Kulcha, a mildly leavened flatbread variety, is an invention of…
Table of content
START YOUR FAT TO FIT JOURNEY WITH FITELO
- 25,000+ Happy Customers
- Serving in 57+ countries globally
- 4000+ online reviews with 4.5+ rating
Nothing in this world beats the happiness of having a wholesome plate of homemade “dal-rice” or as we Indians call it “dal-chawal”. It is a staple in every Indian household. Imagine a plate of hot dal-rice made by a mom on a Sunday afternoon. Aah, priceless! Now imagine giving all that up, isn’t it sad ? so many people have stopped eating rice because they believe rice is a big no if on a diet or trying to lose weight. But have you ever looked at the nutrients and rice benefits? Let’s get our facts right and learn about different types of rice and their benefits and which is best for weight loss!
The scientific name of rice is “Oryza Sativa”
Types Of Rice For Weight Loss
Usually, rice is categorized based on its size and shape but depending on the color there are, mainly four types of rice. Let’s learn more about rice benefits and which rice is best for weight loss.
- White Rice
- Brown Rice
- Red Rice
- Black Rice
- Samak Rice
1. White Rice
White rice is the most versatile grain consumed across the globe due to its availability and adaptability to go with anything. While most of us avoid rice because of its carb content, some people are opting for brown rice as a healthy alternative to white rice.
White Rice Benefits
- There are almost 4.3 grams of protein in 158 grams of white rice. White rice has marginally higher protein compared to brown rice.
- Due to the fiber content present in the white rice, they are easy to digest. and also keeps you satiated for a longer time.
- White rice calories are similar to roti or brown rice so you do not have to worry much about the calorie part until you are not on a calorie deficit diet.
2. Brown Rice
Brown rice benefits us in many ways, it is a fantastic whole grain that has a lot of nutritious ingredients. This rice has been awarded health advantages, which may help you fight against several health issues including obesity, diabetes, indigestion problems, and heart problems.
Brown Rice Benefits
- 195 g of brown rice contains 5g of protein therefore brown rice is a good source for your everyday protein intake. Protein is important for muscle building and tissue development of the body, hence brown rice can help in doing so.
- Brown rice performs a better job of reducing the body’s absorption of glucose because it has more fiber in the husk. This delay in the absorption of glucose by the body releases sugar slowly in the body which is very helpful for diabetic patients.
- Rice has numerous benefits when consumed often. High-protein rice is the perfect option if you are searching for protein-rich food for your vegan diet or an outstanding pre-workout meal! There are several ways brown rice may benefit the general health of your body.
3. Red Rice
It is a type of grain that is mainly red in color due to the presence of a pigment called “anthocyanin. This pigment is also the reason this rice is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s a rich source of dietary fiber which makes it great for weight loss.
Red Rice Benefits
- Red rice is perfect for weight-watchers and the fiber content in this rice makes it a much healthier choice as compared to other rice variants.
- Packed with the goodness of iron, daily consumption of this rice can help in the absorption of oxygen and circulate it to every tissue.
- Red rice helps in regulating the insulin level. The low glycemic index of this rice helps in controlling the sugar level and is good for diabetics.
4. Black Rice
This rice also known as purple rice belongs to the Oryza sativa family. The reason why it’s black or purple in color is because of a pigment called “Anthocyanin”, this pigment also helps in reducing body fat percentage.
Black Rice Benefits
- Black Rice contains dietary fiber and protein, therefore it keeps the stomach satiated for a longer time than usual.
- Purple Rice is gluten-free which makes it perfect for weight loss and for people suffering from celiac disease. Celiac is a type of disorder that destroys the small intestine, which occurs due to eating gluten-based foods. Hence eating purple rice is good for people having this disease.
- The anthocyanin pigment present in Black rice has antioxidant properties which makes it a good source of nutrients and also good for people having heart disease.
5. Samak Rice
Samak Rice also known as sama or samo seeds is widely eaten by Indians during fasting. According to the research, Samak rice is mainly grown in Korea, India, and Japan also India is known as the highest cultivar of Samak rice. The rice size and texture are comparatively different than other rice grains, these are smaller in size and broken.
