Kulcha, a mildly leavened flatbread variety, is an invention of…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Are you planning a vacation but worried about compromising your healthy eating habits? Do not worry! With the right knowledge and preparation, you can enjoy delicious and nutritious vacation foods while on the go.
In this blog post, we will explore various traditional Indian foods that are easy to prepare and perfect for travelers. We have covered you, from quick breakfast options to portable snacks and flavorful dinner choices. So, let’s begin with these nutritious and easy vacation meals!
Traditional Indian Vacation Foods Perfect for Traveling
Traditional Indian foods are delicious and perfect for travelers who want to maintain a healthy diet while on vacation. These dishes are full of flavor and nutrients and offer various options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even healthy snack recipes.
When it comes to breakfast options, nothing beats the classic combination of Poha or Upma, as these can be easily prepared using basic ingredients like onions, green chilies, mustard seeds, and curry leaves. Additionally, they are light yet filling vacation foods enough to keep you energized throughout the day.
Try packing some homemade trail mix with roasted nuts and dried fruits for portable snacks that provide an on-the-go energy boost. Healthy snacks like roasted chickpeas, sandwiches, salad, etc., are easy to carry in small Ziploc bags and will also satisfy your cravings during long hours of sightseeing.
When it’s time for lunch or dinner, opt for dal (lentil) preparations paired with roti or rice. Dal is not only rich in protein but also provides essential vitamins and minerals. Also, pair it with a simple vegetable curry like bhindi masala (okra stir-fry) or baingan bharta (roasted eggplant mash), which can be cooked in advance and stored in leak-proof containers.
Thus, in India, you can find a wide range of flavorful, easy vacation meals that cater to adventurous eaters. So, let’s move on and discuss the various options for each meal that are easy to prepare, pack, and store for Indian travelers!
Quick And Easy Breakfast Vacation Foods
Starting your day with a nutritious breakfast is essential, especially when traveling, because it gives you the energy to explore and fully enjoy your vacation. Check out the list of quick and easy breakfast options that are delicious and nutritious below. If you have diabetes, read our blog on Indian breakfast for diabetics for more guidance.
Let’s discuss the yummy and quick breakfast options:
- Parathas are a versatile and filling breakfast option. You can easily make various types, such as aloo (potato) paratha, gobi (cauliflower) paratha, or paneer (cottage cheese) paratha. They are quick and easy to pack with some curd or pickle. It is easily available at local food shops as well.
- Poha is a light and nutritious breakfast dish made from flattened rice. It is quickly prepared and often cooked with spices, onions, peas, and peanuts. You can also find it at local breakfast joints easily.
- Upma is a popular South Indian breakfast dish made from semolina. It’s cooked with spices and vegetables. It’s easy to make and customizable to your taste preferences.
- Idli is a classic South Indian breakfast item served with coconut chutney. These soft, steamed rice cakes are quick to make and you can add a twist by adding veggies. You can find idli in most South Indian restaurants.
- Dosa is a thin, crispy pancake made from fermented rice and lentil batter, a popular South Indian dish. Dosas come in various fillings, such as masala dosa or cheese dosa. They are easily available everywhere in India, and you can prepare them at home and pack them for the journey. Also, read this blog to know Is dosa good for weight loss?
Some More Yummy Breakfast Food Options
The list of food to take on vacation is not just finished. Find some more easy vacation meals below:
- Aloo Tikki is a North Indian street food snack that makes a quick and tasty breakfast. You can prepare them at home and pack them with chutneys and yogurt.
- Bread Omelette is a simple and satisfying option that consists of an omelet sandwiched between two slices of bread. You can also customize the omelet with vegetables, cheese, or spices.
- Sandwiches: You will find various sandwiches in India, from grilled cheese to vegetable sandwiches. You can also make your own favorite sandwich and pack it with any dip for the travel. These can be quick and filling breakfast options.
