Make the most of your mushrooms with this hearty mushroom…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 50,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 70+ countries globally
- 10,000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Well, talking practically then, no one takes the first step toward health until any kind of complication enters life. And when comes the health issue then everyone gets afraid and wonders how did it happen? Similarly, hypothyroidism is a common disease that you all must have heard about and the people from age of 12 years to older ones tend to suffer from it. But it is never too late to protect yourself from this disease especially when you follow a proper diet chart for hypothyroidism. Also, you can avoid this situation in life if you take care of your health and make it a priority. However, let us read further, more about it.
What Is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid is a condition in which your thyroid gland stops producing enough of certain crucial hormones in the bloodstream. This further, causes the metabolism to get slow and might make you feel tired. However, it is a common situation and its symptoms might not be noticeable at the early stage.
From small to big symptoms you should be aware of all, as every symptom is a risk for a problem.
- You might feel tired and weak all the time.
- Even at room temperature, you might feel cold.
- Also, there can be a situation of constipation causing discomfort.
- Your skin might get dry even if it is oily.
- Even if you are eating a good diet, there might be a gain in weight.
- It might get difficult for you to make sounds while speaking which is the condition of hoarseness.
- Muscles Of your body might get weakened, stiff, and tender and joints also may cause pain.
- In this situation, there is also the risk of heart stroke as the cholesterol level is elevated.
- You might get heavier than normal or have irregular menstrual periods.
- Moreover, you might have depression symptoms even if everything is going perfectly around you.
- There are chances that your memory might get weak or there can be even loss of memory.
- Your thyroid glands can increase in size causing irregular cell growth.
- Also, there can be hair loss or thinning of hair.
Weight Loss With Thyroid
Pele, think it is difficult to lose weight during thyroid. Well, if you think the same then watch the below video to clear this doubt of this yours. Fitelo has expert dietitians and doctors who help you get rid of your thyroid and also, get in shape.
Causes of Hypothyroidism
There are several causes of hypothyroidism and below are some essential ones.
1. Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
- Well, the most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto’s thyroiditis which is the inflammation of the thyroid gland and also, can be caused by a viral infection.
- It is, however, an autoimmune disorder in which your body produces antibodies that further, attack and destroy the thyroid gland.
2. Radiation Therapy
- During certain cancers like lymphoma, radiation therapy is done around the neck area.
- So, this process damages the cells in the thyroid making it difficult for the gland to produce hormones.
3. Radioactive Iodine Treatment:
- This process is for those who have an overactive thyroid gland called hyperthyroidism.
- However, during this process the radiation used destroys the cells in the thyroid gland, leading to hypothyroidism.
4. Use Of Certain Medications
- Medicines for heart problems, psychiatric conditions, and cancer often tend to affect the production of thyroid hormone.
- These medicines include amiodarone, interferon alpha, and interleukin-2.
5. Thyroid Surgery
- When surgery is done to remove the thyroid, it usually leads to hypothyroidism.
- However, this is possible in the case when only part of the thyroid is removed.
6. Deficiency Of Iodine
- As a fact, your body needs iodine as it does not produce itself.
- Therefore, it is important to intake salt and foods like eggs, dairy products, and fish for iodine.
- In some cases after pregnancy, a woman can go through thyroiditis as inflammation of the thyroid might occur.
- However, in this situation, there is an increase in thyroid hormone levels and a decrease in thyroid hormone production.
8. Problems With The Thyroid At Birth
- Well, in some cases thyroid glands do not develop correctly or work properly, so babies are born with this problem.
- However, this condition is called congenital hypothyroidism.
9. Pituitary Gland Damage
- The pituitary gland makes TSH- thyroid stimulating hormone which signals the thyroid how hormone it should make and release.
- Although it is rare, sometimes the pituitary gland interferes with the production of thyroid hormone by getting damaged or disordered.
10. Disorder Of The Hypothalamus
- Hypothalamus if it stops producing enough hormone called TRH in the brain then also, it can cause the same problem.
- However, it is a very rare and extreme case, in this TRH affects TSH from the pituitary gland causing hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism Risk Factors And Complications
The risk factors of hypothyroidism include the following risk factors.
