White sauce pasta is every household favorite. The creamy, rich,…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 25,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
PCOD vs PCOS- Are they the same?
Is there any difference?
Usually, women get confused about both and use the terms interchangeably. However, both terms have different symptoms and treatments. PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) and PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) are both conditions that are related to the ovaries and caused by hormonal disturbance and there are many significant differences. Let’s have a closer look at these terms and know their symptoms, causes, and treatment.
What Is PCOD- Polycystic Ovarian Disease?
Every month, an egg is released by women’s ovaries. However, when these two ovaries release immature or partially-matured eggs that turn into a cyst then this issue is known as PCOD.
It mainly happens when the female is:
- Eats excessive junk food
- Going through hormonal disturbance
- Has extreme stress
All these disorders finally result in infertility, irregular periods, hair loss, abdominal weight gain, etc.
It becomes more dangerous when the size of the ovaries increases and it starts emitting a heavy amount of androgen, which affects women’s bodies and fertility unfavorably.
What Is PCOS – Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
The disruption of the endocrine system leads to PCOS. In this situation, ovaries secrete excessive androgens, which eventually restrict the development as well as the release of the eggs. This furthermore, results in building cysts, usually above ten follicular cysts per month, and leads to anovulation as it stops releasing the eggs. The repercussion of this order is infertility, excessive obesity, and hair loss are some of its symptoms.
What Is The Difference Between PCOD vs PCOS?
PCOS is actually more critical than PCOD. Because of this, there are many symptoms that are exclusive to both. Let’s learn more about PCOD/PCOS conditions.
|Characteristics||In PCOS, the overall endocrine system is affected.||PCOD results when an imbalance of hormones occurs.|
|The seriousness of the condition||As a whole endocrine system of women is affected, it can cause metabolic syndrome and is little significant when compared to PCOD||PCOD is a lifestyle condition and can easily be managed through dietary and lifestyle changes.|
|Diagnosis||In PCOS, ultrasound images show larger ovaries which are around 1.5 – 3 times larger than the normal-appearing ovaries.||In PCOD the female ovaries are filled with follicles and do not appear much larger|
|Causes||PCOS can be caused due to genetic/hereditary conditions, Hormonal imbalances, insulin resistance, and inflammation||It can also result due to an imbalance of hormones, genetics, emotional stress, obesity, and bad dietary habits.|
|Occurrence||It is relatively low when compared to PCOD.||PCOD is a commonly observed condition affecting up to 1/3 of women all over the world.|
|PCOD vs PCOS Symptoms||PCOS affects metabolically and the symptoms might start showing during the teenage years. Some common symptoms of PCOS include loss of hair, male pattern baldness, irritability/mood swings, headache, weight gain, and infertility||In PCOD the symptoms may include abdominal weight gain, irregular menstrual cycle, infertility, and hair loss.|
|Complications||Women suffering from PCOS are at a higher risk of developing cardiovascular disorders, diabetes, obesity, and even endometrial cancer.||There are no such complications with PCOD.|
How To Improve PCOD/PCOS Naturally?
Dietary and lifestyle changes can bring a crucial difference in women who are suffering from PCOD and PCOS. These changes are related to alcohol consumption, diet, physical activity, sleeping habits, and cigarettes.
1. Diet And Eating Habits
- The diet is one of the crucial factors in maintaining PCOD and PCOS. Through current research, the BMR for healthy females ranges from 18.5 to 24.9. Thus, over body weight is related to PCOS & PCOD and can even lead to complications like diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and increased blood pressure.
- With the control of diet, you can improve insulin resistance, decrease weight, and improve the regularity of periods.
- So, in your diet, you can take more protein like lean proteins, whole grain flour, and fiber foods for instance sweet potato, pumpkin, nuts, beans, etc.
- However, increasing the intake of leafy vegetables such as spinach, and broccoli and avoid consuming carbohydrates like rice, sugar, etc.
2. Physical Activity
- Physical activities help us reduce body fat and keep our bodies active throughout the day. Implementing regular exercise for 30 minutes in your regular routine will help you in maintaining your ideal body weight.
- Other physical activities like yoga, dancing, running, swimming, etc., also help you to improve regular periods, and resolve fertility issues to some extent.
- Regular exercise with a diet is one of the perfect therapies to keep your body and mind active during any disease condition. So, never ignore what you feed and what you do with your body.
3. Sleeping Habits
- Besides your eating habits, sleeping habits also play a crucial part while maintaining a healthy weight. Feeling sleepy during the daytime is a common disorder seen in women suffering from PCOS or PCOD.
- It is recommended to sleep at least 9 hours per day.
- Try to fix your caffeine routine. Start avoiding the intake of caffeine after 2:00 PM, avoid alcohol in the evening, and have heavy meals for dinner.
- Take a warm bubble bath to maintain a relaxing bedtime routine and never use electronic devices in the bed.
4. Alcohol and Cigarettes
- The consumption of cigarettes and alcohol will increase the production of androgen. Consumption of tobacco in daily routine is unhealthy and prohibited in women with PCOD or PCOS.
- Also, smoking increases metabolic syndrome that is harmful to health. Nicotine is present which worsens the androgen levels in women which is bad for women suffering from PCOD and PCOS.