Hence, with these quick and easy vacation meals for family available in India during your travels, there’s no excuse to skip this important meal of the day! So, fuel up for adventure every morning to make lasting memories throughout your trip!
Portable Snacks Options For Vacation Foods
When traveling, it is important to have convenient snacks on hand that provide you with the energy to keep exploring. Whether trekking through mountains or strolling along busy city streets, having portable snacks can be a lifesaver. Luckily, Indian cuisine also offers plenty of delicious and nutritious easy meals for beach vacation!
- Fresh Fruit Chaat is a popular and healthy snack with fresh fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, and pomegranates. It is typically seasoned with spices and a squeeze of lemon juice for a refreshing treat.
- Roasted Nuts: You can easily find street vendors selling roasted peanuts, almonds, and cashews. These are great protein and healthy fat sources to keep you energized. You can also make healthy snacks for kids to cater to their quick hunger pangs!
- Chana Chaat: Chana chaat is made from boiled chickpeas mixed with chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumber, and spices. It is a high-protein snack that is both filling and nutritious.
- Sprout Salad: Sprouted lentils or mung beans are mixed with chopped vegetables, spices, and a squeeze of lemon to create a crunchy and protein-rich snack.
- Masala Corn: Roasted or steamed corn on the cob is often seasoned with spices and lemon juice, making it a healthy and flavorful street snack.
- Puffed Rice Snacks: Puffed rice is a low-calorie option that can be turned into snacks like bhel puri (mixed with chutneys and vegetables) or masala murmura (seasoned with spices).
- Trail Mix: Create your own trail mix with nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and a sprinkle of dark chocolate chips.
Some More Fulfilling Healthy Snacks
Find below some more easy vacation meals for families that can be nutritious options for great snacking.
- Homemade Energy Bars: Make your own energy bars using ingredients like oats, nuts, honey, and dried fruits. Cut them into bars or bite-sized pieces for easy snacking. How to make them? Please read our blog on the best protein bars for weight loss, and start making any of your choices!
- Yogurt with Honey and Nuts: Enjoy a small cup of yogurt topped with honey and chopped nuts for a quick protein-packed snack.
- Boiled Eggs: Hard-boiled eggs are a portable source of protein. You can find them at many food stalls or prepare them yourself if you have access to a kitchen.
- Vegetable cutlets: If you are looking for something more substantial, consider packing vegetable cutlets in your travel bag. These savory treats can be enjoyed cold and are perfect for those times when you need a quick meal on the go.
- Makhana (Fox Nuts): These roasted lotus seeds are low in calories and make a crunchy and healthy snack. They come in various flavors.
- Dhokla: Dhokla is a steamed and fermented snack made from rice and chickpea flour. It’s a light and nutritious option that’s often served with chutney. Check out how to make dhokla at home from Fitelo’s kitchen!
- Fresh Juice: Many street vendors and juice shops offer freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juices. Opt for options like watermelon, cucumber, or orange juice for a healthy refreshment.
- Coconut Chunks: Enjoy fresh coconut chunks or coconut slices for a tropical and nutritious snack.
Pack these snacks in resealable bags or containers to keep them fresh throughout your journey. And don’t forget about staying hydrated! Carry a reusable water bottle with you at all times to quench your thirst while enjoying these tasty treats.
Filling And Nutritious Lunch Vacation Foods Ideas
Here, we are sharing vacation meal ideas that are both delicious and satisfying. So, if you travel by train, plane, or automobile, these lunch ideas will keep your energy levels up and your taste buds happy. Let’s discuss some quick snacks for vacation:
- Vegetable Biryani: Make a flavorful vegetable biryani with aromatic spices, basmati rice, and various veggies. Pack it with raita (yogurt with herbs and spices) for a complete meal. This is a healthy and easy-to-carry lunch for travel purposes.
- Chickpea Salad: Prepare a chickpea salad with canned chickpeas, diced cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. Toss with lemon juice, olive oil, and a sprinkle of spices like cumin and paprika.