- Women who are aged are however most likely to develop hypothyroidism.
- Also, if someone in the family has an autoimmune disease.
- Race also matters, like if you are white or Asian.
- If there is prematurely graying hair.
- Autoimmune disorders like type 1 diabetes, celiac disease, pernicious anemia, vitiligo, etc.
- Bipolar disorder, down syndrome, turner syndrome.
The following are the most common and seen complications of hypothyroidism.
- If the hormone level goes very low, then there might be a problem with balance, especially in older women.
- However, the gland can swell and change the appearance of the neck if the thyroid produces more hormones.
- Moreover, hypothyroidism can increase the levels of LDL which might lead to heart problems.
- A very little thyroid hormone, therefore, can lead to ovulation and make it hard to conceive.
- Also, there can be pain in joints, muscles, and tendonitis.
- There can be memory problems like a shortage of memory or loss of it. Also, lapse in concentration and you might feel depressed.
- You can gain weight or it might get difficult to lose weight as your metabolism slows down.
Diagnosis Of Hypothyroidism
If you have symptoms of hypothyroidism, your doctor will order blood tests to check hormone levels. These may include:
- Physical exam: Under this doctor will check your thyroid gland and will check if there are any changes like dry skin, swelling, a slower heart rate, or more.
- Blood tests: Doctors, however, can ask for blood tests which are further two types.
- TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) test, which is a very sensitive test and most important for hypothyroidism. Therefore, it measures how much T4 is being asked to make.
- The T4 test is the test in which T4 in the blood is attached to thyroxine-binding which is a protein. However, just 1%–2% of T4 in the blood is unattached and can get into cells.
Diet Chart For Hypothyroidism
It is very important to follow a proper diet to stay away from or prevent hypothyroidism. However, the best way is to follow a proper diet chart for the thyroid which should include the best foods for thyroid patients.
- Meal 1 – Early Morning
Jeera coriander water
- Meal 2 – Breakfast
- Meal 3 – Mid Meal
Any fruit except mango, banana, Chiku
- Meal 4 – Lunch
Aloo sabzi with roti
- Meal 5 – Evening Snack
Milk tea without sugar with a bowl of roasted makhana
- Meal 6 – Late Evening
Chia seeds water
- Meal 7 – Dinner
Mix vegetable soup
- Meal 8 – Post Dinner
Best Foods For Hypothyroid Patients
To prevent and normalize the condition of hypothyroidism, it is important to include the following foods in the diet chart for hypothyroidism.
Dairy products like yogurt are rich in iodine and are nutritious for the optimal working of the thyroid gland.
Fruits like apples, pears, plums, and citrus fruits are rich in pectins, which help detoxify the body of mercury which is connected to thyroid problems.
Avocados are the best to add to the thyroid diet chart as they have antioxidants, good fats, fiber, and essential nutrients and are best for people who have imbalanced functioning thyroid. Therefore, you can try and add the below recipe of avocado to your meal.
- Legumes and Beans
Beans and legumes are rich in Zinc and fiber that regulates the digestive system and are the healthiest food options to add to the diet for hypothyroidism.
- Green Tea
Green tea has antioxidants like catechins that help the liver burn off the excess fat and improves thyroid function and also improve metabolism.
- Whole Grains
Foods like oats, brown rice, and quinoa are best for your metabolism and help your thyroid gland. Therefore, make sure to add whole grains to the diet chart for hypothyroidism.
- Nuts and Seeds
Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and nuts are rich sources of zinc, which is an important mineral for hypothyroidism.
Tea For Thyroid
Do you have thyroid and want to lose weight without triggering your thyroid more? Well, then watch this recipe by Dietitian Mac and know the recipe for tea that you can consume in thyroid and also, lose weight.
Minerals To Add In Diet Chart For Hypothyroidism
It is, however, important to add foods rich in certain minerals and vitamins for the improvement of the thyroid.
A deficiency of iodine in the body can lead to hypothyroidism. So, therefore, it is an essential mineral to add to the diet chart for hypothyroidism.
