White sauce pasta is every household favorite. The creamy, rich,…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 25,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Sunlight is the best medicine and source of Vitamin D probably that is why it is known as the ‘sunshine Vitamin.” Enjoying the sun in winter is fun and comforting. But it is not the same in summer, isn’t it? Although absorbing the heat of the sun only for 10 minutes is the best way to give your body DV. However, vitamin D is very important for the body and usually, people lack it. Well, as a fact now, the sun is not only the source of Vitamin D but there are several vitamin D-rich foods that you can consume to enrich your body with it. Let us know which foods you should start adding to your diet and provide your body with this essential vitamin.
Why Vitamin D-Rich Foods
Vitamin D is, however, a nutrient that we intake and a hormone that our body makes. It absorbs and retains the calcium and phosphorus in the body and is a fat-soluble vitamin. There are many benefits of vitamin D and is important to include vitamin D foods in your diet. The following are some essential benefits.
Benefits Of Vitamin D
Vitamin D apart from weight loss has other benefits also that are essential for your body. Watch and know how vitamin D is important for you by Dietitian Mac.
- Vitamin D maintains adequate levels of calcium and phosphorus. Moreover, it helps in promoting the absorption of calcium which is further necessary for the mineralization of healthy bone.
- This vitamin is essential for everybody as it helps keep the immune system healthy reducing the risk of autoimmune diseases.
- Intake of vitamin D also reduces the levels of depression improving overall mental health.
- Vitamin D moreover, reduces the risk of multiple sclerosis further decreasing the chance of heart diseases like heart failure, heart stroke, or hypertension.
- It reduces severe illnesses supporting the overall immune health.
- For people on their weight loss journey, for them also intake of vitamin D is very important as it helps in weight loss reducing obesity levels.
Foods Rich In Vitamin D
Although there are several foods high in vitamin D, the following are the best source of the same. They are versatile and easy to consume or add to your diet.
Salmon is the best source of vitamin D and as a fact, vitamin D in wild salmon is more compared to farmed salmon. However, a 100 grams serving of farmed salmon contains around 66% of the DV while in wild salmon there is up to 160% of the DV.
- Salmon is rich in DV and is also a great source of protein, healthy fats, and many other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Moreover, it helps reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and also decrease the risk factors of diseases as salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- However, salmon is good food as it helps in healing a person after injury by protecting bone health and preventing muscle loss.
- Salmon helps in managing blood pressure and prevents excess fluid retention as it is a good source of potassium also.
Yes, mushrooms are one of the best food sources of vitamin D but the ones that are treated with UV light. Let us read about other benefits also of mushrooms.
- Mushrooms are, however, best to add to your diet as they do not contain any fat. They are low in sodium, and calories and are cholesterol-free. Moreover, they are a rich source of fiber, vitamins, m minerals, and other nutrients.
- Being rich in antioxidants mushrooms help the body from the damage of free radicals that can lead to heart diseases and cancer.
- It helps improve the cholesterol levels in the body as it contains beta-glucan which is a form of soluble dietary fiber Also, it helps in regulating blood sugar and reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Moreover, mushrooms are rich in Potassium which further keeps the heart, and muscles healthy and is extremely important when it comes to heart, muscle, and nerve function.
3. Egg Yolk
Did you know a 100g of the egg contains 218 Iu of vitamin D? However, the eggs from hens that are raised outside in sun or fed vitamin D enriched feed contain much higher levels. Well, it is one the best vitamin D-rich foods and adding them to your meal also offers other health benefits as follows.
- It lowers the risk of gastrointestinal distress as it contains proteins, such as phosvitin.
- Moreover, egg yolk helps boost the immune system due to the presence of compounds called sulfated glycopeptides. It also protects the body against various diseases and infections.
- However, it helps lower blood pressure as egg yolks consist of several compounds called peptides further lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Egg yolk is also good for the vision of the eyes as it contains carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin. They further protect against cataracts and macular degeneration.
4. Soy Milk
It is a plant-based milk product and contains the same amount of protein as cow’s milk. Soy milk is, however, among the best dietary sources of vitamin D. Below are its other benefits of it.
- Soy helps improve the levels of good cholesterol and prevents heart diseases. It is a good source of vitamins, minerals, and polyunsaturated fats which together promote better heart health.
- Moreover, soy prevents acne and reduces hyperpigmentation which is a condition of darkening of the skin). Moreover, it has anti-ageing properties.
- Also, it is good for frizzy and unmanageable hair as it is rich in protein keeping the texture of your hair healthy and soft.
- Being rich in calcium, it is beneficial for your bones as it helps keeps them stronger, maintain their structure intact, and reduce the risk of fractures.