- Aloo Paratha: If you can access a kitchen, make aloo parathas by stuffing whole-wheat flatbreads with a spiced potato mixture. Pack it with yogurt and pickles; the perfect snacks for vacation are ready!
- Quinoa and Roasted Veggie Bowl: Cook quinoa and top it with roasted vegetables like bell peppers, garlic-roasted zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with a lemon-tahini dressing and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Chicken or Paneer Tikka Wraps: Grill or sauté chicken or paneer (cottage cheese) with spices and wrap them in whole-grain flatbreads with sliced veggies and a yogurt-based sauce. Quick to make and easy to pack!
- Mixed Dal Soup: Prepare a hearty mixed dal soup with various lentils and spices. Pack it with a side of whole-grain bread or roti with salad.
- Spinach and Paneer: Make a healthy version of palak paneer, a creamy spinach and cottage cheese curry. Pack it with brown rice or whole-wheat roti.
- Lentil Salad: Create a salad with cooked lentils, diced cucumber, red onion, and a zesty vinaigrette dressing. Add fresh herbs for extra flavor, and your easy food to take on vacation is ready!
Other Nutritious Lunch Options
Looking for some more easy food to take on vacation? Do not worry. We have more on the list:
- Chana Masala: Cook chickpea curry (chana masala) and enjoy it with brown rice or whole-wheat roti. Top it with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lemon.
- Rice and Egg Curry: Prepare a simple egg curry with hard-boiled eggs in a flavorful tomato-based sauce. Pack it with rice and some salad. Also, read about the amazing egg yolk benefits for your health!
- Tuna or Chickpea Salad Sandwich: Make a quick tuna or chickpea salad with diced vegetables and a light dressing. Use it as a sandwich filling with whole-grain bread.
- Stir-Fried Noodles: Whip up a stir-fried noodle dish with colorful vegetables and your choice of protein (chicken, tofu, or shrimp). Use whole-grain noodles for added nutrition.
- Chole Wrap: Prepare chole (spiced chickpea curry) and fill it with whole-grain wraps or roti. Add sliced onions and a dollop of yogurt.
- Veggie Stir-Fry: Quickly stir-fry a mix of vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli, and carrots with a flavorful sauce. You can eat it with brown rice or noodles.
- Paneer Bhurji: Make quick paneer bhurji by sautéing crumbled paneer with onions, tomatoes, and spices. Enjoy it with whole-grain roti while traveling!
No matter which vacation meal ideas you choose for your midday meal while traveling in India – rest assured that there will always be plenty of flavors to satisfy every palate.
Flavorful Dinner Vacation Foods For Adventurous Eaters
When it comes to dinner options while traveling, adventurous eaters are always on the hunt for unique and delicious flavors. So, find below a variety of dishes that will satisfy even the most daring taste buds:
- Methi Thepla: Methi Thepla is a nutritious Gujarati flatbread made with whole wheat flour, fenugreek leaves, and spices. It’s great for dinner and can be enjoyed with yogurt or pickles.
- Vegetable Pulav: Make a simple vegetable pulao by cooking rice with mixed vegetables and spices. You can add nuts like cashews or raisins for extra flavor and texture. Also, know the high-protein Indian dinner for weight loss that you can add to your travel diet.
- Egg-Fried Rice: Prepare a quick egg-fried rice with cooked rice, scrambled eggs, and stir-fried vegetables. Season with soy sauce or your preferred spices.
- Masala Omelette: Whip up a masala omelet with diced onions, tomatoes, and green chilies. Fold it over and pack it for a protein-rich dinner.
- Tofu and Veggie Stir-Fry: If you prefer a plant-based option, make a quick stir-fry with tofu and various vegetables. Serve it with brown rice or quinoa.
- Grilled Chicken or Paneer Skewers: Marinate chicken or paneer cubes with spices and grill them. Pack them with a side of chutney or sauce for a satisfying dinner.