- Vitamin D
Low levels of vitamin D impact thyroid function and hypothyroid symptoms get worse. So, in your diet chart for hypothyroidism, you must add vitamin D foods.
However, even zinc is required for thyroid hormone production and thyroid function. The deficiency of zinc can lead to thyroid problems and other health problems also.
This mineral is, however, needed for thyroid hormone production and also, protects the thyroid from damage that is caused by oxidative stress. Therefore, food rich in selenium should be the best diet for hypothyroidism.
Like other minerals. Iron is also very essential as its deficiency also can result in hypothyroidism.
Deficient magnesium leads to hypothyroidism and thyroid dysfunction as well. So, therefore, people suffering from this problem should eat magnesium-rich foods.
- Vitamin B12
The deficiency of B12 also worsens hypothyroidism symptoms so it is important to add vitamin B12 rich foods to the diet.
Foods To Avoid In Diet For Hypothyroidism
The foods that you should not add to the diet chart for hypothyroidism are as follows.
- Soy Milk
Dos And Don’ts For Diet For Hypothyroidism
|Eat a healthy diet||Eat sugary foods|
|Keep your diabetes in control||Exercise without a doctor’s consultation|
|Don’t smoke and drink||Uncooked cruciferous vegetables|
|A good intake of iodine||Eat fatty and processed foods|
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Which Drinks Should Be Included In Diet For Hypothyroidism?
Ans. During hypothyroidism, you should drink ashwagandha tea, chamomile tea, gotu kola and licorice teas as they increase the production of thyroid hormone and also have other benefits.
Q. Which Foods Can Worsen The Hypothyroidism?
Ans. Foods that are fatty, fried, or frozen are, therefore, not good for thyroid patients as they might trigger the thyroid glands.
Q. Which Vegetables Should Be Included In Diet For Hypothyroidism?
Ans. Cruciferous vegetables like kale, brussels sprouts, radishes, and cauliflower inhibit your thyroid gland and also, can process iodine and produce thyroid hormones.
Q. Is Chicken Good To Add To Diet For Hypothyroidism?
Ans. However, grilled chicken breast isn’t only a good source of lean protein but also provides zinc. This further, produces enough hormones for your body and is yes, good to add to your diet. Try the below recipe by Fitelo and enjoy the benefits.
Q. Is Lemon Juice Good To Add To Diet For Hypothyroidism?
Ans. Lemon is yes, good to add to the thyroid diet plan as it normalizes an overactive thyroid by stimulating the thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormone. Moreover, it is the best fat burner.
Q. Which Flour You Should Eat In Diet For Hypothyroidism?
Ans. In the thyroid diet plan, you should either eat whole grains or whole wheat flour. But make sure it is not processed or maida.
Q. Is Coconut Good To Include In Diet For Hypothyroidism?
Ans. If you have a low thyroid level, then coconut water is good as it helps stabilizes the working of thyroid glands.
Q. Which Seeds Are Best To Add To Diet For Hypothyroidism?
Ans. Flax seeds are safe and one of the best seeds as they normalize the function of the thyroid gland and also have other health benefits.
Q. Can You Eat Broccoli Or Cabbage During Thyroid?
Ans. Well, the best way to answer this is through the below video. Watch to know whether you should eat broccoli or not.
Do you have a busy life and so you are unable to follow a proper diet to lose weight? Well, then don’t worry, as you can lose weight even without it. You just need to follow some weight loss tips by Fitelo, and you are ready to go.
Well, as discussed hypothyroidism is a condition in which thyroid glands do not produce enough hormones. But it is never too late to diagnose it, to even prevent it, or get rid of it. So, here Fitelo has mentioned all the important details of hypothyroidism, the dos and don’ts of it, and most importantly the foods that you should add and avoid in the diet chart of hypothyroidism. The diet chat for hypothyroidism is, therefore, safe and effective as it is recommended by the best dietitians of Fitelo and you can, however, blindly trust it.
Contact Us Today
Your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you to make healthy and better food choices altogether. So, be aware and take care. The important thing to consider is your own health before starting a diet that is restrictive. Therefore, always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long happy life.