Samak Rice Benefits
- Samak Rice has tons of benefits and is rich in iron, therefore consuming Samak rice can help cure health issues like anemia, iron deficiency, and weakness in the body.
- These rice are good for the digestive system, they are easily digestible they also prevent stomach-related issues such as constipation.
- Samak Rice’s benefits are really good for the body because they are packed with protein, which is important for building overall muscle and body tissues.
- Consuming Samak rice can fulfill your protein requirement and can also build your overall health.
Does Samak Rice Help In Weight Loss?
Looking at the several benefits of Samak Rice, it can definitely help in weight loss. These rice are high in protein and fiber. They are gluten-free, and low in calories which means they will keep you full for a long time and reduce your meal intake.
Rice Nutritional Value Per 100g
|Nutrients||White Rice||Brown Rice||Red Rice||Black Rice|
|Calories||369 kcal||365 kcal||109 kcal||160 kcal|
|Protein||6.94 g||7.19 g||2.3 g||4 g|
|Carbs||79.8 g||75.5 g||23 g||34 g|
How To Eat/Consume Rice For Weight Loss?
- If you are on a calorie-deficit diet, make sure to check the calorie count of the meal you are having. Controlling your portions is the best way to consume rice this way it will not affect your weight loss journey.
- The best way to consume rice or rice items is by boiling or steaming, them instead of having them fried or in any other form, this way there are no more extra added calories.
- Rice is easily digestible so always combine them with a lot of veggies or fiber-rich food so that your meal is fulfilling and healthy and it will keep your stomach fuller for a longer time.
- Avoid mixing rice with anything that contains too much oil.
- Try not to consume rice at night as you might get hunger pangs because rice is easily digestible.
Brown Rice vs White Rice- Which Rice is better for Weight Loss?
Do most fitness gurus suggest that brown rice is the perfect way to go but is it true? What is the reality? Which rice to eat to lose weight? Let’s see and compare both white and brown rice and figure out answers to this most frequently asked question with the help of Dietitian Mac Singh.
Is black or brown rice better?
Black Rice is comparatively high in fiber and protein to brown rice. Wherein brown rice is low in carbs and calories, hence both have almost the same nutritional value. It totally depends on your diet if you are looking for a low-carb diet or a high-fiber diet. You can pick depending on your diet plan.
Should I avoid rice to lose weight?
Having rice is not bad, because rice benefits are innumerable. You can have rice during your weight loss journey. Make sure to control your portions and have it with other fiber and protein-rich food instead of fried form.
Can I eat rice once a week during weight loss?
You can have any form of rice especially brown and red rice even on a daily basis. It is the quantity that matters. Rice is a good source of fiber and if eaten on a limit with protein-rich food like dal or veggies, it will definitely help in weight loss.
What rice has the lowest carbs?
According to the research black rice has the lowest carbs and is high in nutrients.
From Our Kitchen To Yours
- Chana Chaat: High Protein Snack For Weight Loss [Step By Step Recipe]
- Chicken Nuggets Recipe: KFC Style Homemade Snack [Non-Fried]- Fitelo
- Bhindi Fry Recipe: Bhindi Ki Sabji For Weight Loss [Crispy And Crunchy]
Have you ever tried Red Poha before?? Red poha (low fat & carb recipe). Red poha is also known as flattened Red rice. Wait, you don’t know about it? Much like brown rice and white rice, it also comes with some incredible health benefits.
There are different types of rice based on size, color, and shape. Rice has similar calories as compared to roti. Although there are many rice benefits as they are a good source of fiber and other vitamins. Having rice in a limited quantity with a fiber-rich food item like veggies can help you gain important nutrients present in rice.
Contact Us Today
Your search to find the right guidance to be a part of all those fat-to-fit stories ends here. So, contact us today if you are looking for a diet plan with cheat meals. Also, we will discuss how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
This blog post was written to help you to make healthy and better food choices altogether. So, be aware and take care. The important thing to consider is your own health before starting a diet that is restrictive. Therefore, always seek advice from a doctor/dietitian before starting if you have any concerns.
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy. Enjoy a long happy life.