Bananas are among those fruits containing Vitamin D, so you can yes rely on them for it. It is among the best vitamin D-rich fruits. Know more about benefits of banana.
- Banana helps in all over digestive health, controls blood sugar levels, and reduces cholesterol levels as they are a good source of soluble and insoluble fibers.
- Moreover, being rich in potassium, minerals, and electrolytes keeps your heart healthy by protecting your cardiovascular system against high blood pressure.
- Also, banana is rich in magnesium so it is beneficial to consume after a workout as it helps with muscle contraction and relaxes the increase in lean muscle mass.
- Banana is rich in vitamin A, vitamin E, lutein, and antioxidants that are good for vision and reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
Tofu is a rich source of vitamin D. In 18 grams of serving it has 139 IU. However, including this in your diet also gives you other benefits as well.
- Tofu is high in protein and fat is low in calories and also, contains several vitamins and minerals, like calcium and manganese.
- It helps control antinutrient content as it contains antinutrients like inhibitors and phytates.
- It improves over health as it consists of isoflavones and prevents your body from heart diseases.
- Consuming tofu also helps prevent you from various types of cancer like breast cancer, endometrial, colon, stomach, and prostate cancers.
7. Fortified Cereals
Consuming fortified cereals for breakfast can be the best way to provide your body with vitamin D. It is one of the best vitamin D-rich foods and has a lot to offer to your body.
- Eating fortified cereals is a good way to intake maximum nutrients into your body and help reduce the risk of nutrient deficiency.
- However, cereal that contains folic acid is beneficial for pregnant women as it prevents birth defects.
- It is moreover, beneficial for you as you get aged as they help your bones be strong, help your digestion, and prevent heart issues.
- Fortified cereals boost the nutrition in children and help them grow healthily.
How Much Vitamin D Is Sufficient For You?
Dietary preferences can vary from age to age and many factors including age, latitude, season, sun exposure, clothing, and all. Like, the National Institute of Health (NIH) recommends 10-20 micrograms intake on daily basis. So, here we have enlisted the vitamin D requirement as per age.
|Vitamin D Requirement As Per Age||Values/Day|
|Up to 12 months||400 IU or 10 mcg|
|1-70 years||600 IU or 15 mcg|
|Above 70 years||800 IU or 20 mcg|
|Pregnant women||4000 IU or 100 mcg|
Note: IU is International Unit and mcg is Micrograms
Vitamin D Supplements Vs Natural Sunlight
Nothing is better than being natural. However, the best way to give your body vitamin D is also the best if you provide it naturally. So go out and absorb the sunlight for 10 minutes daily as it will fulfill your daily recommended requirement of Vitamin D.
However, you don’t need a capsule to fulfill this requirement. Moreover, going out in the sun preferably in the morning or mid-day for at least 3 days a week will give you your daily dosage of Vitamin D (400-600 IU per day).
Which Are The Best Vitamin D-Rich Foods?
The best vitamin D foods are egg yolk, orange juice, types of fish like salmon, herrings, tuna, sardines, fortified foods, cereal, and oatmeal.
What Are The Symptoms Of Vitamin D Deficiency?
Well, the common symptoms of the deficiency of vitamin D are:
- Feeling low in energy all the time and feeling tired.
- You are experiencing hair loss.
- You often get sick and infected.
- You are experiencing muscle and bone pain.
Are Pills Important To Take For Vitamin D?
No, you don’t need to consume any kind of pills for vitamin D. However, giving your body DV through natural sources like sun, eggs, soy milk, and others is the best.
Is It Ok To Intake Vitamin D Daily?
If you are providing your body with 1,000 to 2,000 IU per day of vitamin D from a natural source every day, then yes it is safe. However, too much intake of vitamin D can result in kidney injury and even kidney failure.
Fed up with eating boring foods? Or ignoring yummy foods in the worry of gaining weight? Well, then hello! Fitelo has a yummy and healthy recipe for zucchini noodles which will satisfy your taste buds completely and put an end to your noodle craving.
So, vitamin D has several potential benefits like improving your heart health, and immune system, improving your mood swings, getting you of depression etc. It is an essential vitamin and the best way to provide your body with it is through natural sources of vitamin D. Sitting in sun, or taking the heat of the sun only for 10 minutes is also enough for everyday intake of it. Fitelo guides you with the best vitamin D-rich foods vegetarian like mushrooms and others like eggs. They are, however, easily available on market and easy to include in your diet.
Contact Us Today
Your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you to make healthy and better food choices altogether. So, be aware and take care. The important thing to consider is your own health before starting a diet that is restrictive. Therefore, always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long happy life.