- Chapati and Mixed Veg Sabzi: Make chapati (Indian flatbread) and pair it with a mixed vegetable sabzi (curry).
- Mixed Vegetable Khichdi: Cook a comforting mixed vegetable khichdi by combining rice, lentils, and assorted veggies. It is a wholesome and one-pot meal.
So, all of the above is the list of food to take on vacation to make your journey more fulfilling. These dishes are bursting with bold flavors and offer a truly authentic experience of Indian cuisine.
Desserts To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
When you are on vacation, indulging in a delicious dessert is the perfect way to treat yourself. Following are some sweet treats that are both satisfying and nutritious.
- Coconut Ladoo: Make quick coconut ladoos by mixing desiccated coconut with condensed milk. Shape them into small balls and let them set. These no-bake treats are sweet and satisfying.
- Date and Nut Bars: Blend dates, nuts (such as almonds and cashews), and a bit of honey in a food processor. Press the mixture into a pan and refrigerate until firm. Cut into bars for a naturally sweet snack.
- Dry Fruit Chikki: Prepare a chikki by melting jaggery (or honey) and mixing it with assorted dry fruits like almonds, peanuts, and cashews. Spread it thin and let it cool before breaking it into pieces.
- Rice Pudding (Kheer): Make a simple rice pudding (kheer) by simmering rice in milk with sugar and cardamom. Once cooled, pack it in small containers for a sweet treat.
- Dried Fruits: Carry a mix of dried fruits such as apricots, figs, and raisins for a quick and nutritious dessert. Also, check out the list of dry fruits for diabetics to eat while traveling.
- Guilt-Free Chocolate Bites: Mix dark chocolate with roasted nuts and dried fruits. Drop spoonfuls onto parchment paper and let them set for a chocolatey treat.
- Chia Seed Pudding: Mix chia seeds with milk (or a milk alternative) and a sweetener of your choice, such as honey or maple syrup. Let it sit in the fridge until it thickens, and then pack it in portable containers.
- Roasted Gram Ladoo: Mix roasted gram flour with jaggery and ghee to form small ladoos.
So, these quick and healthy dessert options make them perfect for your journey in India.
Tips To Consider When Planning Vacation Foods
1. Plan Ahead: Research restaurants or eateries that offer healthy options at your destination.
2. Pack Snacks: Carry healthy snacks like nuts, fruits, or granola bars to curb hunger between meals.
3. Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, especially in warm climates.
4. Practice Portion Control: Enjoy local cuisine, but be mindful of portion sizes.
5. Limit Alcohol and Sugary Drinks: Consume alcoholic and sugary beverages in moderation.
6. Read Labels: When buying packaged foods, read labels for nutritional information.
7. Listen to Your Body: Pay attention to your hunger and fullness cues to avoid overeating.
Always carry a reusable water bottle with you and opt for hydrating foods like fruits and vegetables. Not only do they provide essential nutrients, but they also have high water content, which aids in hydration.
The Importance Of Carrying Vacation Foods While Traveling
Healthy eating while traveling is essential for several reasons, as it contributes to your overall well-being and enhances your travel experience in various ways. Here are some of the key reasons why healthy eating is crucial when you are on the road:
1. Sustained Energy Levels
Traveling involves long hours of walking, sightseeing, and exploring. A consistent energy supply would be best to make the most of your trip. A balanced diet in a vacation meal idea with the right mix of carbohydrates, proteins, and healthy fats can help balance energy levels throughout the day.
2. Weight Management
Traveling can disrupt your regular exercise routine, making it easier to gain weight. Focusing on healthy eating by planning vacation food ideas can help you maintain weight or even make healthier choices when dining out. So include quick dishes made with fat-burning foods in your vacation foods.
3. Immune System Support
Traveling exposes you to new environments and potentially unfamiliar foods. A healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals can strengthen your immune system, reducing the risk of getting sick while away from home.
