Everyone is aware of dry fruits’ benefits for health, however,…
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Solkadhi recipe or kokum curry is a perfectly refreshing as well as a tasty drink. This recipe is a specialty of the Konkan region that extends from Goa to all over Maharashtra. The kokum fruit is largely produced in this Konkan region as well as used as a souring agent in many of the specialties of the area. It has both cooling and digestive properties. These properties make it a perfect counter to the heavily spiced dishes of the Western Coastal Indian cuisines. Also, solkadhi recipe has a sour taste similar to buttermilk or a chaas.
How To Prepare Solkadhi Recipe
- To begin with, rinse 10-12 kokums under cool water. Place them in a bowl. Then add 1 cup of water and soak them for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Now, after 30 minutes, completely crush and squeeze kokum in the water by using your fingers. And pour the kokum extract into a strainer placed atop a bowl.
- The kokum shreds will collect in the strainer. Simultaneously, press the collected kokum shreds with a spoon to extract as much flavor as possible.
- Then add 2 cups of water to the kokum extract.
- Add 1 to 1.5 cups of thick coconut milk and mix it well.
- Then, add salt to taste and mix again. Keep the kokum kadhi aside. And let’s prepare its tempering.
- To make it more tempering, heat 1.5 tablespoons of oil/ desi ghee in a tadka pan. Keep the heat to a low. Then, add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds and green chilies.
- Let them crackle. Then, add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them crackle too.
- Lastly, add the below-listed spices and herbs:
- 9 to 10 curry leaves
- 2 dry red chilies
- 3-4 lightly crushed small to medium-sized garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 pinch of asafoetida powder (hing)
- Stir gently and fry for 30 seconds or so, till the garlic turns lightly golden.
- Quickly pour the tempering on the kokum and coconut milk mixture. Then mix it well.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander leaves to the solkadi and mix again.
- Serve solkadhi straight away, or refrigerate and then serve cold.
Here are a few nutritional facts:
Health Benefits of Solkadhi Recipe
Here are a few health advantages of this recipe:
- Cooling Agent: Firstly, solkadhi cools the body as it can act as a natural cooling agent.
- Improves Digestion: Secondly, it promotes digestion by cleansing the digestive system. It also relieves several digestive complaints. Also, it prevents acidity, diarrhea, gas, indigestion, constipation, and abdominal pain.
- Controls Blood Sugar: The presence of high fiber rich food content aids in controlling blood sugar levels. And consumption of solkadhi is also known to reduce postprandial blood sugars.
- Helps In Weight Loss: Hydroxy-citric acid present in solkadhi creates fullness in the body thereby decreasing the consumption of food. As it restricts lipogenesis in the body and acts as a catalyst in burning body fat.
White Rice VS Brown Rice
White rice is more common and popular amongst people. This is because white rice is a refined grain while brown rice is a whole grain. Most of the fitness gurus suggest that Brown rice is the way to go but is it true? What is the reality? So, to know the truth about white rice vs brown rice refer the below video by Mac Singh.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Kokum Curry or Solkadhi?
Ans: Solkadhi recipe which is also known as kokum curry is a soothing digestive drink popular in Maharashtra and Goa (Konkan Region). It is made up of coconut milk and kokum fruit.
Q: Is Solkadhi Good for Health?
Ans: Yes, it is good for health. It has various health benefits such as it cools the digestive system especially after eating spicy food. Also, has an excellent antidote to acidity.
Ever heard of Thalipeeth? Well, some of you surely must have and some of you never. So, it is the famous dish of Maharashtra and is tasty and healthy at the same time. However, try Fitelo, thalipeeth recipe, and make your breakfast unique and enjoyable.
Contact Us Today
So, your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
All the recipes from Fitelo kitchen are devised to suit specific needs. And what may suit one condition may not be applicable to the other. However, always consult your nutritionist or dietitian before adding any of these recipes to your diet. Read More.