Did you get it? Your lifestyle, stress, and dietary choices can create blunders in your life. Not only headache, but uncontrolled blood pressure can cause serious health problems like heart attack, and stroke.
But don’t panic. Dive into this article to know what can cause high blood pressure, and how to lower blood pressure and the high blood pressure diet plan.
But before going into the boring stuff, have a look at this relatable conversation between 2 friends.
Ally: Hey Buddy, Why are you so tensed, and what I am seeing, you have gulped down 6
cups of coffee and cigarette butts everywhere?
Neil: Don’t ask! The deadline is near and I am too far from my target.
Ally: Okay! So, is coffee and smoke gonna help you to achieve your target? No, Right! But
you know what? It can only help you to shoot up your blood pressure?
Neil: Oh! let me have some fruit with salt.
Ally: (Throw the salt away) Sprinkling raw salt will also elevate your BP.
Neil: Stop it yaar! This Headache is killing me too.
Ally: You have raised your blood pressure and now it is causing Headache.
Neil: Is it? No more Caffeine and Nicotine from now
What Is Blood Pressure?
Our heart circulates blood all over the body, by pumping it into the arteries. So in this process, blood puts pressure on the artery walls and this pressure is called Blood Pressure.
What Is High Blood Pressure?
The blood pressure keeps on fluctuating. It falls and rises all day. When it elevates from the normal range, we call it high blood pressure or hypertension. Thus, if the heart pumps more blood and arteries get narrower, the blood pressure would be high. To get rid of this, BP patients should follow High blood pressure diet plan.
Reading Of Blood Pressure
You might have heard from a nurse or doctor about the top and bottom blood pressure. Blood pressure’s reading has two numbers: Top Number and Bottom Number. Reading of the blood pressure is given in millimeters of mercury (mm-Hg).
- Top Number: The top or upper number is Systolic pressure. It indicates the pressure in arteries when your heart beats and pumps out the blood.
- Bottom number: The bottom or lower number is Diastolic pressure. It is the pressure in arteries between beats of the heart.
How To Know Your Blood Pressure?
1. Low blood pressure
When your top reading or systolic pressure is less than 90 or bottom reading or diastolic blood pressure is less than 60; then it is Low Blood Pressure or Hypotension. Not getting enough fluid, blood loss, medications, and also other medical conditions can be the reason for low blood pressure.
2. Normal blood pressure
The normal blood pressure range is less than 120 on top and less than 80 on the bottom
The reading range 120-139 on the top and 80-89 on the bottom is the pre-stage of High blood pressure.
4. High Blood Pressure Or Hypertension
High blood pressure has two stages. If the top reading is 140-159 and the bottom is 90-99, you are in stage 1. Moreover, if the upper one is 160 or higher and 100 or more on the bottom, it is stage 2 of Hypertension
5. Isolated Systolic Hypertension
In older adults, sometimes the upper reading is 130 or higher, but the lower is less than 80. This problem is called Isolated Systolic Hypertension. It occurs mostly due to age-related stiffening of the major arteries.
Symptoms Of High Blood Pressure
Many people with high blood pressure have no symptoms. So they may not be aware of anything wrong. That is why high blood pressure is often known as The Silent Killer. Some of the symptoms one can have are:
- Impaired vision
- Falling memory
- Breathing shortness
- Pain over the heart
- Gastrointestinal disturbance
Furthermore, high blood pressure can be detected easily. So once you get aware of it, you can work on it timely. But keep in mind that it can be dangerous if not treated.
So, plan your high blood pressure diet accordingly.
Top Causes Of High Blood Pressure
Many factors can cause high blood pressure. From a person’s food choice to age, everything matters. So, here are some key factors which can be the reason for High BP.
Ageing can be one of the reasons for high blood pressure. Our Vascular system or body’s network of blood vessels changes with age and elevates our blood pressure.
Being overweight is a risk factor for high blood pressure. If you are Overweight, it gets hard for the heart to pump blood throughout the body. So, this extra effort puts strain on arteries. In return, arteries resist blood flow and cause high blood pressure.
3) Dietary Choices
We are what we eat. So obviously, our diet choices manage our body system. Foods high in salt, sugar, saturated and trans fats can raise blood pressure and damage heart health. Also, not having enough fruits and vegetables can be a reason for the BP issue. So, if you have made this mistake, then with a high blood pressure diet plan you can recover from it.
4) Processed Food
Mostly processed food is rich in salt and sodium, and in return, it elevates blood pressure.
5) Alcohol Consumption And Smoking
Drinking alcohol affects blood pressure in an unhealthy manner. Alcohol increases blood levels of renin (hormone), due to which blood vessels get smaller in diameter, which increases blood pressure level. On the other hand, Nicotine in cigarette smoke is a huge problem. It raises blood pressure and also the heart rate. It stresses the heart and can be the reason for heart attack or stroke.
So to sum up, your health depends on your lifestyle. The same is with blood pressure as well. Your physical activity, sleeping hours, and also diet- all can be the reason for blood pressure diseases.
Apart from these, it is also a genetic problem. In some cases, Stress & Anxiety can also be key factors. Even Cardiovascular, renal diseases & high blood viscosity can cause Hypertension. But whatever the condition is; one can balance BP by maintaining a proper diet plan.
BP Patients’ Diet Plan : High Blood Pressure Diet Plan
For people with High BP, it is important to follow a high blood pressure diet plan. So here we have got an overview of the best diet plan for high blood pressure patients. Some points are:
- To lower the blood pressure, restriction of sodium intake should be the utmost priority.
