production may Involve heating or pasteurization, which can lead to a loss of some essential nutrients.
- Trans Fats: In some cases, commercial shrikhand may contain unhealthy trans fats, which can be detrimental to heart health.
What Are The Benefits Of Homemade Shrikhand?
On the other hand, homemade shrikhand allows you to control the ingredients and tailor the sweetness and flavors to your preference. By using fresh and natural ingredients, you can make a healthier version of shrikhand that is both delicious and nutritious.
- Homemade shrikhand retains the natural goodness of yogurt, making it a healthier and wholesome dessert option.
- When preparing shrikhand at home, you can opt for natural sweeteners like honey or jaggery, use fresh and high-quality ingredients, and avoid the use of artificial additives and preservatives. This way, you can enjoy the goodness of shrikhand without compromising on your health.
- Homemade Shrikhand is a delightful and traditional sweet that can be prepared with love and devotion during Ganeshutsav as a special Naivaidya for Lord Ganesha.
- Shrikhand is a creamy and rich dessert made from strained yogurt and flavored with cardamom and saffron. It is not only delicious but also holds cultural and festive significance. Here’s a simple recipe for preparing Homemade Shrikhand:
How To Make Shrikhand Recipe At Home?
2 cups plain yogurt (preferably full-fat)
1/4 cup powdered jaggery (adjust to taste)
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
A few saffron strands, soaked in 1 tablespoon of warm milk
Chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios) for garnish
A pinch of nutmeg powder (optional)
- Take the plain yogurt in a clean muslin cloth or a fine sieve. Tie the cloth securely and hang it over a bowl for at least 4-5 hours or overnight in the refrigerator to drain excess water from the yogurt. This will result in thick and creamy hung curd.
- Transfer the thick-hung curd to a mixing bowl and add powdered jaggery. Mix well until the sugar dissolves completely and the mixture becomes smooth.
- Add cardamom powder and the soaked saffron along with the milk to the yogurt mixture. Mix gently to infuse the flavors.
- You can also add a pinch of nutmeg powder for extra aroma (optional).
- Chill the Shrikhand in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
- Garnish the Shrikhand with chopped nuts like almonds and pistachios before offering it to Lord Ganesha as Naivaidya.
- Serve the delectable and homemade Shrikhand to Lord Ganesha during Ganesh Utsav and savor the divine blessings and sweetness of the festival.