4. Mood and Mental Health
Nutrition directly impacts your mood and mental health. Unhealthy eating can lead to mood swings, fatigue, and irritability, negatively affecting your travel experience. On the other hand, a diet with nutrient-dense foods can help stabilize your mood and reduce stress.
5. Digestive Health
Eating unfamiliar or street foods can sometimes upset your stomach. Maintaining a healthy diet with fiber-rich foods can aid digestion and prevent gastrointestinal issues.
6. Long-Term Health
Your travel habits can impact your long-term health. You consistently make unhealthy food choices while on the road, which can lead to weight gain and other health problems. Making a nutritional and healthy food chart during travels can improve your overall well-being.
Bottomline For Vacation Foods
When it comes to traveling, maintaining a healthy diet can make all the difference in how you feel and enjoy your trip. By choosing nutritious Indian vacation foods that are easy to prepare and carry with you, you can ensure that your body gets the nourishment it needs while exploring new destinations.
By packing vacation foods with you, you have control over what goes into your meals and save money by avoiding expensive restaurant meals or unhealthy fast food options. It allows for flexibility in terms of meal times and ensures that you won’t go hungry even if there aren’t many healthy eating options available at your destination. You can also connect with our Fitelo experts for any dietary guidance.
So, next time you embark on an adventure, don’t forget to pack these easy and nutritious Indian vacation foods! Your taste buds will thank you for the delicious flavors, while your body will appreciate the nourishment. Bon voyage!
Sharan’s Weight Loss Journey – Lost 15 Kgs In Just 90 Days!
Sharan, a homemaker from San Francisco, USA, successfully lost 15 kg and experienced dramatic inch loss within just 90 days through Fitelo’s online weight loss program. Despite being conscious about her diet and trying various diets for two years, she found effective results and a transformative journey with Fitelo. Here is Sharan’s inspiring story:
Did you know that garlic, the flavorful herb found in kitchens worldwide, is also known as the “power herb” for weight loss? Its natural compounds may help boost metabolism, reduce cravings, and promote fat burning. So, adding a touch of garlic to your meals not only adds flavor but also supports your weight loss journey!
Is Cow Milk Unhealthy? – Fitelo Reveals
Find out if cow milk is unhealthy or healthy compared to soy, almond, and oats. Dietician Mac Singh will reveal all the details in this video. To know the complete truth, watch now:
Frequently Asked Questions
What Indian Food To Carry While Traveling?
When traveling, pack healthy and quick meals like whole grain roti with curry, nuts, fruits, biryani, roasted chickpeas, dried fruits, veg sandwiches, etc. Do not forget to bring a refillable water bottle to stay hydrated. These choices ensure you have nutritious and easy-to-prepare meals on the go.
How Do You Pack Snacks For Travel?
Pack snacks for travel in small, resealable bags or containers to keep them fresh and prevent spills. Choose options like granola bars, trail mix, and fruit slices to satisfy different cravings. Ensure they are easily accessible for quick and convenient snacking during your journey.
What Are Healthy Dry Snacks For Traveling?
Healthy dry snacks for traveling include mixed nuts, like almonds and walnuts, as they provide protein and healthy fats. Dried fruits such as apricots and raisins offer natural sweetness. Roasted chickpeas, foxnuts, or masala corn are also nutritious options for sustained energy.
Is Banana Good For Traveling?
Yes, bananas are an excellent travel snack. They are portable, easy to peel, and provide a quick natural energy source due to their high carbohydrate content. Additionally, they contain potassium, which can help prevent muscle cramps during long journeys.
Contact Us Today
Get in touch with our expert team at Fitelo to kick-start your transformative journey! Let us guide you toward your weight loss goals and help you cultivate sustainable and healthy eating habits. So, contact us today and take the first step towards a healthier, happier you with Fitelo!
This blog was written to help you make healthy and better food choices. So, be aware and take care. The vital thing to consider is your health before starting a restrictive diet. Therefore, before starting, always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long, happy life.