- Nutrients such as Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium lower blood pressure. So the diet should be nutrient-rich.
- Moreover, consume low fats and balanced diet including fresh fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy foods.
- Limit your salt intake to a teaspoonful (6g) per day. Try to use tata lite salt.
- Restrict foods that are high in saturated fats, cholesterol, and also trans fats.
- Eat more whole-grain foods, fish, poultry, and also nuts.
- Say no to sweets, sugary drinks, and red meat.
- Lastly, no raw salt on fruits and salads.
Healthy Meal Plan To Lower Blood Pressure
To lower blood pressure, BP patients should follow a High blood pressure diet plan. Therefore, here we are to give a brief of the Meal plan for a BP patient. High Blood Pressure patients should take small and frequent eight meals per day. There should be a gap of 2 to 3 hours per meal.
High Blood Pressure Diet Plan
Meal 1/Early Morning Meal
Coriander/Jeera Water with Soaked and Peeled Almonds.
Wheat (50%) + Wheat Bran stuffed roti with seasonal veg + curd without salt (can also add roasted jeera or dried mint leaves) or Mint Chutney.
Meal 3/Mid Morning Snack
Brown bread vegetable sandwich/wheat (50%) + wheat bran (50%) roti with seasonal veg + curd (optional)
Meal 5/Evening Drink
Kacchi lassi (80% water and 20% milk)/Peppermint Tea/Milk tea without Sugar/Hibiscus tea or any other flower tea
Meal 6/Evening Snack
Any fruit or salad (no salt, can add lemon)
Bran flakes chaat/Cooked vegetables bowl/Mix veg raita/Wheat bran flakes in milk or curd
Meal 8/Late Evening Snack
Chamomile Tea/Hot Water/Hot Lemon Water
11 Foods To Eat If You Have High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure can bother anyone, but making the right food choices can help you lower high blood pressure.
So, we bring for you the list of 11 foods to eat if you have high blood pressure
- Beans and Lentils
- Chia and flax seeds
- Citrus Fruits
- Pumpkin Seeds
Foods To Avoid If You Are Following High Blood Pressure Diet Plan
The ones with high blood pressure should stay away from products that are high in salt, sugar, and fats.
So, here is the list
- Beverages full of sugar
- Bread and Rolls
- Canned soups
- Pizza and Pasta dishes
- Salted nuts
- Sauces and Gravies
Dietician For High Blood Pressure
Be it a diet plan for weight management, lifestyle management or high blood pressure diet plan, an expert is always needed. An expert, who can suggest you what to eat and what not to. And if you have already searched a lot and not found the right one, then stop your search at FITELO. This is because we have experts to deal with the same. Hence, we are here to give your heart a healthy life.
Why Fitelo? Because we provide high blood pressure diet plan along with:
- Telephonic Counselling.
- The Diet Plan according to your body/lifestyle
- 100+ Dietitians.
- 15000+ Transformations
- 3000+ Reviews on Google and Facebook.
- More than 5 lakh followers on Social Media.
Choose your dietitian smartly. Book a Free Consultation now!
Facts And Figures Of High Blood Pressure
- Approximately 972 million people, which means 26% of the World’s population are suffering from High Blood Pressure. What’s more- it is expected to increase to 29% by 2025.
- According to an estimate of the World Health Organization (2003): “high blood pressure causes one in every eight deaths worldwide, making hypertension the third leading killer in the world.”
- In a joint press release of the World Health Organization and Imperial College London, significant gaps in diagnosis and treatment of high blood pressure are revealed. The study says that about 580 million people had high blood pressure (41% of women and 51% of men). But they were unaware of their condition because they never got diagnosed.
- High Blood Pressure significantly keeps the heart, brain, and kidneys at risk. In nutshell, it damages the entire body.
So, following a proper diet should be the utmost priority for those suffering from high blood pressure disease.
Medicines are not enough to lower your blood pressure, your healthy lifestyle also matters a lot. So don’t forget these five points if you are battling with high blood pressure.
- Take small and frequent meals
- Get a Good Night’s sleep.
- Manage Stress.
- Say bye to caffeine and heat-producing foods
So, take care of your Heart and follow a high blood pressure diet plan. After all, you only have one life. So, live it to the fullest!
More Blogs For You
- 5 Health Benefits of Amla Juice
- Pomegranate-The Miracle Fruit. Also, Why Doctors and Dietitians Love Anar
- Diet Plan for Depression
Our Customer Stories
- Read Priya’s Story of Post Pregnancy Weight Loss with FITELO’s diet plan
- Our Fat Loss Dietitian made it possible again as Saloni lost Inches and Fat! So read more to know how you can too
- Is Your Weight Stuck? Then Our Weight Management Diet Plan Is The Solution! Join Now
Exciting Recipes To Try
Are you also suffering from High Blood Pressure? Then this common yet forgotten kitchen item is the solution for you! Methi or fenugreek has more benefits than just being a natural flavouring agent for our curries! So, check the remaining benefits out here. Also read how you can consume it for weight loss.
Are you looking for a massive transformation? If yes, then for any query or in case you are looking for an online nutrition consultation, reach out to us at +919402850007.
If you have High Blood Pressure, please consult your doctor/physician/dietitian before consuming anything. This is a generalized diet plan that caters to the needs of people suffering from high BP as a whole. So, kindly follow the do’s and don’ts seriously.