- In fact, alcohol consumption is strictly restricted in PCOS or PCOD as it causes a temporary increase in estrogen and progesterone levels.
- This causes disturbance in hormonal changes that occur during the menstrual cycle.
5. Seed Cycling For PCOD/PCOS
- Seed cycling is a method wherein different seeds such as sesame, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are eaten in sync with the menstrual cycle.
- The idea is to consume flax and pumpkin seeds during the first phase i.e. the follicular phase which lasts for the first 14 days of the month. Followed by, a combination of sesame and sunflower seeds during the second or luteal phase i.e. from day 15-28 days.
Why You Are Struggling To Loose Weight With PCOS?
Struggling to lose weight with PCOS. So, these 4 factors can be the reason for not losing weight with this syndrome. Watch out this video and get to know the weight loss tips while struggling with PCOS.
Myths and Facts About PCOD vs PCOS
PCOD/PCOS is a leading endocrinal disorder in women. However, there are several myths prevalent regarding this that can be due to lack of awareness. So, let’s clear all your doubts pertaining to PCOD/PCOS
- PCOS or PCOD is Not Curable
However, in early diagnosis and depending upon the symptoms, women with PCOD or PCOS can be treated. But it is not necessary for every woman to get treatment because diet and lifestyle change can control hormonal changes in most cases.
- Facing Issues to Conceive When Diagnosed with PCOS vs PCOD
It is not true. Women with PCOD and PCOS issues can get pregnant with help of proper guidance of medication, diet, and lifestyle changes.
- Losing Overweight Diet PCOD or PCOS
Weight loss diets like keto diet may help to reduce the symptoms but it does not help to treat the disease. But yes, the reduced weight will also help you from further complications of PCOS.
PCOD vs PCOS Treatment For Hormonal Imbalance
Let’s understand various treatments involve for the hormonal imbalance that occurs due to PCOS/PCOD in women.
- The hormonal imbalance of PCOS and PCOD can increase androgens or male hormones in women’s bodies. This will lead to excess hair growth on the face in women.
- Doctors suggest oral contraceptive medicines to treat hair growth and hair loss in their patients.
- These medicines will help to suppress male hormone production in women with bilateral PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and PCOD.
- Special hair removing creams (medicated) are available to remove unwanted facial hair. Or you can prefer laser hair removal treatments for pain-free and permanent solutions.
- Females with PCOS or PCOD can also go for IVF (In vitro fertilization), Artificial insemination. Here, in this treatment, the egg is fertilized with the sperm in the lab.
- These sperms are then transferred into the mother’s womb for implantation. This process is the final and one of the right treatment options for PCOD problems or polycystic ovary syndrome if medications and surgery do not work.
How PCOD Diet Plan Of Fitelo Changed Nisha’s Life?
Discussion of women’s reproductive health is always out of the box. It is still a taboo in India and many other Asian countries.
But the time has changed. We at Fitelo also help women to fight against this disorder and can get avail the personal session on PCOD/PCOS. You can even watch our client’s successful weight loss story, who was dealing with PCOD.
However, always remember a few things:
- Always consult the nearest gynecologist if you are having irregular periods for more than 3 months.
- Above all, start including home remedies for PCOD including diet and lifestyle changes with regular exercise.
- Excess hair growth on the face and body along with body weight are common signs and symptoms of PCOS and PCOD.
- Consult a dietitian or nutritionist to naturally cure the problem with the PCOD diet plan.
Natural Remedies For PCOD vs PCOS
Now that we have shared the benefits of exercise and a healthy diet for curing PCOD/PCOS, our Indian kitchen has a lot of natural remedies that can help. Include these 5 five Indian superfoods that can help in curing PCOD/PCOS are-
- Cinnamon: It helps in stabilizing sugar levels and it is a natural substitute for metformin drugs.
- Turmeric: It helps in balancing hormones.
- Ajwain: Cures indigestion, bloating, and spasms caused by pcod.
- Fenugreek Seeds: Reduces elevated sugar levels. Fenugreek seeds water can be a great start to your day while managing weight loss with PCOD.
- Amla: Powerful antioxidant helps in removing toxins from the body and therefore helps in weight reduction.
Drinks For PCOD/PCOS
Try these drinks to get rid of PCOD naturally.
1. Fenugreek Seeds Water
- Soak 1 Tsp fenugreek seeds in water (overnight) and drink in the morning.
- Or boil some fenugreek seeds in water for a few minutes then drink it.
2. Ajwain Cinnamon Water
- In 240 ml of water add 1 tsp of Carom and 1 Cinnamon Stick.
- Keep the mixture on a slow flame for about 5 minutes till it boils.
- Strain out and drink.
Our Inspiring Transformation Stories
- Want to get a toned body? Then Our nutrition diet service will do the trick
- Healthy Life= Healthy Mind! Read Divya’s inspiring story
The right treatment for PCOD and PCOS will consist of on-time diagnosis and the appropriate treatment modalities that can help to overcome the symptoms. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, improving sleeping habits, and stopping consuming alcohol and cigarettes are also equally crucial to treating hormonal imbalance and conditions related.
Contact Us Today
Your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog is for information purposes only. If you find any of the above symptoms, please contact the health professionals or dietitian or nutritionist for PCOD/PCOS.